Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images

Kootenay Lake, just a peek

This happened a few weeks ago on a series of great warm days we had. It started off as a few day trip, that was the plan but then i got sick and it looked like i wouldn't get out at all. I started to feel better 1/2 way into the good weather and decided that a long day trip was good enough otherwise i wouldn't get there at all. It actually worked out great as the temps where allot lower than my valley and i wouldn't have been warm enough ,plus the uninvited guests would have been disturbing, more on that later. I was all packed and so headed off early for Kootenay Lake via Slocan Lake and the Summit/Kaslo River Valley .Fall was really happening,well at least for out area, yellow and green.

When i arrived at Kaslo on Kootenay lake the wind was blowing at about 35MPH and there were 2' wind waves on the lake and i thought well its a washout.

I thought about heading south to the middle of the lake and visit friends and thought about turning around and going back to Slocan Lake as it was calm but a little voice inside said "so what if its not a paddle day , why not stick to the plan and head north and do recon and enjoy the day", and see what happens, so that's what i did . Kootenay Lake is a big lake at 90 miles long and 3 miles wide, deep, and Mnts coming right off the lake. As i drove a bit north i got out and took a couple of shots. This is the Campbell Creek Valley and the Purcells , 7-10,000' and after these going east are the Rockies.

That beach on the far side can only be accessed by water or a trail, its on the list for next yr. Here's another shot a bit farther down the road.

A few more miles up the hyway and you reach Shutty Bench and a small hamlet with a great view up the lake. The far side of that farthest peninsula is Fry Cr Canyon , a place i've camped a few times before in my tent days and was hoping to get there this yr but got distracted with poking around Slocan Lake in my new kayak.

I finally reached a place near the north end of the lake called Lardeau and found a good beach for launching. It was calm so i put in right away trying to get as many hrs of the day in as possible just in case the weather from the south came here.. It was 10:30 and still a bit cold, it got below 0*c last night, but who cares the sun is out and we're paddling.

A little bit of scenery along the way

I was thinking to myself that i was glad i didn't just rush off out the door last night to get here in the dark to sleep out as there is nowhere to get out. There are cliffs from short 4' to 30-40' high all along the shore , regardless i can't get out. The water is a bottle green because of the glaciers just north of here and the water is cold.

I keep heading south just enjoying the paddling but in the back of my mind i'm thinking about not getting too many miles down the lake as the weather from the Kalso area might make its way up here and this lake is notorious for big water in minutes. I'm getting hungry and need to pee but there's nowhere to get out. Finally i squeak out a sketchy exit by some boulders below a low ledge and clamber up to a ledge and gully, find relief and decide to stay on the ledge for lunch.

After lunch i decided to head back fearing my good weather luck was going to run out and the cliffs i was paddling by were going into shade and its only 1:30. I get back to the beach i launch from and the day turns to glass so i head north towards the end of the lake.
    This is the view north.

Thats the Macbeth Icefields in the distance.To the left is the Duncan valley and Duncan Lake, and to the right just out of view is a series of six glaciers which is why the lake at this end is a green color.

I started heading back south to the launch which is just around the corner in this pic. In the old days of paddle wheelers this was the last stop at the north end of Kootenay lake.

I went back to the beach , the sun was starting to get low even on this spit that was getting more sun than most on this side of the lake.

Now i was eyeing this area in the trees between the launch and Davis Cr as a possible camp spot. Beach in front, a hanging spot,,Mmmm. Just then a young girl comes by to have a chat . Her grandpa takes her hiking up the mnts we've been looking at,(9000'), and i get tired just listening to it ,,good for her. She wants to know about my gear, my stove ect and thinks its all cool, she understands carrying less weight is good when going up these mnts.. I was feeling really tired and relaxed after a day of paddling. She says bears come down to the creek mouth a night sometimes to fish, (remember the uninvited guests).,,,,OK so i don't mind black bears but i don't camp in their fishing spot either,,nice spot too. I have to bring in the last of the firewood tomorrow so would have to leave as soon as i got up, cold and with bears ,,ok so maybe i'll stay for dinner on the beach , watch the sun go down , squeak out the last of the day and head back home. Here's the last pic looking down the lake from launch. Another beautiful day.

I was happy to get out to the main part of Kootenay Lake at least once before winter. Having spent so much time on Slocan Lake this yr i can focus on Kootenay Lake next yr but who knows, i'm just happy for every day out. I was back out onslocan lake yesterday and the week before ,,but thats another story.
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    UGQ H11/12 WD11
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ ET's
    Images
    Beautiful.... Thanks for sharing...
    Happy Hangin'

Paul - Master Fabric Welder @ UGQ

>>>VISIT UGQ OUTDOOR HERE<<<

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hammock
    left dbl layer 1.1 BlackBird
    Tarp
    Adventuring Tarp
    Insulation
    KaroStep 3/4
    Suspension
    Whoopies &amp; biners
    Images
    Ive spent a lot of time at Kootney lake, Havent made it back ina few years now. Thanks for the story and pics they are beautiful. When Im next headding back to the area Ill be sure to look you up Mbiraman
    www.terrarosagear.com

Australian made tarps and custom gear.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Mbiraman, nice report and a beautiful spot.

Hitch..Sydney to Kootney is a long ways to paddle??
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Adventuring Tarp
    Insulation
    KaroStep 3/4
    Suspension
    Whoopies &amp; biners
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle View Post
    Hitch..Sydney to Kootney is a long ways to paddle??

its a bugger eh
    www.terrarosagear.com

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Treestrap
    Great report and pictures.
    Terry

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 &amp; Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 &amp; HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HitchHiking View Post
    Ive spent a lot of time at Kootney lake, Havent made it back ina few years now. Thanks for the story and pics they are beautiful. When Im next headding back to the area Ill be sure to look you up Mbiraman
    How is it that you end up in this neck of the woods???
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite &amp; WBBB 1.0 Double
    Insulation
    Crowsnest/No Snive
    Images
    Thanks for posting. After my recent trip to the area, I've decided that it will be an annual autumn trip for me.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Adventuring Tarp
    Insulation
    KaroStep 3/4
    Suspension
    Whoopies &amp; biners
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mbiraman View Post
    How is it that you end up in this neck of the woods???
    My Grandfather hails from the area. Many summer spent on the lake.
    www.terrarosagear.com

Hammock
    hennessy exped asym
    Images
    beautiful pictures and loved the play-by-play! Would love to paddle in those mountain lakes one day...
    Debi

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast