Tarp
    OES Standard
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel w\MSH
    Images

Tragic Uwharrie overnighter.

It started as a beautiful day. My friend, his dog Nube (pronounced noo bee), and I decided to do a quick overnighter on a section of the Uwharrie Trail to complete this months requirement to meet our personal goal of "at least one overnight hike every month in 2010", that we decided on in January.

We set out late Saturday afternoon for the 1 hour drive to a spot we've been to several times. It's about a 2 mile hike in to a small creek and a nook in the underbrush and trees just big enough for my hammock and his tent setup. We arrive about 2 hours before sunset and start in. I am so excited to be trying out my new Black Diamond trekking poles my wife bought me for my birthday last month. We are giddy with conversation because the air is crisp, the sky is blue, and we are simply having a great time. I am thinking to myself that this could be one of my top 3 favorite overnighters this year.

We get about a mile into the forest and haven't seen a single person. As usual, we unleash Nube who runs around like a playful horse, he is just as excited as we are to be free as we are and begins his usual exploratory digging at rocks and barking routine.

We get to our site and setup and just enjoy the weather. Strangely, we realize we haven't seen Nube in a few hours, which isnt all that unusual, he will stray a few hundred yards from us but always checks in from time to time hunting for a scrap of pasta, or an M&M. He did once disappear overnight, but was sitting in our camp waiting for us when we woke up the next morning.
    So we weren't too worried.

About 5 AM I wake up to my friend calling for his dog. It's about 43 degrees and the sky is sprinked with autumn diamonds. I figure he'll find him, so I go back to sleep. As usual I awake about 10 am because I am so comfortable in the hammock and always manage to oversleep. My buddy is just getting back to camp. He has searched over 8 miles! He is getting pretty worried by now. So we pack up, walk out slowly, calling his name every few minutes or so. I fully expect Nube to be waiting down the trail or sitting by the truck eager to see us.

He isn't there. We decide to ride the dirt roads that surround the area where we were and eventually put out some flyers. We make almost the complete 10 mile loop in my truck and see some four wheelers. I stop and ask one woman with who looks very kind and motherly if she has seen our beloved lab mix who got away from us last night. Unfortunately, she said "yes, I did see him... but he was lifeless on the side of the highway. He was hit by a car".

We asked if she was sure and she said "maybe it wasn't your dog". Naturally, we raced over there... Our beloved friend Nube had indeed chased his last rabbit.

It appears he had made a direct line from where we let him free, to the highway... where it appears he was notoriously chasing a rabbit. It is very uncharacteristic for him to get near a highway as he has always been very cautious of people and cars. Maybe the thrill of this chase overtook his natural fear... we'll never know for sure.

We rubbed him for a few minutes, tried with all of our manliness to suck up our tears, but it didn't work. We carefully loaded him into my truck and took him on his last ride home.

This was my friends rescued animal that had to be fed goat's milk and warmed up in middle of the night until he was old enough to survive on his own. We have spent countless miles and nights on the trail with this fella; over 20 nights this year alone. To an animal lover, they will understand the bond we had with him. To others, maybe you won't understand.

I hate to sadden anyone reading this, but I needed to get it out. I hope you'll understand. I needed to tell let it out. I am fighting the tears as I type.

My friend Alex, and Nube.

I am sorry for your loss. An animal, even a friend's, can become a part of the family. Often because they are more enjoyable to spend time with and love you unconditionally.

A friend and I were there a week ago on the Uwharrie Trail just between 24/27 and 109. We both had lab mixes, but did not see any other dogs, only a few people.

cutter

I am so sorry for the loss!
    I know I would feel the same or worse if we lost our "Max" (he is a rescue as well), they become a family member the second they come into our arms and will forever be loved!
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    Eno Doublenest
    Tarp
    OES Standard
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel w\MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cutter View Post
    I am sorry for your loss. An animal, even a friend's, can become a part of the family. Often because they are more enjoyable to spend time with and love you unconditionally.

A friend and I were there a week ago on the Uwharrie Trail just between 24/27 and 109. We both had lab mixes, but did not see any other dogs, only a few people.

cutter
    Thanks. We live pretty close to Uwharrie and frequently do random sections when we only have one night.

Hammock
    1.7 Dbl. WBBB Hammock
    Tarp
    DD XL Trap
    Insulation
    Merlin3 TQ/Nest UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies&Dutchware
    Images
    I am sorry for your loss.
    Try and think about the poor rabbits in the greenwood where Nube now runs forever. No escape for the rabbits!
    U.S. Army Paratrooper, Combat Engineer, DAV (Life Member), American Legion (Life Member)
    NMLRA(1 of 1000[#249] & Life Member), NRA(Life Member)
    Perry Lodge #123 F&AM(Perpetual Member), Perfect Ashlar Lodge #12 F&AM(Perpetual Member)

Hammock
    Eno Doublenest
    Tarp
    OES Standard
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel w\MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SamD View Post
    I am sorry for your loss.
    Try and think about the poor rabbits in the greenwood where Nube now runs forever. No escape for the rabbits!
    Thanks.. i appreciate that.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    I am so sorry for your loss. My condolences to you and your friend. It always hurts when a part of the family passes.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end / WL Snipe
    Tarp
    DIY 8x10 sil/ M.O.
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/ 20*Pheonix
    Suspension
    DIYwhoopie slings
    eflat7, sorry for the loss. I had mine for 15yr before he passed, still think of him all the time. I got some great stories too, but thats for a dif thread. Sorry for you and your friends loss. ETH

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Sorry to hear this. It's a real tragedy. Sending some healing thoughts your way...<<<>>>

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1SL/UKHamm
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 4S/CamoSF
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WhoopieDutchness
    How sad, sorry to hear the news buddy.

Losing a pet is a real heart wrencher

• + New Posts