Warbonnets!
    Tarp
    OES, WB
    Insulation
    Crowsnest, Leighs
    Suspension
    Webbing & Buckles

Which Crowsnest?

I cant decide between the 3 season or the winter Crowsnest. Whatever I choose will be used year round. I know I can vent the winter model in the summer to cool it off, but it adds a 6oz weight penalty. Most of the time our winter temps don't get much under 20°. But when I make my monthly high desert trips, teens to single digits aren't uncommon (in the winter). I also have a DriDucks poncho UQ cover that helps quite a bit. I did splurge last month on some good clothing. A MontBell Alpine light jacket, Marmot Zeus vest, and a Black Rock hat. If I go with the 3 season, these can all be used to add warmth as well. I'm also considering 1oz of overfill to the 3 season. But, this brings the weight difference to just 5oz. And it puts the 3 season to $199 with 9oz of fill, when I can get the winter with 12oz of fill for only $20 more... And I have to choose fast due to my needing this in my mitts before 11/5. HELP!!!!!
    It's only an addiction if you're trying to quit

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0
    Tarp
    Zpack's H. Tarp
    Insulation
    Summer Crowsnest
    Suspension
    ring buckles
    Since you are planning on using the UQ year round, IMO the 3-season makes most sense. The key, then, is to add components to extend the UQ's r-factor in the colder months. The DriDucks cover will help, but the jacket and vest won't do anything for under-side insulation, they will simply compress. Perhaps you can add a CCF pad or even a layer or two of IX. Treat your UQ solution just like you do your clothing: layers. This will provide you with the flexibility that you are looking for.
    "Every minute outside ... is a good minute!" -> Calvin & Hobbes, 8/1/1993

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    IMHO I found it difficult (meaning it was very warm) to use the Winter Crows Nest above 35 and even in 35 degree weather found it to be a bit to warm. I used the Summer Crows Nest this past weekend, it got down to 35-40 and I was nice and toasty in short and a tee (had a bit of draft just dident cinch the UQ tight enough though). So A 3 seasons would probally work well and if it gets colder suplement with your go to ground pad, you pack or xtra clothing underneath you.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    Warbonnets!
    Tarp
    OES, WB
    Insulation
    Crowsnest, Leighs
    Suspension
    Webbing & Buckles
    Ok, so what about 1oz of overstuff in the 3 season? How much difference will that make overall?

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    The 3 season Crowsnest with standard 800 fp down will get you down to 20 degrees, but if you opt for 900 fp down, it will give you an extra 5 degrees to get you down to 15. You can always augment your insulation with clothing, base layers, vapor barriers, etc. IMO, get the 3 season with 900 fp down and you'll probably be just fine.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooch View Post
    The 3 season Crowsnest with standard 800 fp down will get you down to 20 degrees, but if you opt for 900 fp down, it will give you an extra 5 degrees to get you down to 15. You can always augment your insulation with clothing, base layers, vapor barriers, etc. IMO, get the 3 season with 900 fp down and you'll probably be just fine.
    thats what i said...and add the Driducks undercover and that will give him another 5-10 degrees of warmth
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

This past weekend at MAHHA I used the summer burrow and summer crowsnest and not sure on the low temp (LRRR said it was 35-40 in his post) but I was toasty warm both nights! I know that at the last spring MAHHA I used my 3S Crowsnest and it got down too 32* and I was toasty warm! Now I am a very, very warm sleeper all of my quilts have the 900fp down fill in them, so if your looking for a round 10* quilt then do exactly what Hooch said and depending on your sleeping style (cold or warm or hot sleeper) you can augment with having a ounce /or 2 added or not and along with your clothing and weather shield you will be fine!
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    Warbonnets!
    Tarp
    OES, WB
    Insulation
    Crowsnest, Leighs
    Suspension
    Webbing & Buckles
    The trigger's been pulled I went with the 3 season Crowsnest with 900 fill I'm gonna go sit by the mailbox now

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite & WBBB 1.0 Double
    Insulation
    Crowsnest/No Snive
    Images
    I had some serious doubts about how well any underquilt could provide the warmth they claim. However, on my most recent trip the 3-Season Crowsnest worked perfectly at just above freezing temperatures. I'm pretty sure I've got the 900fp, but I ordered just before the 800 became standard.

I'm sure you'll be very satisfied and won't miss the winter version. I figured if I needed a winter UQ, I'd just go with a full-length UQ for the extra protection.

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by optimator View Post
    The trigger's been pulled I went with the 3 season Crowsnest with 900 fill I'm gonna go sit by the mailbox now
    I know what you're thinking. You're welcome.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast