Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    Dejoha:
    I want to compliment you on making a fairly inexpensive, reasonably easy to build, fully transportable multi hang hammock stand. It may not meet the standards of the Tensegrity purists but it is still a wonderful design that most of the common man hangers will build. I thank you for the design work, effort and plans, as soon as I can clear a spot in the yard, space permitting, I will be building one of these for the house.
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    I see far more compliments for a terrific stand!

Here's the definition of tensegrity. I think the difference is that a tensegrity structure can stand alone in space, having the necessary tension and compression self contained. In your structure, the earth is an integral component. However, that is what makes it simple!
    Thanks Mac.

After reading that definition, though, it seems that this stand would pass the litmus test for tensegrity--the definition doesn't mention it can't use earth support. Even on our other stand, having it staked down is essential, especially for one person, or the stand becomes unbalanced. I had that issue when I made my first stand in my family room -- all my kids had to get in and exit the stand at one time to retain balance.

"architectural principle in which compression and tension are used to give a structure its form."

While the earth is used to anchor the system, the same principles apply of using tension and pressure to maintain its shape. There are no cross bars or interlinked structural elements.

Like I said, maybe in its purest form, it is not a stand-alone tensegrity, where like an un-anchored pup-tent it can be moved around. But to be a viable hammock stand, any tensegrity structure must be earth anchored to work. This was one of the truths I discovered when building my own tensegrity prisms on the other thread. Even when evenly loaded with three people, if one person gets out, the other two are likely to tip the structure if the stand is not anchored.

I don't want to belabor the point too much. I guess I don't care too much, although it is clear I disagree that this stand is not using tensegrity as part of it's construction.

So, yes, it is a cool up-to-three person stand that uses tensile and compressive forces to work. It is surprising this stand is so sturdy, simple, and inexpensive.

I love it, tensegrity or no.

Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    Content aside, that was one of the most entertaining videos in memory.
    I'm glad I made you smile. I love my little helpers.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo
    ...one of the most entertaining videos in memory.
    +1
    Somehow I missed the video, but I just watched it... and I have to agree with Dave!

The laundry in the background is suggestive...
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbamaguy View Post
    Dejoha:
    I want to compliment you on making a fairly inexpensive, reasonably easy to build, fully transportable multi hang hammock stand.
    Thanks! I think you wrapped this up well...that is exactly why this stand works for me. Good luck on building one too!!

Hammock
    TeeDee Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    Customized JRB
    Insulation
    Down or IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    I see far more compliments for a terrific stand!

Here's the definition of tensegrity. I think the difference is that a tensegrity structure can stand alone in space, having the necessary tension and compression self contained. In your structure, the earth is an integral component. However, that is what makes it simple!
    Hmmm, seems to me that earth pretty much stands alone in space - so maybe using the earth as part of the stand just means that the stand is standing alone in space !?!?!?

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    You may be right... gives a new meaning to "fully transportable", eh?
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    8x10 made by me
    Insulation
    JRB winter UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel Whoopies
    Great design! This is much simpler than previous designs and doable for most anyone inclined to try .

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Your new hammock stand is great. There's nothing sacred about the tensegrity design.

I'm still looking for a semi-portable hammock stand that doesn't need to be anchored to the earth. I learned at MAHHA that longer struts which enable a bigger base are much more likely to bend under load. I also learned not to skimp on anchors when using a smaller base. Your 36" rebar anchors look good. I was using 18" rebar that wasn't bent into a hook, and a tendon slipped off the anchor, allowing the stand to tip over. I wasn't the one in the hammock, but I was standing near one of the struts, and I got clipped in the side of the head. I was lucky; all I got out if it was a lump and a shiner, now largely healed though still colorful. Pedro was in the hammock and escaped unscathed.

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Wow WV...I'm glad you are okay. The no-anchor multi-stand _is_ the challenge, me thinks. Well, they exist, but there is a lot of hardware involved. The simple, ultra-portable design is the one waiting for the winning X-prize.

When I set up my un-tensegrity stand for the video, I found that the bent rebar is worthless in hard packed dirt, like my back yard. I painstakingly straightened all the bars so I could hammer them into the ground. The 3-foot length is about right, I think.

Hammock
    Switchback/Treklite
    Tarp
    BWDD WinterDream
    Insulation
    IX 5-in-1/WM bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies/TL Stand
    Having seen the burning man stands several years ago, and wanting to try it with our extended family during a campout, I am thrilled to see this thread. I never understood it quite well enough to get the supplies and motivate the crew. Now it will be soooo easy thanks to your great photos and visuals. And just in time for our Thanksgiving gathering. I so very much appreciate all your work to illustrate this simple multi-hammock hang system.

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast