Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images

G-Bird 2011

17.8 oz. with 8' whoopies and ridgeline bag. 64 x 120 with 101" ridgeline. No stuff sack.
    Single layer 1.7 or 1.9. I did not do a full shelf. Sort of a hybrid HH and BB
    new bird 006.jpg
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    DIY FrankenBird + 5 other DIYs
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Ogee, etc.
    Insulation
    IX UQ & TQ +fleece
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Thinking about doing a new warbird variant with the goal of minimizing weight.
    I weigh about 185
    I think I'll try one with single layer 1.1 rs and see what it weighs.
    If it feels too stretchy then my 8 yr old son gets a new 1.1 rs hammock.

If G's is 17.8 oz @ SL 1.7 or 1.9, then I should be able to do a SL 1.1 with net, a small shelf, and maybe a pocket or two on the inside for 15 oz or less.

Can't decide if I want to do the zipper on the bugnet or shock cord in the top like hangnout's no zipper bug net.

Actually, I'm torn between doing another warbird variant and a TZ-Jerry5 (no footbox, bugnet panels on sides, although I would have a shelf).

Any other thoughts on how to lighten the warbird?... or something similar?
    "I keep telling myself that if I make perfect seams, nobody will believe that I made it... " -JohnSawyer

My outdoor gear review site http://gear-report.com
    Gear reviews, DIY / MYOG projects, Outdoor gear discounts, sales and coupons updated daily

Hammock
    TrekLight Double /DIY HH/DIY WBBB
    Tarp
    GuideGear 12'x12'
    Insulation
    JCP DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling 7/64
    Quote Originally Posted by rjcress View Post
    Thinking about doing a new warbird variant with the goal of minimizing weight.
    I weigh about 185
    I think I'll try one with single layer 1.1 rs and see what it weighs.
    If it feels too stretchy then my 8 yr old son gets a new 1.1 rs hammock.

If G's is 17.8 oz @ SL 1.7 or 1.9, then I should be able to do a SL 1.1 with net, a small shelf, and maybe a pocket or two on the inside for 15 oz or less.

Can't decide if I want to do the zipper on the bugnet or shock cord in the top like hangnout's no zipper bug net.

Actually, I'm torn between doing another warbird variant and a TZ-Jerry5 (no footbox, bugnet panels on sides, although I would have a shelf).

Any other thoughts on how to lighten the warbird?... or something similar?
    I created my DL using 1.1 from Scott, and like it. I also build a similar variation using the HH asym design of 1.5 RS from Scott, and really like it. Not sure if I would go to 1.1 RS (for me at least) for how much I move around, lay and sit in one.

After putting the shelf on my WBBB, I really struggled with what would I really use it for. Since you can not see what is in there while laying down, your fiddling around with anything you put in there. The more I think about it, I might of been easier to just hang a no-see-um organizer from the SR, and move it out of the way. However, since I have been only testing my WBBB, and not used it for an extended period, I can't say that I will not use the shelf at a later date. With that said, I think you can play around with the depth and width of the shelf with a clear understanding what you may be using it for.

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Ogee, etc.
    Insulation
    IX UQ & TQ +fleece
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Thanks for the feedback samjaynes.

what I LOVE the shelf for:
    -I stash clothes in it, like a fleece pullover in case I get cold at night
    -I stash my TQ in it when I'm getting in/out of the hammock to get it out of the way
    -I stash anything else that is getting in the way on the shelf so I'm not sitting on it.
    -I drop my stuff sacks in it as I unpack things like my TQ and UQ.

I use my ridgeline organizer for my water bottle and phone, and like that I can slide it out of the way.

I may not do a big shelf in my lightweight hammock, but I think I will at least do a small shelf.
    "I keep telling myself that if I make perfect seams, nobody will believe that I made it... " -JohnSawyer

Gear reviews, DIY / MYOG projects, Outdoor gear discounts, sales and coupons updated daily

Hammock
    DIY "WARBIRD"
    Tarp
    OES STD,WB BMJ
    Insulation
    Golite TQ/leigh UQ
    Suspension
    WHOOPIES
    The thing I Like most about this style hammmock IS the shelf. It comes in very handy for storing all the gear you will need that night when unpacking, mine is like my bed room closet. I also sewed in a organizer just under the shelf for my glasses, phone and little stuff. I could go lighter but would lose durability and convenience so I am looking at the other things I carry.

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    8x10 made by me
    Insulation
    JRB winter UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by myles to go View Post
    The thing I Like most about this style hammmock IS the shelf.
    +1

<message to short>

Hammock
    DIY,Speer,Tbird, JRB
    Tarp
    HG CF, MacCat, GG
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Speer,UGQ
    Suspension
    numerous, seasonal
    Images
    Well I have been watching and pondering and have an idea to run by all of you.

How about combining the Jerry5 and the WBBB and some other inovations I have seen.
    With or without the shelf.

124 inch overall length, but cut asymetrical, at least on the foot end, 18 inches, pretty radical, but that is about what is lost using a 30X30 X40 footbox triangle, I think.

Use a Grosgrain along the full side length, of the foot box side, and include a piece of 1.75 or 2.2 amsteel in the channel to spread load, include this in the end channel.

On the head end a possibly less radical asm cut.
    If this works the hammock should be able to be re-cut and shortened on the head end to fit the user.

Add a Hangout style top closure bugnet.

Thoughts? Has it been tried before?

TZ
    Life's A Journey
    It's not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body,
    But rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting,
    Woo Hoo!....What a Ride!

My PHOTOS

My VIDEOS

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Ogee, etc.
    Insulation
    IX UQ &amp; TQ +fleece
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TZBrown View Post
    Well I have been watching and pondering and have an idea to run by all of you.

How about combining the Jerry5 and the WBBB and some other inovations I have seen.
    With or without the shelf.

124 inch overall length, but cut asymetrical, at least on the foot end, 18 inches, pretty radical, but that is about what is lost using a 30X30 X40 footbox triangle, I think.

Use a Grosgrain along the full side length, of the foot box side, and include a piece of 1.75 or 2.2 amsteel in the channel to spread load, include this in the end channel.

On the head end a possibly less radical asm cut.
    If this works the hammock should be able to be re-cut and shortened on the head end to fit the user.

Add a Hangout style top closure bugnet.

Thoughts? Has it been tried before?

TZ
    Sorry TZ
    I can't visualize what you described on the asym cut and need for a support line in one side.

Hammock
    DIY WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY 8X10
    Insulation
    under consideratio
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    So, my WBBB DIY had its first test hang today and I'm worried about the stresses on the footbox/shelf side. First build and I've never seen a WBBB, so I had a hard time really understanding the footbox/shelf construction.

Anyway, so far, no ripping noise, but one end of the footbox (midway though the hammock) is very very taught to the general body. At this junction, I can see a tear happening very soon. So, the question is this.....Based on the pattern, I couldn't decide if the entire footbox triangle should be sewn to the body or say 3/4 of the triangle? If you look at the pattern linked in the first post, the last picture shows the footbox attaching at like 3/4 of the way and then the "misc. piece" then the shelf.

I attached the whole footbox and left out the added piece because my shelf was designed to be a bit larger. As it stands now, the footbox side is much shorter and seams to take all of the stress. It makes it hard to use as a lounger, so I know something is wrong. Any ideas on how to fix it? or I might do another, but I want to really understand the pattern first.

The only thing I can think of saying at this point is... Holy crap, camping this way is going to be so freaking comfortable!!! I was lying there in the cold this morning for half an hour thinking why in the hell had I been sleeping on rocks for the last 20 years. So, so so very nice.

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Ogee, etc.
    Insulation
    IX UQ &amp; TQ +fleece
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Adfeds, only thing I can tell you is to add to the triangle, or make a bigger triangle.
    What you described is a common problem.

• + New Posts
  • Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast