Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    JRB MW3, HR on top
    Suspension
    WhoOpiesling!
    Images

Optimum MacCat Size for HH?

Hello Hammock Forum, Javaman here - been reading and learning for several months now.

Considering asking for an OES MacCat for Christmas for my HH Explorer UL. I am currently using the HH with SS and standard hex fly here in Maryland. So far so good . . but there is always room for improvement!

Brian shows three different sizes. Any significant performance difference with the Deluxe vs. Standard? The weight difference is not of consequence for me, just looking for the most functional of the two.

Thanks in advance for the responses.

Since you aren't counting grams, I'd get the Deluxe Macat. The regular is probably big enough unless someone has a tall version of the hennessy, then they'd be better off with the extra length of the deluxe.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    welcome to HF Javaman.
    brian, the maker of the OMS cat, sometimes gets backed up on the tarps because of the school work he's keeping up w/.
    but it seems like someone recently said he was back at the sewing machine.

might be worth checking out if you want to get that tarp by Christmas.

if he's backed up & you're hoping to get a tarp soon, you may want to take a look at the new "winter tarp" by speer hammocks. ...tim
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    I would really consider getting either one of the new Speer winter cat tarps or the new JRB tarp. I ordered one of the JRB tarps. The side protection from rain, wind, ect. is a step further in the advancement of hammock camping IMO.
    There is a nice review of the MacCat tarps as well as others here www.tothewoods.net
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe Sil
    Insulation
    DIY Quilt+HG Inc20
    Hey Javaman (and all), just to inform some people of any backorders that I may have. I currently have 3 weeks of school left, and I am producing a few tarps up at school, and after finals, I will be able to eliminate my backorders in their entirety for at least a few months.
    As my website says, I am currently running about a 3 week back order, and that is pretty much what it actually is. I should also be able to get most if not all ordered tarps delivered darn near Christmas, if not a few days after words.

Also, stay tuned for news of 2 new tarps, including one that I am sure everyone will love. More to come.

Brian
    OES

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    thanks for the update Brian. that's really helpful to those people looking at getting one of your great tarps.
    keep up the good work. ...tim
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    JRB BMBH w/ 2Q 3-zipper mod
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    JRB MW3, HR on top
    Suspension
    WhoOpiesling!
    Images
    Thanks Brian for the update. BillyBob58's pics posted today show a good size comparison of the Deluxe and the HH hex fly. The Deluxe looks like the right size. Now to get it on my list!!

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Lots of folks here like the Deluxe - I'm happy with the Standard. Plenty of coverage for one person under there, and it's lighter. Plus, IMO at least, smaller tarps are easier to set up than bigger ones, and sometimes a bigger tarp can limit site selection...there have been a few times where I pitched the Standard over stump or shrub where the Deluxe would have been limited there.

But all in all, it's just preference - one is as good as the other and it just depends on what fits your style.

If it were mostly winter camping and I wanted a MacCat, I'd definitely go with the Deluxe, though. Haven't tried the JRB or Speer winter tarps so I can't compare those.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Images
    Since you have an Explorer ( which is longer than some) and you are already used to the PU ( I assume) Hex fly ( 132" long) you better definitely get the Deluxe(Which is 130" long), IMO. The stock asym HH Explorer fly is 137" long, and even the Mac Cat Deluxe is 7" shorter than that. Personally, I wouldn't want a tarp for the Explorer that was any shorter than that. Maybe for an Expedition or ULBP, but not an Explorer. Just my opinion.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Javaman View Post
    Thanks Brian for the update. BillyBob58's pics posted today show a good size comparison of the Deluxe and the HH hex fly. The Deluxe looks like the right size. Now to get it on my list!!
    Just a reminder, that HH Sil nylon Hex with the MacCat drapped over it (in the pics) is a foot longer than the PU HH Hex fly. The MacCat Deluxe is essentially the same length( about 2" less) on the ridgeline as the green HH PU Hex.

Also, that is a good point Jeff makes about a smaller tarp being pitchable in more places.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 11-18-2007 at 21:56.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast