Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

attention speer spe owners

i got my 4x4. now the question i have is...how do you pack it? youve got a regular 20 inche pad, the spe itself and 4 or even 8 pad wings. how do you guys pack them?

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    I have a DIY SPE that I leave on the main pad. I remove the wings, Fold the wings in, then fold my z-rest. I than take the wings and put it with the folded z-rest on the outside to protect yhr SPE. The z-rest gets attached to the bottom of my pack horizontally. If you use a rolled up pad it would work the same. I don't use a self inflating pad but I imagine it would work the same. This way I don't have to put the SPE in the sleeve everytime. I can always use the wings as a seat pad if needed.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Like Dutch, I remove the wings, but leave the main pad in place. I then roll it into a large cylinder and put it in the pack. Everything else goes inside the 'SPE tube'. The wing pads get shoved down the sides when it's all over.

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    You could stand them straight up and line the inside of the pack. You could strap them on the outside of your pack.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

in-tellesting.
    ever try leaving the wings in place, pulling the maine pad out and rolling it around the spe to protect the material? just thinking.

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyquest View Post
    in-tellesting.
    ever try leaving the wings in place, pulling the maine pad out and rolling it around the spe to protect the material? just thinking.
    That could work but the material needs no protection really. It is kinda a pain to slip the pad(s) in the SPE in the field. Much easier to have it already on the pad.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Quote Originally Posted by FanaticFringer View Post
    That could work but the material needs no protection really. It is kinda a pain to slip the pad(s) in the SPE in the field. Much easier to have it already on the pad.
    great point! and one that comes from experience. thanks!

Images
    I have:
    1:removed wings as already suggested above, and

2: folded the wings in with wing pads and main pad all in place, so that they lie in an opposite line to the main pad. Then role the whole thing up in a normal fashion traditionally used for pads. Then strap to the top, bottom or back of my pack. It takes a little effort to role the pad up this way, as you are "going against the grain" of the wings, so to speak, and the wings end up with a little "memory" curve in them. But no big deal, it's not that much effort and it still works. Both methods work fine, but I tend to use the latter as I don't want to fool with taking pads out of wings. I never take the main pad out.

Keep in mind that I still use an large, 6lb McHale pack, just because I love the way it fits me and the way it carries any load, 20lb or 60lb ( hopefully never again!). So a place to put the pad, inside or out, is of no concern for me at the moment.

I haven't packed with mine a whole lot yet, but when I have I just pull the SPE off the pads and leave it in the hammock to be stuffed with it. I use a z-rest, so it accordions into my P2. The wing pads just get tucked into the large outer pocket of the P2 where they are handy as sit pads when taking a break. I really have not found it difficult to slip the pads into the SPE, just have to grab one end of the pad after getting it started and pull it through, your arm and all going into the SPE. Sorta like you stuff a sleeping bag to the bottom of a stuff sack. Really only takes me a few seconds.
    Last edited by lyleb; 11-19-2007 at 14:50.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyquest View Post
    i got my 4x4. now the question i have is...how do you pack it? youve got a regular 20 inche pad, the spe itself and 4 or even 8 pad wings. how do you guys pack them?
    What kind of pack do you have? Mine fits into the external pad pocket of my Gossamer Gear G-4 and Mariposa packs along with my sit pad.
    Brian
    ...and there came to be a day, all too soon, that I became aware that I could travel no more on my long journey. Though I did not arrive where I had planned, I believe that here is exactly where I am supposed to be...

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast