JRB BMB
    Tarp
    JRB 11'x10'
    Insulation
    JRB TQ / UQ set
    Suspension
    JRB tri-glide

New England Hangs this winter ?

Throwing this one there since I know NE has a more than a few hangers....

I am planning on doing a few hangs this winter [hopefully at least once a month] to see how much insulation I need at various overnight lows & to practice my winter camping skills.

I am looking at shelters and campgrounds that are very close to a parking lot so that I can bail to the car in an emergency.

Looking at places like Mt Grace State Forest in MA, Barnes Field CG in the Whites

Will be chasing the snow. To borrow a tag line from a poster on another forum [IF IT AIN'T SNOWING THERE, WE AIN'T GOING THERE].

My thinking is to do a short day hike with my pack, come back to shelter/CG, and set up for the night, break it down in the morning, and do the day hike with pack again. This way I would be making it as real to a backcountry overnight as possible. The car would just be there as back-up only.

Once I am more comfortable with the layers I need, I will be targeting backcountry camping spots that are a few easy miles for the car. Thinking of East Branch CG from Lincoln Woods [Whites], Flat Mountan shelter from Bennett Street [Sandwich], Bellow Pipe Shelter from North Gate [Greylock]. Not sure if that will happen this year....

It doesn't need to be big groups, but that would be kewl too.
    Love my JRB BMB

Hammock
    Nano7, HB No-See-Um-No-More
    Tarp
    sil WB Edge
    Insulation
    3 Season Crowsnest
    Suspension
    whoopies/huggers
    I would definitely be interested! Greylock I believe you have to hike into the campsites, right? Or are there ones you can drive to? Also, speaking of Lincoln Woods, I would love to hang there this winter then do a hike to Owl's Head. I did a Pemi Loop this summer and Owl's Head is the only peak in that area I haven't bagged. I think the bushwack would be fun on snowshoes...

Hammock
    JRB BMB
    Tarp
    JRB 11'x10'
    Insulation
    JRB TQ / UQ set
    Suspension
    JRB tri-glide

Owl's Head

That is a long, long ways from the car in the winter....

It is a great goal for the end of the season, if I have dialed in exactly how many layers I need, my conditioning is where it needs to be, and the overnight lows start to creep back up above 0*F.

How much days/weeks notice do you need before a trip?

Have you done much winter camping?

How does the idea of snowshoeing in the day and hanging at a campground sound? I think those types of trips are essential for me until I prove out the sleep system.
    Love my JRB BMB

Hammock
    Tarp
    sil WB Edge
    Insulation
    3 Season Crowsnest
    Suspension
    whoopies/huggers
    This will be my first winter in the hammock and like you I also want to test my gear before doing anything crazy. I would definitely be amenable to hanging someplace close the car in order to get a feel for it. I will be participating in a number of snowshoe races from these 2 series:

http://www.runwmac.com/snowshoes/default.html

http://www.granitestatesnowshoeseries.org/

A bunch of the first series take place in Western Mass. I was considering maybe hanging the night before the race a couple times to avoid a 2-3 hour drive in the morning. I am pretty flexible in terms of trips, though I need about a week's heads up in order to run it by the old lady...

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB lightweight Dbl - Blue
    Tarp
    Warbonnet MiniFly
    Insulation
    3 Season Wookie
    Suspension
    Warbonnet Whoopies
    Images
    Keep me posted, i'd love to hang in western mass or anywhere for that matter in the winter. we had an awesome time last year in Bull bridge, just not the snow we expected. all in all a good time. count me in!

Hammock
    Tarp
    sil WB Edge
    Insulation
    3 Season Crowsnest
    Suspension
    whoopies/huggers
    My girlfriend's mother lives in Turners Falls, MA (near Greenfield), and we're out that way every month or 2. I know Amherst is about 20 minutes or so from there. How far's Chicopee? I'd be down for an impromptu hang some weekend if either or both of you guys have flexible schedules....

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB lightweight Dbl - Blue
    Tarp
    Warbonnet MiniFly
    Insulation
    3 Season Wookie
    Suspension
    Warbonnet Whoopies
    Images
    hey flatland I'm gonna be hanging with a first time backpacker this weekend at upper goose pond cabin. just getting out of the house for the night...

Hammock
    HH & WB & GT & ENO
    Tarp
    Hennessy ASYM 30D
    Insulation
    CCF
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    It's not New England, but it's pretty close...

This will be the 4th year that ZSNY hosts a winter camping trip in February. We camp in a beautiful spot in the Adirondacks, with nighttime temperatures down in the negative teens Fahrenheit. We're hoping to break -20 this year, but who knows...

We'll be posting more info on an informative webpage once we settle on a date.

Jamie - nfa
    "We must hang together, gentlemen...else, we shall most assuredly hang separately." - Benjamin Franklin

My Author Website/Blog - My first novel, "Here Be Monsters", a mystery set in the Adirondacks, has just been published in paperback and Kindle formats.

Hammock
    Tarp
    sil WB Edge
    Insulation
    3 Season Crowsnest
    Suspension
    whoopies/huggers
    srestrepo - Thanks for the heads-up! I've got a local (RI) obligation this weekend, but keep me posted. I'm hoping to get out that way inside the month.

NFA - That definitely sounds cool. I'm chipping away at my 46...is your annual campout in the High Peaks or elsewhere in the `Dacks? Last I checked it was snowing in Keene Valley and Lake Placid!!

Hammock
    HH & WB & GT & ENO
    Tarp
    Hennessy ASYM 30D
    Insulation
    CCF
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Flatland View Post
    NFA - That definitely sounds cool. I'm chipping away at my 46...is your annual campout in the High Peaks or elsewhere in the `Dacks? Last I checked it was snowing in Keene Valley and Lake Placid!!
    I work in LP, but the Winter Camping Trip is on the frozen shore of Polliwog Pond, near the St. Regis Canoe Area (although last year, one guy built a quinzee out on the ice of the pond, and slept in it for 2 nights).

Jamie - nfa
    "We must hang together, gentlemen...else, we shall most assuredly hang separately." - Benjamin Franklin

My Author Website/Blog - My first novel, "Here Be Monsters", a mystery set in the Adirondacks, has just been published in paperback and Kindle formats.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast