Hammock
    OBX
    Tarp
    Rain proof
    Insulation
    Lipids
    Suspension
    Roman Arc

Question Please suggest a hammock set up for me.

I read the hammock noob sticky but this site has so much jargon I'm unfamiliar with that I hope you guys/gals don't mind if we personalize the advice for me.

Here's some priorities:
    1. Budget (I'm poor, assume that I have a sleeping bag and a car, that's about it.

2. Versatility - Nothing too elaborate but something I can whip out whether it be camping or sleeping over at a friend's house in their yard.

3. Size - I'm 6'2, 230 lbs so I can't have a weak set up I guess, OTOH, I don't mind toting around a little heft.

4. Weather - I won't have much use for a hammock in Guangxi so let's assume this hammock will have to deal with SE US (NC) conditions.

If there's anything else I should consider, feel free to chime in. TIA.
    They see me swingin', they hatin'...

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Hmm. How about the Grand Trunk Parachute Double? Get a large hammock and you'll be most happy.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    I hear your pain... but in all honesty I would suggest you make the effort to get familiar with the "jargon". Here's why... Hammocks are very individualistic. Some suit one user where a different user would be most dissatisfied. For example, there are some hammocks that I simply could not use at all. The narrow hammocks would be an absolute nightmare for me. Yet there are others on the forum who find them the most comfortable and far more than just satisfactory. In some ways you won't know until you try.

I'm a bottom entry HH advocate. But that's mostly because my mobility impairments are best compensated for by the bottom entry. HH is the only company that offers that feature. The problem with personalizing the advice is just exactly that... You are the only one who knows what your personality requires.

The Grand Trunk products are extremely serviceable with good customer service to back them up. So are the Treklight and ENO hammocks. In general I would agree that a larger hammock is more comfortable. However, I got rid of my Safari because it just plain too big _for me_. I have the explorer UL and really like it.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    You're gonna need a tarp and you listed budget and not careing about the weight. Look into getting a Guide Gear 12x12 tarp. If you find that you can order one but it's backordered until such and such time, still order it. You'll be charged only when it ships.

My husband is a bit larger than you and I've just now ordered and received a BlackBird 1.7 double layer for him. He's tried my Clark and my Hennessy and found that he preferred laying more off-center. He loves the Blackbird. Says he has lots of room for his feet. (this was something that concerned him a lot and the Blackbird has a dedicated foot pocket).

Give some thought as to how you want to lay in a hammock (down the center with the sides of the hammock pressing on you or off the center and you don't have the shoulder squeeze so much). Plus at your size, all ways look at the larger hammocks (if a company makes their version of hammocks in larger and reg sizes).

When I got the Blackbird for my husband, I also got the adjustable webbing suspension for him. This is just about the easyist method of attaching your hammock to a tree that I have ever tried. The tree strap is the webbing and you just wrap about the tree and connect with a carabiner (also ordered with the Blackbird). Then you adjust the length to fit between the trees with this really neat buckle that is on the webbing. So easy a caveman (or my husband!!) could do it. And NO knots!! NONE!!

Under insulation... I went to a local army surplus store and bought a couple of military poncho liners and tied one around the bottom and threw one inside the hammock for my husband. He also put his therma-rest between the layers of the hammock bottom. The temps on our last trip was 38 degrees when we got up the next morning. He said he slept toasty.

I'm also in NC and deal with humidity, a lot!! And skeeters!! What ever hammock you get, you will need skeeter netting!!! All year round!!! I was outside last night and was flat out swarmed by them. Humidity you'll learn to deal with.

You'll need some stakes for your tarp, I use the off brand of groundhogs. Way cheaper and work just as well. Found mine on base and did I mention way cheaper??!!

Ok, so that's tarp, stakes, hammock and insulation. You can use your sleeping bag for your in the hammock covers instead of or with the poncho liner. The hammock will be your big investment here but it's well worth spending a little more on and getting a good quality hammock to start with.

Please note that this is just my opinions and please take them as only that.

TinaLouise

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I did some videos for the NOOBS .... they may help. They may hinder. They may answer. They may confuse.
    Shug
    Shug's Hammock Hangin' for NOOBS
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    You can get a cheap traveler hammock (Grand Trunk), suspension, a head net, foam pad, and cheap tarp all for under $50. Probably not the best setup for doing a lot of camping, but will do if you just have to spend the absolute minimum. To upgrade that to something "good" for camping, you're probably talking about $100 minimum for a larger hammock and tarp (with all the other), and at that point, with the versatility you're talking about, you might be better off with an all-in-one package deal like the Hennessy Expedition ($140) or Grand Trunk Air Bivy ($150). Actually, Hennessy is having a demo sale... you could probably get a great deal on the Expedition, OR maybe just a great deal on a good tarp to use with the cheaper travel hammock.

Hammock
    OBX
    Tarp
    Rain proof
    Insulation
    Lipids
    Suspension
    Roman Arc
    First and foremost, thanks people,

Okay, well that's not as pricey as I thought it might be. I'm still really hazy on the tarps and insulation parts. Are all tarps not created equal? You guys make it sound like there are specific camping tarps. They just need to be wide enough to act as a wind and rain block and thick enough to dim the sunlight, right? Insulation? Are we just talking about covers like down quilts and what not or am I missing something?

I'm not entirely sure how I'd prefer to sleep in a hammock, in a bed I sleep in a strange prone position where my shoulders and upper torso are on the side but the rest of me is on my stomach, with the top leg pulled up. I'm guessing off-center but I'm not sure. When I was a kid I had a really worn out mattress that was completely cushionless in the middle so I more or less slept in a hole but it was some of the best sleep I ever used to get so maybe I wouldn't mind having the sides push on me.

I need to watch those vids that Shug posted.
    They see me swingin', they hatin'...

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Tarps are tarps... but not really. hehehe Backpacking tarps are usually very weight conscious. Silnylon or 35D nylon are most common. Rarely anything over 70D (35D=1.1 oz/yd 70D=1.9 oz/yd). Beyond that, if weight in not an issue you can use almost anything you want including the big box poly tarps or canvas. Most tarps have a noise factor but some are worse than others.

Lots of people use pads inside a hammock for under insulation. It is probably the cheapest route. Personally I don't have much luck with them. But I won't say they are a bad idea because some folks won't use anything else.

Prone is probably going to be a tough position in a hammock. However I manage to side sleep very nicely, thank you very much.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Its when you start tying to get the ultra lite of everything its starts to get real expensive. So a basic set up for me....prices are approximate. Since the hammock is the most important part I went ahead and got a top rated hammock to start with.

Warbonnet BB 1.7 double $190
    Gear Guide Tarp 12 x12 $ 30
    WalMart Blue pad $ 10
    Large North Face synthetic bag $ 80
    Misc line/cord/Dutch Clips $ 30

So for a little over $300 I have a good basic system I can expand on.

So when I get the $$$ I can start to upgrade my tarp for something that weights less, get a UQ ect but for now I have a setup that works for me and I have spent many a night under a variety conditions and places.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    9x10 tyvek
    Insulation
    ww blue ccf pad
    Suspension
    whoopies & toggles
    Images
    Hey Swingus! How averse are you to making some of your own gear? With minimal effort you can crank out a do-it-yourself gathered end hammock for very little out of pocket. It's a nice, inexpensive way to start hanging (and also customizable).

The $5.00 blue walmart pad is also a good place to start for insulation. Basic, but gets the job done reasonably well. As was mentioned earlier, you can always upgrade later.
    You're gonna need a bigger hammock

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast