WBBB/DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    IX/MW3, Mamba TQ
    Suspension
    Custom 2 RL

A second Structural ridgeline

So I have a question/proposal. I have seen several people comment on only having trees that are farther apart than idea resulting in having to hang very high to get to 15 deg. My question is would a second structural RL (set to slightly longer than tarp length) allow an almost flat suspension hang while still giving the actual hammock a 15 deg hang. Thoughts for it are making the normally small loop between the actual end of the hammock and the actual suspension noticeably longer and then connecting the second RL to where that and the main suspension meet. By adjusting that to allow a 15 deg angle between the hammock end and there would allow a flat suspension while keeping the angle at the hammock.

Other advantage I see is by making the second RL slightly longer than your tarp you can hang the tarp off of it which saves carrying/setting up a second suspension for the tarp. Using the main suspension also means there is no small line around the tree to potentially harm the tree in the event of high winds that was discussed somewhere (can't remember where that thread is though on why huggers for the tarp also).

Thoughts on why it would/wouldn't work are welcome, I'm sure I've missed some stuff somewhere either good or bad.

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    8x10 made by me
    Insulation
    JRB winter UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel Whoopies
    How high would your tree straps need to be? I see that as a problem.

Hammock
    N/A
    Tarp
    N/A
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    N/A
    Images
    Your idea would work. You could select a ridge line length and suspension setup that would guarantee proper hang every time.

The loading on this ridgeline could be very high though depending on how flat you try to hang the main suspension (from trees to ridge line).

In theory a structural ridgeline on the hammock should remove the need to keep 30deg hang though... assuming it has little stretch and can handle the strain. The second ridge line is supplemental and provides the main ridgeline with the angle we've been told we need

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    The idea has merit but one quick correction. The target ridgeline angle is 30 deg from horizontal, not 15.

Also tarps hung from suspension lines (ala Hennessy Hammocks) tend to sag when you lay in the hammock.

Still, you're thinking outside the box and that's a good thing.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Why do I have visions of an Evil Knievel hammocker using this concept to swing between the north & south rims of the Grand Canyon? Never mind ... just a hallucination!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    JRB Universal Tarp
    Insulation
    Thermarest Regulus
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by XexorZ View Post
    In theory a structural ridgeline on the hammock should remove the need to keep 30deg hang though... assuming it has little stretch and can handle the strain. The second ridge line is supplemental and provides the main ridgeline with the angle we've been told we need
    I agree with this. The original structural ridgeline already takes the forces of a non-ideal hang off of the hammock. It seems like your second ridgeline only serves to take the tension off the original structural ridgeline, although that may be a good thing.

~Dan

Hammock
    DIY Camo Cocoon
    Tarp
    Tricked out SWT
    Insulation
    DIY 4 layer IX
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    In my experience, the flatter you run your suspension the more stretch you will get once you are in the hammock. Of course you could combat this by really torquing dowm on the main suspension but that would not be good for the hammock's durability.

I try and shoot for 30 degrees or so like Knotty mentioned.
    Last edited by GvilleDave; 10-20-2010 at 13:24.

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Try and see if it works! Pics, of course, or it didn't happen!
    "The more I carry the happier I am in camp; the less I carry the happier I am getting there" - Sgt. Rock

Hammock
    WBBB/DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    IX/MW3, Mamba TQ
    Suspension
    Custom 2 RL
    Well half of the point of it for me is to let me have my tarp on tree straps w/o them in the way of the main ones and having to carry the 2 sets. Anyway sometime I guess I'll just have to try it. Now to find somewhere to hang it that's large enough to test with, severely lacking in trees here... guess its a good excuse to be in the woods though. Time to do some math.

Hammock
    WBBB/DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    IX/MW3, Mamba TQ
    Suspension
    Custom 2 RL
    Okay so a semi-quick assembly is done. From what I've found I made a math error and should have made my my extender loops about 6" longer but due to my suspension I was able to make it hang-able. A low weight test (only like 10-15# as what it was hanging from to visual check won't hold weight) showed that I can hang it on an almost flat suspension that's anchored chest high (what I had for mount points). Doing so I still have a 30 deg angle (plus or minus about 1 deg based on using my compass's inclination thing) on both ends easily with the upper RL about 10" above the hammock's original RL, which is suitable for a tarp still. I do still need to make a more permanent set of extenders/upper RL still (for appearance/less to hang on I'd like it to be buries vs knots) with the extender longer and figure out how to get all of the pieces to connect cleanly. I will probably end up either making the upper RL buries with a descender ring already in the loop or using a biner. Hopefully early next week I will get a chance to get to hang it from some trees that will actually hold weight to do some real testing of it and get pics.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast