TW Green Hornet
    Tarp
    TW comelius 3x3 mt
    Insulation
    Pad..it's hot here
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Images
    I just had myself (255 lbs ) my wife and her friend- a combined 250lbs ( i am not aloud to publish individual numbers) more. So over 500 lbs. We had a little flex because of the cheap poly rope I built it with...but I used truckers hitches at each stake...so I just did a little adjusting on 2 side ropes and we were good to go....
    Build it...it will hold you...and if you don't like it your only out of pocket 40 bucks.
    My tenth wonder green hornet is 2.8 meters long ( just over 9 feet) so I drilled my peg holes 1 foot from the top. I love this thing, I'm getting another green hornet and another regular hammock. I will put a lower peg in each 2 x 4 so I can hang the regular hammocks under the green hornets to hold our gear...and with three 3 meter x 3 meter tarps on the diamond hang the center will be covered ( not waterproof) and make a great sunshade.
    Our own little circus tent!

Images
    The setup I showed the picture of above was tested with more than 850 lbs, evenly spread over the three hammocks.

You really want to make sure that the anchors are solid in the ground.
    We had good, heavy and quite dry soil but i had to reset the 1ft T-Shape anchors after two days.
    1ft long anchors were a little bit short but worked out better than expected.

Having the heavy weight spread evenly in there, you could even loosen the top rope to properly refasten it and ratchet the loading straps down.

Hammock
    TW Green Hornet
    Tarp
    TW comelius 3x3 mt
    Insulation
    Pad..it's hot here
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Images

Boy Scout Tested and approved

Hi All - I know the saying is without photos it didn't happen...No picks of this - But you'll have to trust me....
    I set up our YATS at the Oshobo Sacred Forest in Nigeria. This is a world heritage site...http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/1118

We had 3 Green Hornet hammocks (made by Tenth Wonder) set up and 3 of their Grass Green Ultra-light hammocks under them for holding our gear.

First thing I did was rig all 6 of the hammocks with 2 Stainless Steel welded rings on each end using the rope that came with the hammock - I tied a triple fisherman's knot to make a continuous loop....Set up was super simple like putting on a belt.

So - 6 hammocks up, all is well...and I head off to make dinner for the other leaders...Next think I know I heard a bunch of laughing (This is always suspicious with teenage boys) and I turn to see 6 boys swinging on the 6 hammocks - and the YATS never budged.....

Hammock
    TW Green Hornet
    Tarp
    TW comelius 3x3 mt
    Insulation
    Pad..it's hot here
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Images
    So....anouther weekend, anouther BSA campout. We camped on a beach...we had been there before and I knew that the few trees there are either way to close or way to far apart...So the YATS was brought along.
    Worked great on the sand...no issues at all...love this thing.
    And since if you don't have pics it didn't happen....see the pic of out Three Tenth Wonder hammoks with mosqito net. Also have a lower hammock to hold our gear. I will have to add the pics later our Internet way too slow tonight!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by CaptDoug; 04-21-2014 at 02:52.

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy or DIY
    Tarp
    DIY hex or winter
    Insulation
    WL 3/4 UQ, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks (IGD)
    Images
    We have a few scouts that are hammocking on a regular basis, but our campout this month was at a site with almost no pairs of trees without huge pricker bushes and most trees are just too far apart, so I made a quick trip to Lowe's and got the necessary equipment on Wednesday, and did a quick test assembly on Friday and told the boys if they stuck it out in the tent on Friday they could get the stand assembled on Saturday.

There was some trouble with the rain that kept on rolling though, especially when my son said, "What happens when I push on this pocket of water". The result was that it traveled off his tarp, onto a second tarp and was deposited onto the third scouts hammock. Oh well, we'll have to work on the tarping of it, but they all had fun.
    "Mountains should be climbed with as little effort as possible and without desire. ... To live only for some future goal is shallow. It’s the sides of the mountain that sustain life, not the top. Here's where things grow." - Robert M. Pirsig

Subscribe to my YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/PaCampingDad

Hammock
    DIY RS custom
    Tarp
    DIY winter custom
    Insulation
    DIY UQ+TQ &/or bag
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie+Straps
    hmmmm.. need to design a tarp specifically for the stand. Not sure if a solid triangle for the center would be better than one with a hole... especially if you foresee a cooking fire in the middle.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    JRB Universal Tarp
    Insulation
    Thermarest Regulus
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    I recently purchased a Warbonnet Ridgerunner and found it didn't quite fit on my Hayneedle Viking stand, so I tried a two pole version of this stand. Worked fairly well, though I didn't tighten the top line quite enough the first time around and found myself on my butt when I tried to sit on the hammock. If you don't preload the system, the pole tops will move in when you sit. The Claw anchors worked fantastic. I tried something similar to this last year and had my stakes pull out. The Claws didn't budge.

photo 1.JPG

photo 2.JPG

~Dan

Senior Member Scotty Von Porkchop's Avatar
    Hammock
    BeUL with stretchy footbox
    Tarp
    silnylon hex
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Mule tape
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptDoug View Post
    So....anouther weekend, anouther BSA campout. We camped on a beach...we had been there before and I knew that the few trees there are either way to close or way to far apart...So the YATS was brought along.
    Worked great on the sand...no issues at all...love this thing.
    And since if you don't have pics it didn't happen....see the pic of out Three Tenth Wonder hammoks with mosqito net. Also have a lower hammock to hold our gear. I will have to add the pics later our Internet way too slow tonight!
    Possibly the most complicated hammock setup I've ever seen, it looks fantastic though !

Hammock
    DIY RS custom
    Tarp
    DIY winter custom
    Insulation
    DIY UQ+TQ &/or bag
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie+Straps
    Those Claw anchors are pretty expensive but pretty cool looking. It seems they are meant mainly for vertical forces... how are they holding up with being pulled semi-laterally?

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    JRB Universal Tarp
    Insulation
    Thermarest Regulus
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by e_2 View Post
    Those Claw anchors are pretty expensive but pretty cool looking. It seems they are meant mainly for vertical forces... how are they holding up with being pulled semi-laterally?
    I didn't see any indications of it being a problem. They didn't budge an inch and nothing was bent, twisted, etc. Although the instructions indicate they prefer a 90 degree angle, based on the tetrahedron design, I'm only 30 degrees off the vertical, so they still have most of their advantage.

I purchased a 4-pack of Claws from christmaslightshow.com for $70.

~Dan

• + New Posts
  • Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast