Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hammock
    DD Frontline
    Tarp
    SOTP tarp
    Insulation
    Thermarest

Webbing stretch

I tried my DD Frontline for the first time last weekend and it was fantastically comfortable. My one problem was the amount of stretch in the webbing. I had done the Karabiner mod and was running a single length of webbing from the karabiner to the tree. Once I eventually got the tension right it was great but it took loads of attempts at sitting in it and then getting out and tightening it, then sitting again, then tightening again and so on. So, is this likely to be just due to it being new and the initial stretch in the webbing or is it because I am only running a single piece of webbing rather than taking 2 lengths round the tree and tied in a bow? What do other DD users think?
    ---Life is more than the money that you earn---

Hammock
    DIY Pertex
    Tarp
    DIY with doors on
    Insulation
    Down and synthetic
    Suspension
    Whoopies & hooks
    The channel squashes up for a few nights, then stops. The webbing will always have quite a bit of stretch, but is manageable doubled up. I always hung off 2 straps-I never felt safe with the single width, but I probably would have been fine.

Swap your webbing for some dyneema braid/whoopie slings-it'll stop stretch completely, and save you nearly half a pound and take up less space.

Hammock
    DD Frontline
    Tarp
    SOTP tarp
    Insulation
    Thermarest
    Thanks. I suspected that a large part of it was initial stretching of the system as once I got it to stop stretching noticably whilst setting up it didn't stretch much more after spending all night in it. My main worry was that I would have to go through all that faffing every time.
    I'm not too worried about the weight as it is, because I'll mainly be using it on canoe trips and unless I go silly the weight doesn't really notice in the boat.
    I'm sure that I have seen a post from others either on here or another forum saying that they had no problems with a single strand being strong enough but I'll have to keep an eye on it and see. I'll have to make sure I don't hang too high until I'm sure in case it does go.
    ---Life is more than the money that you earn---

Hammock
    DIY Pertex
    Tarp
    DIY with doors on
    Insulation
    Down and synthetic
    Suspension
    Whoopies & hooks
    The webbing is rated to 800 kg which is plenty, but I still don't trust it. I'm quite happy on my 2mm dyneema though-can't explain it.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner DL
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Klymit Pad/EE TQ
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerminator View Post
    The webbing is rated to 800 kg which is plenty, but I still don't trust it.
    I contacted DD about their webbing ratings and was told that the suspension webbing was rated for 150 kgs (330 #). A little on the smitely side (IMO) if only using a single strap instead of the 2 as designed.

Hammock
    DIY Pertex
    Tarp
    DIY with doors on
    Insulation
    Down and synthetic
    Suspension
    Whoopies & hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by Passinthru View Post
    I contacted DD about their webbing ratings and was told that the suspension webbing was rated for 150 kgs (330 #). A little on the smitely side (IMO) if only using a single strap instead of the 2 as designed.
    That figure will be their working load, 800kg is the breaking strain of the black webbing and doesn't account for knots, wear etc.

Assuming a knot will derate the line by an average of 50%, a 150kg load in the hammock hung at 30 deg gives the webbing a little under a 3x safety factor-much less than the normally accepted 4 or 5 to 1 margin.

Much better doubled, or even better replaced

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner DL
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Klymit Pad/EE TQ
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    [QUOTE=turnerminator;537805]That figure will be their working load, 800kg is the breaking strain of the black webbing and doesn't account for knots, wear etc. QUOTE]

So...the way the DD comes configured, does it have a 300kg working load (150kg each line - even though it is all really 1 piece of webbing)? Sounds like I won't be trying to hang from just a single line - I would prefer a little higher safety factor when a 2 foot drop on my butt is at stake.

"Hanging in a better place now H.I.P Andy"
    Chris, mine stretched terribly the first time i used it. Just keep tightening it up and it will eventually stop stretching mate.

Hammock
    BMBH /WBBB 1.7DBL
    Tarp
    WB SF / OES MC DLX
    Insulation
    JRB down TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    WS + dutchstuff
    Another consideration with the DD webbing might be how much moisture it holds/wicks?

I got concerned about this after my first couple of test hangs in the back garden so I changed mine: first of all for some webbing off an old ratchet strap (forgetting it had been wrapped round an outboard engine for a couple of years and exposed to UV - first ever night camping in the hammock that webbing ripped with a nice tearing noise and dumped me on my **se in the wee small hours. )

Second change was more recently to whoopie slings and I'm delighted with that. Easily adjustable, no stretch.

But back to the point - the DD webbing seems very porous or spongy? I can't say for sure that it is, just that it seems that way. Using the carabiner mod will stop that, but you'll still have wet and heavy webbing to store?

Hammock
    DD Frontline
    Tarp
    DIY Nylon
    Insulation
    CCF pad
    Suspension
    AHE webbing
    Mine stretched quite a bit the first time I hung the Frontline.
    I switched the suspension out and put polyester webbing, dutch clips, and cinch buckles from Arrowhead Equipment on the Frontline.
    The DD webbing went on my son's hammock and works fine with little to no stretch suspending his weight (about 60#).
    wabi

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast