Insulation
    DIY PLoft/IX-UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    WS or Spyder Line
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pope686 View Post
    how do you calculate the % of overstuff to use

was thinking of use a 2" baffle but Im looking to get a 3" loft
    There is a chart on this page for figuring loft http://thru-hiker.com/projects/down_quilt.php, but not overstuff.

I'd be interested to see the replies. I do know that too much overstuff will 'pack the down' and you lose instead of gaining the benefit of the down's airspace.
    2015 John Rock Spreadsheet.

"If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing you should do is STOP DIGGING "

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    IMO I would not count on overstuffing to obtain more loft. You could end up with places on the quilt which are thinner than your desired loft. That could present colder spots. If you used offset baffles (Z baffles) it might be more successful. Even so.. I would plan for the desired loft in the baffles and let the overstuffing provide a little more protection. Important caveat: I am not a designer. So if one of the quilt gurus says I am wrong, listen to them instead of me.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    DIY dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY hex
    Insulation
    DIY 3 season tq+uq
    Suspension
    webbing, again
    Images
    I agree with Rev. I'm not a quilt designer, but have built several. If I wanted 3 inch loft, I would use 3" baffles. Anything above that is a bonus.

Heavy overstuffing is just adding weight (and $$) and not allowing the down to fully loft. In the quilts I made, I overstuffed about 10-15% to cover any rounding errors in calculation and inconsistencies in seam allowances and sewing.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Using 3" baffles for 3" loft means you'll have some extra space in the chambers b/c the quilt changes shape (the baffles don't stay shaped like a rectangle when it's draped over you), down loses some loft over time (when it gets moist/dirty on the trail), etc. I'd calculate a 10-15% overstuff. It may not add a full inch of additional loft, but it will make sure you don't have any thinner spots in your chambers.

If you use only the number you get with the LxWxH calculation, I don't think you'll be satisfied.

But the posts above are correct - if you want a consistent 3" loft, the 2" baffles will constrain the loft to 2" at the baffle seams. So you'll need to decide if you want ~3" loft in the chambers with 2" at the baffles, or 3" at the baffles with slightly more in the chambers.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    WarbonnetBlackbird
    Tarp
    Olive Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubat Dempsey TQ
    Suspension
    Stock Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    Using 3" baffles for 3" loft means you'll have some extra space in the chambers b/c the quilt changes shape (the baffles don't stay shaped like a rectangle when it's draped over you), down loses some loft over time (when it gets moist/dirty on the trail), etc. I'd calculate a 10-15% overstuff. It may not add a full inch of additional loft, but it will make sure you don't have any thinner spots in your chambers.

If you use only the number you get with the LxWxH calculation, I don't think you'll be satisfied.

But the posts above are correct - if you want a consistent 3" loft, the 2" baffles will constrain the loft to 2" at the baffle seams. So you'll need to decide if you want ~3" loft in the chambers with 2" at the baffles, or 3" at the baffles with slightly more in the chambers.
    Go big or go home!

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    HG Summer Set
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    thanks to everyone

hey jeff I'm also adding a 1" to each baffle for the Differential do you still think 15% would be best
    Last edited by Pope686; 10-21-2010 at 15:52.

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by Pope686 View Post
    thanks to everyone

hey jeff I'm also adding a 1" to each baffle for the Differential do you still think 15% would be best
    2 inch baffles with 1 inch diff cut should get you your 3 inch of loft with the right amount to down
    the LxWxH/Fill power is just a good starting point ...i use it all the time
    but it's only a starting point ...from there add in you overstuff

don't forget to add an extra inch to the outside chambers ....when you go to sew the ends you want that extra inch to make up for the space needed
    if not your 2 end or side chambers will be smaller then the rest
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    What do you mean by adding an inch to each baffle?

You should add inches to the outer shell, and this will allow the loft to remain in the UQ when the inner shell is snugged to the hammock. Is this what you're talking about? (as in GLP's post above)

Or you can shape your baffles...cut them like a U instead of a big rectangle. This will help them shape to the hammock so it's easier to get a snug fit.

Regardless, the LxWxH is only a starting point, as GLP says. You may get by with less overstuff if your quilt is shaped, but I'd still plan on an overstuff. How much just depends on your specific design and what you want out of your quilt...which I don't have enough detail to answer. You'll probably want an opinion from one of HF's real quilt-makers, too...rather than just the amateurs who have been answering so far!
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    HG Summer Set
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    that was what i was talking about jeff thanks

I was just getting ready to make one then i sat down and did the pricing for everything and its only $40 off from the price that stormcrow has so I think Im going to just order one from him

but really thanks to all that helped

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast