Sleeping bag around hammock

Hello,

I would want to have your opinion on using a sleeping bag around my hamock like this :

I need to buy a new sleeping bag for sleeping near 0°c sometimes in a hammock and sometimes in the ground when there is no tree.

Do you think that this bag could do the job :

http://www.westernmountaineering.com...s&ContentId=21

An other soluce is to buy a comforter like this one :

http://www.triplezero.fr/ficheprod.php?p=43&Ll=1024

Thanks a lot

Hammock
    Exped combo, exped basic
    Tarp
    DYI, six sided
    Insulation
    foam refletex,
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    I've used that method for years and found for me the best way to go. I find that a bag with a draw string bottom works best.
    Also it should be xtra long and wide like the Exped 650 Long bag for user comfort.

It allows the user to lay diagonaily , also to use a pad in the hammock for added insulatiuion

fourdog
    Last edited by fourdog; 10-18-2010 at 14:29.

A combination hammock and sleeping bag having a flexible elongated base with flexible rigidity means extending peripherally around the base, and mounting means including an aperture at each end of the base so as to permit the base to be suspended above the ground

Western Mountaineering - Sycamore MF

Do you think that this one will be enough :

Inside Girth shldr/hip/foot (cm) : 157/150/117
    Inside Girth shdr/hip/foot (in) : 157/150/117

Size (cm) : 200
    Size (ft/in) : 200

* 5 1/4" Spacing/Continuous Baffles
    * 5" Loft, 25° F
    * 62"/ 4 6" Shoulder /Foot Girth
    * 17 oz. Down Fill
    * 2 lbs. Total Weight

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & Te-Wa UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fblc View Post
    Do you think that this one will be enough :

Inside Girth shldr/hip/foot (cm) : 157/150/117
    Inside Girth shdr/hip/foot (in) : 157/150/117

Size (cm) : 200
    Size (ft/in) : 200

* 5 1/4" Spacing/Continuous Baffles
    * 5" Loft, 25° F
    * 62"/ 4 6" Shoulder /Foot Girth
    * 17 oz. Down Fill
    * 2 lbs. Total Weight
    I was asking the same questions last year as the chill hit the air. I ended up buying a PeaPod, and after 42 days in it, I am very pleased. Many of the nights were in the upper 20s and low 30s. Also, it is longer than a regular sleeping bag and gives you plenty of room.
    I also one a Western Mountaineering bag and love it, but if you are going to spend that kind of money I recommend getting a PeaPod.
    "Well, you might be lazy, but if we were not all about comfort here this would be a tent forum!" - - Roadtorque

Quote Originally Posted by Pastorus View Post
    I was asking the same questions last year as the chill hit the air. I ended up buying a PeaPod, and after 42 days in it, I am very pleased. Many of the nights were in the upper 20s and low 30s. Also, it is longer than a regular sleeping bag and gives you plenty of room.
    I also one a Western Mountaineering bag and love it, but if you are going to spend that kind of money I recommend getting a PeaPod.
    Does the peapod still good when it is used on the ground lika a quilt ?

When you sleep near 32F do you use only the peapod or you add a top blanket ? Is this case do you thnink that the western mountainering will do the job because I don't want to carry 2 sleeping systems.

Thanks
    Last edited by fblc; 10-19-2010 at 04:44.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    fblc. It can work with the bags you've shown. I did the same sort of thing last year as my first attempt at staying warm in a hammock.

A couple questions..
    Are planning on backpacking with this set-up?
    If so, get the down bag for ease of compressability, and better warmth to weight. Big synthetic bags do not pack well, and take up a ton of pack space.

The sleeping bag will hinder the lay of the hammock some, especially leg room and laying diagonally, so know that going in. Many folks have tried the bag around the hammock and usually evolve into using quilts specifically for this reason.
    And weight, sooner or later, if you stick with it, weight will be an issue. So choose wisely.

Do you have a hammock?
    The bag does not work well a netted hammock (zippered style). So you'll need a bug sock which will cover the outside of the bag and the topside of you. More netting equals more weight. And the zippered style hammock will not allow you to cacoon yourself in the bag. Bags only really work with top-loader, no net style hammocks.

If you already have a bag and hammock, experiment with it. Save up for a topquilt and underquilt or make your own. They were made by folks who tried the bag theory and realized there is a better way stay warm.
    Quilts fit better to the hammock, allow the hammock to move more freely, and are still versatile enough to be used on the ground with a pad (which you would probably use with a sleeping bag on the ground).
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle View Post
    fblc. It can work with the bags you've shown. I did the same sort of thing last year as my first attempt at staying warm in a hammock.

A couple questions..
    Are planning on backpacking with this set-up?
    If so, get the down bag for ease of compressability, and better warmth to weight. Big synthetic bags do not pack well, and take up a ton of pack space.

The sleeping bag will hinder the lay of the hammock some, especially leg room and laying diagonally, so know that going in. Many folks have tried the bag around the hammock and usually evolve into using quilts specifically for this reason.
    And weight, sooner or later, if you stick with it, weight will be an issue. So choose wisely.

Do you have a hammock?
    The bag does not work well a netted hammock (zippered style). So you'll need a bug sock which will cover the outside of the bag and the topside of you. More netting equals more weight. And the zippered style hammock will not allow you to cacoon yourself in the bag. Bags only really work with top-loader, no net style hammocks.

If you already have a bag and hammock, experiment with it. Save up for a topquilt and underquilt or make your own. They were made by folks who tried the bag theory and realized there is a better way stay warm.
    Quilts fit better to the hammock, allow the hammock to move more freely, and are still versatile enough to be used on the ground with a pad (which you would probably use with a sleeping bag on the ground).
    I have one hammock like this :

but only a mummy sleeping bag for limit 5°c.

In my hammock i use a neo air régular for buttom isolation.

What I need is a multi-use 3 seasons sleeping system to sleep well near 0°c (32F) sometimes in a hammock and sometimes on the ground.

At the begining I chose a Kellty 35+ after having read this :
    http://www.backpackgeartest.org/revi...erek%20Hansen/

but I found that the western mountainering Sycamore better due to his shape semi rectangular. Perahps it's a mistake. It's hard to say.
    Last edited by fblc; 10-19-2010 at 05:59.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & Te-Wa UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fblc View Post
    Does the peapod still good when it is used on the ground lika a quilt ?

When you sleep near 32F do you use only the peapod or you add a top blanket ? Is this case do you thnink that the western mountainering will do the job because I don't want to carry 2 sleeping systems.

Thanks
    I haven't used it on the ground, though I'm sure it would be nice as a quilt or a bag.
    I've found no need for a top quilt or blanket at colder temps, and have slept comfortably down to 24º without anything more than a wool socks, long underwear, and a warm hat. The hat lets me open the PeaPod up a bit for breathing. I'm told that some people close their pods completely. This would certainly add some warmth but I like breathing the ice cold air.
    "Well, you might be lazy, but if we were not all about comfort here this would be a tent forum!" - - Roadtorque

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    A bag that worked perfectly for me and was a good price was the Kelty Galactic. I recommended these to several folks but it looks like Kelty has been taking them off the market. They had a 20* and 30* versions. I retro-fitted mine and put a draw cord in the foot end.

• + New Posts