Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

TQ using two Costco throws

Okay so I mulled this idea over in my head and started a thread to discuss the idea. You can see it here

Making 2 Costco down throws into a TQ
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...d.php?t=119016

So starting out I had to rip the horizontal seams. I'll try to (briefly) outline (with pictures) a technique that I found particularly quick. Allowing me to tear both quilts horizontal seams in about 100 minutes give or take.

Get a decent amount of thread starting from one end. Enough to get a decent grip on

Start pulling and the fabric will start bunching up. Now don't get greedy cause this thread ain't strong and you'll just break it way shorter than you want

Use a seam ripper. This would have taken me a million years with a small knife. Buy one. Steal one from your wife or grandmas sewing kit. It's very useful. Use the ripper to cut a thread a bit ahead of the bunched area

I was averaging pieces about 10-15 inches and and it takes 30 seconds to pull one. You do the math.

Here's a picture of some thread

After I had that all done I shook the down as far to one end as I could. The used a ruler to kinda scrape the vertical baffles and push the down a bit farther.

Now this is a bit of an unfair picture cause all the down was sitting at the bottom 30 inches or so but I ended up using about 40 inches length that I cut each one down to. So loft is exaggerated here.

If you read the above thread I basically went with the plan I had outlined. I connected the two 40" concentrated down sections of the two quilts and left an extra row as kind of a baffle for the connection point.

You will see that someone had mentioned pushing the down up on the outside of the bottom sections and tapering the footbox area. I wish I had done that but today is literally the first time (I borrowed my neighboUrs) I have ever used a thread injector in my life (and let me tell you I will never gripe about cottage vendor prices again. They're practically giving things away if they experience 1/10th the aggravation I did with the bobbin and coming unspooled cause I'm too bone headed to grab the thread) so I didn't want to push my luck. Everything else worked out pretty well.

I ended up what you see below. Total width is the full 60" (and a liberally spaced footbox) and length I would say is 73-75 inches (necessary as im 6'3). I sewed a channel for the footbox and cliched it using some zing-it and a double chord lock. Sewed the footbox to be about 25 inches deep. I may have to extend that if its not high enough for my 3/4 UQ. Loft is good. I'm laying in my hammock in about a 67* basemebt in only boxers and only a thin blanket under me and im overheating (I run warm usually) and an pull it up over my face.

I think this was a good learning experience and hopefully I can test the quilt in some actual weather conditions and report how it handles. I think more DIY gear is in my foreseeable future.

Hammock
    DIY Bananahammock
    Tarp
    Dutch Duo
    Insulation
    DIY / HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Kevlar & UCR
    Good job! What's the weight?
    Get lost in the woods and find yourself again. A vacation,to me, is working with your hands and surviving because of the fruits of your labor. In the business world I teach;in the natural world I learn.

Hammock
    Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    noah16/HH hex
    Insulation
    0 incubator/costco
    Suspension
    whoopies n straps
    This looks really great. Congrats!
    “All grown-ups were once children... but only few of them remember it.”

Hammock
    Dutch , DIY, Nano
    Tarp
    HH Hex,BCUSA 12x10
    Insulation
    PLUQ, HG Phoenix
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Nice! You did it

Wow, it's definitely inspiring. Good job!

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Canahang View Post
    ... I think more DIY gear is in my foreseeable future.
    One of the best parts!
    "You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

Hammock
    Dutch Half-Wit
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    JRB ORM/WL 15 UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Looks good! I do that same method for pulling the threads. It puts a little extra stress on the sewn holes, but they close back up after a quick trip in the dryer with some tennis balls.

I'm impressed with the growing number of posts on these Costco throws. So much potential for such a cheap investment.

Hammock
    DIY 11.5 ft
    Tarp
    DIY xenon sil 5300
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    webbing and rings

TQ using two Costco throws

Thanks for the write up and pics, it looks great! I didn't rip any seams when I made my UQ, but I think I'll try it when I make my TQ.

Thanks everyone!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BananaHammock View Post
    Good job! What's the weight?
    weighed it today

Just under 1.5 pounds with stuff sack isn't bad in my opinion!

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    One of the best parts!
    I'll have to source a good thread injector of my own!

Quote Originally Posted by bser272 View Post
    Looks good! I do that same method for pulling the threads. It puts a little extra stress on the sewn holes, but they close back up after a quick trip in the dryer with some tennis balls.

I'm impressed with the growing number of posts on these Costco throws. So much potential for such a cheap investment.
    Well now they're available in Canada so you'll start seeing all of our projects!

Quote Originally Posted by gfstanley View Post
    Thanks for the write up and pics, it looks great! I didn't rip any seams when I made my UQ, but I think I'll try it when I make my TQ.
    I think it's only really beneficial to seam rip if you're going to alter the length and concentrate the down. I'm not sure it would help with the coolness from the sewn through construction. Make sure you post pics!

Hammock
    Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    noah16/HH hex
    Insulation
    0 incubator/costco
    Suspension
    whoopies n straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Canahang View Post

I think it's only really beneficial to seam rip if you're going to alter the length and concentrate the down. I'm not sure it would help with the coolness from the sewn through construction. Make sure you post pics!
    There's a lot of down stuck in the seams that is freed up when the baffles in one direction are removed
    “All grown-ups were once children... but only few of them remember it.”

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast