WB Edge
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/HH Incubat
    Suspension
    UCRs
    Images

Roan Highlands AT, Oct 2010

Saturday, October 9, 2010

One of the real benefits of living in the Chattanooga area is that my wife, Sleeps With Skunks, and I are much closer to many of our favorite trails than we were in Nashville. Roan Mountain, Tennessee is only about a 3 ½ hour drive from our home. So, after a shuttle from Mountain Harbor Bed & Breakfast, we (meaning my wife and me, as well as the ever-present Dewey and Orville Bears) stepped out at Carver’s Gap at the Appalachian Trail Crossing around 11:15.

We actually enjoyed a brief greeting there in the parking lot with Marta and company. She definitely manages to get around.

We headed up the first short climb of Round Bald. Light cover from conifers quickly gave way to the iconic southern balds for which Roan Highlands is best known. We parked ourselves a bit before noon for lunch on a rock outcrop.

After lunch, we continued on toward Jane Bald. My wife quickly learned that nobody every feels particularly tired in the Highlands because you stop so often just to enjoy the view. This time of year, at 4000-5000 feet, Autumn colors add to the stunning visuals.

We continued on, enjoying the gentle climb and views. Orville Bear asked to stop and grab some information about the goats that are being used to keep the balds from growing over.

Unfortunately, the goat herds are removed from the Highlands by October each year. The bears and Sleeps With Skunks were disappointed.

We passed by Jane Bald and Grassy Ridge and began the downhill stroll to Stan Murray Shelter. We only stopped briefly to chat with Marta and her group. My wife continued on while I headed downhill to check out the spring. It was flowing very slowly, only a small pool maybe a couple of inches deep. It would have sufficed for cameling up with some straining or filtering, but I was glad to move on to Overmountain Shelter and its piped spring.

By three o’clock, we had turned onto the blue-blazed side trail at Yellow Mountain Gap to Overmountain Shelter, the well-known converted red barn. It bore a fresh coat of red paint and a crowd was beginning to filter into the camping area beside the shelter. I gathered plenty of water from the beautifully flowing piped spring and then joined my wife as we hung our hammocks behind the barn. She quickly retired for an afternoon nap.

I relaxed for a while in my hammock and read for a bit. Since I couldn’t manage sleep, I headed to the front of the shelter and sat and chatted with the hikers who were arriving and settling into the sleeping platforms at the front of the barn. The foliage views of the valley to the front were gorgeous in the Autumn sun.

Even the folks on the tent landing were surrounded by colors.

I cooked dinner and brought it back to my wife to enjoy. Then I relaxed in my own hammock, chair-style and watched the view of the valley.

As the stars began to glow above, I snuggled up with my book and Dewey Bear, and I settled in for the night.

Sunday, October 10, 2010

The next morning, I rose a bit before dawn and boiled water for morning cocoa. Afterward, I began packing gear. During this time, my wife rose and began with her morning pack-up routine as well. The biggest delay was simply using the privy, as a line of sorts had formed, and there was a wait of several minutes. Altogether, there were at least 30 campers in the vicinity of Overmountain Shelter on this morning. Dewey and Orville waited as patiently as they could, but I’m sure I heard a paw tapping, ready to go.

The 900-foot climb north from Yellow Mountain Gap felt steep, but it quickly yielded views back to the red barn.

About half-way up the climb, the trees again gave way to balds, in this case, Little Hump.

As we crested the summit, the view of Hump Mountain awaited. I was a little disappointed that a line of trees had grown in slightly obstructing the view of Bradley Gap which was clear 11 years earlier on my AT thru-hike. The view was still nice in spite of this.

Despite the gorgeous views, the 600-foot climb up Hump Mountain was steep enough to leave us a bit winded. But once on top, the views below were just stunning.

We stopped at the Stan Murray Memorial for a quick lunch.

Then we headed onward, down hill. Longhorn cattle barely seemed to notice us as we ambled on by.

As we crossed through a turn-style and headed into the woods again, I knew the open balds were behind us. But the trail continued to hold its own delights. Occasional viewpoints offered even closer blasts of Fall color.

We pulled into the red and orange foliage at Doll Flats for our last break of the day.

With just three miles to go, we both began to quicken our pace a little bit. The trail, which has offered copious rocks and roots in the first couple of miles of trees, began to mellow into a relatively smooth and fast tread. However, the early rough trail had taken its toll on my wife’s feet. Within a mile of Apple House Shelter, I pushed on ahead of her, with the intention of arriving at Mountain Harbor in time to bring the car to her at the 19E crossing, thus saving her feet 3-tenths of a mile of walking the pavement. A couple of minutes after 4 PM, I arrived at Mountain Harbor.

I tucked my gear in, and headed back up the road, arriving at the small parking area just as Sleeps With Skunks walked out. We loaded up and headed home. Our souvenir for the weekend was mild sunburn from the gorgeously clear days and memories to last a lifetime.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Treestrap
    Very nice trip report and pictures thanks for sharing.
    Terry

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Sounds like a great hike and even better weather. Bearpaw, glad to know that your bear didn't jump ship like on the Hot Springs hike.

Last time I hiked Roan Mt I got caught in a blizzard.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl + TTTG Switchback
    Tarp
    OES SpinnUL 11x10
    Insulation
    Nest, Hudson River
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Stingerz
    Aaaaah! the memories of Roan Highlands. Thanks for the pics Bearpaw. Nice report too. Have to get back up there next summer when the blooms are out.
    Rockdawg69

It's a long way to the top if you want to Rock and Roll ----- those hills!!!

Professional Prevaricator: Part-time dealer in Yarns, Tales, Half-Truths, & Outright Lies -1st half-hour session at no cost (Lawyers and Doctors excepted).

Hammock
    BIAS Camper
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/HH Incubat
    Suspension
    UCRs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner76 View Post
    Sounds like a great hike and even better weather. Bearpaw, glad to know that your bear didn't jump ship like on the Hot Springs hike.
    Yeah, he's pretty secure with the mesh pocket and top compression strap on my Catalyst. It's his "happy place" when we're on the move.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Nice to see those bears getting out again.
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    BIAS Camper
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/HH Incubat
    Suspension
    UCRs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mbiraman View Post
    Nice to see those bears getting out again.
    Dewey gets out more than Orville. Orville is kind of a mama's bear, but he keeps my wife company when Dewey and I are out on our own hikes.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    BEAUTIFUL PICTURES!

To see what it looked like when I went through 3 years ago, go outside on a bright, but overcast day, around noon, with a white pillowcase over your head, NO EYEHOLES please!

All trip, I could see the path about 5' - 15' in all directions, rarely any further. Hump went up forever & I could NOT see the summit, so I had no idea when the end was till I got there. Still an incredible hike, I don't regret a second of it.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    BIAS Camper
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/HH Incubat
    Suspension
    UCRs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctari View Post
    BEAUTIFUL PICTURES!

To see what it looked like when I went through 3 years ago, go outside on a bright, but overcast day, around noon, with a white pillowcase over your head, NO EYEHOLES please!

All trip, I could see the path about 5' - 15' in all directions, rarely any further. Hump went up forever & I could NOT see the summit, so I had no idea when the end was till I got there. Still an incredible hike, I don't regret a second of it.
    This sounds very much like my hike there in October of 2000. The first day was pretty nice, with decent views despite light cloud cover. But the next day, I was socked in with mist and wind and fog thick enough I nearly swam along the trail rather than walking.

Hammock
    Blue Bean by Shug,Clark Tropical
    Tarp
    Shug Over,WBSF
    Insulation
    Crowsnest&Burrow
    Suspension
    Once
    Beautiful photos,looked like great weather!I made that treck long time back.I must return.
    "I like grits,because they have no bones" Chet Atkins

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast