Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Thanks for researching this WV!

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    I don't know enough at this point to say anything definitive. But I might go easy on microfiber until I found out about the manufacturing. In general the longer the "staple" (or thread fibers) the stronger the fabric. Microfiber has a napped finish which is very comfortable and soft. But whether it would have the strength of long staple nylon/polyester is questionable in my mind. It is fabulous for blankets and clothing but I am not sure what the weight limits would be.
    Thanks, Rev. I'm a bit vague about the properties of microfiber myself. For that reason, I was careful not to use the term in my request to Peak Fabrics. I just asked about "ripstop polyester." In fact, the buyer heard the word "ripstop" and started talking about weights of ripstop nylon, so I corrected her and explained that the lower stretch of polyester was sought. She seemed interested in our applications and anxious to find a suitable fabric.

Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrick View Post
    Thanks for researching this WV!
    You're most welcome. The initial response makes me wonder if similar request calls to OWF, QuestOutfitters, and other vendors with good customer service departments might help. However, this isn't at the top of my priority list, so I think I'll take it one-at-a-time as time permits. Stay tuned.

Hammock
    TeeDee Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    Customized JRB
    Insulation
    Down or IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    I don't know enough at this point to say anything definitive. But I might go easy on microfiber until I found out about the manufacturing. In general the longer the "staple" (or thread fibers) the stronger the fabric. Microfiber has a napped finish which is very comfortable and soft. But whether it would have the strength of long staple nylon/polyester is questionable in my mind. It is fabulous for blankets and clothing but I am not sure what the weight limits would be.
    TeeDee has been using microfiber polyester for ALL of the Bridges he makes for over a year now (probably about 2 years ?) and swears he will use nothing else. He has used 3 different polyester microfiber fabrics - two are ripstop and one isn't. One ripstop weighs 1.9 oz/sq yd, I forget the weight of the other ripstop (it is coated with one side being slippery and the other side very un-slippery) and the non-ripstop weighs 2.0 oz/sq yd. I have see others on the forums making Bridge hammocks from the polyester microfiber fabrics and I haven't seen any reports concerning the strength of the hammocks.

As far as strength we have had no problems and the microfiber fabric has a soft supple feel - much, much, much, much superior to any nylon fabric I have ever felt used in a hammock.

Also, we both prefer the polyester since it doesn't absorb water like the nylon does. That can make a big difference in damp/wet conditions.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TiredFeet View Post
    TeeDee has been using microfiber polyester for ALL of the Bridges he makes for over a year now (probably about 2 years ?) and swears he will use nothing else. He has used 3 different polyester microfiber fabrics - two are ripstop and one isn't. One ripstop weighs 1.9 oz/sq yd, I forget the weight of the other ripstop (it is coated with one side being slippery and the other side very un-slippery) and the non-ripstop weighs 2.0 oz/sq yd. I have see others on the forums making Bridge hammocks from the polyester microfiber fabrics and I haven't seen any reports concerning the strength of the hammocks.

As far as strength we have had no problems and the microfiber fabric has a soft supple feel - much, much, much, much superior to any nylon fabric I have ever felt used in a hammock.

Also, we both prefer the polyester since it doesn't absorb water like the nylon does. That can make a big difference in damp/wet conditions.
    That answers any questions I might have. Thanks for the input.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl / Eno dbl
    Tarp
    Blackcat w/door
    Insulation
    crowsnest / yeti
    Images
    Oh man. I'm excited about this. I was just about to settle with Nylon for the bridges I'll be making this winter. It would be fantastic if I could get the polyester. I'm in no hurry. So, I will wait patiently to see what you find out WV. Many thanks for getting this going!
    Everybody wang chung tonight!

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/Doors
    Insulation
    Yeti or JRB Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Any update on a polyester source yet?

The other thread about removable zipper bug-nets has me anxious to start my winter project; which I'd love to be polyester based this time.
    David

The road goes ever on and on Down from the door where it began. Now far ahead the Road has gone, And I must follow, if I can, Pursuing it with weary feet, Until it joins some larger way, Where many paths and errands meet. And whither then? I cannot say.
    -Frodo Baggins, The Fellowship of the Ring

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    When I called Peak Fabrics, Mrs. Kennedy didn't know the weight of the polyester microfiber she had, so I asked her to take a piece and measure its dimensions and weigh it on a postal scale so I could calculate the weight per sq. yd. She hasn't called or emailed back. She said she was reluctant to cut a piece off the roll just to weigh it. I gathered from what she said that this fabric is mostly used for garments (she mentioned shorts and parka shells). She thought it was at least as heavy as supplex, so it might be 3 or 4 oz. per sq. yd. She also said she sells it for $15/ yd. I expect the polyester microfiber from OWF may be similar, and the cost is significantly less. She was gracious in taking time to answer my questions and apparently made real effort to find polyester ripstop, but I got the impression that her business isn't targetting the gearmaking market.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/Doors
    Insulation
    Yeti or JRB Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Thanks so much for checking. I'm probably a month or so away from starting this project so its no huge rush. And I can always resort to the tried-and-true 1.9 ounce nylon.

I did see that OWF lists their Polyester Microfiber at 4.0 ounce which is of course way too heavy for our needs. I don't know if they can source anything lighter.
    David

The road goes ever on and on Down from the door where it began. Now far ahead the Road has gone, And I must follow, if I can, Pursuing it with weary feet, Until it joins some larger way, Where many paths and errands meet. And whither then? I cannot say.
    -Frodo Baggins, The Fellowship of the Ring

Hammock
    TeeDee Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    Customized JRB
    Insulation
    Down or IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BurningCedar View Post
    Thanks so much for checking. I'm probably a month or so away from starting this project so its no huge rush. And I can always resort to the tried-and-true 1.9 ounce nylon.

I did see that OWF lists their Polyester Microfiber at 4.0 ounce which is of course way too heavy for our needs. I don't know if they can source anything lighter.
    Do NOT rely or believe the fabric weights listed on the OWF web site. They are very unreliable. If you want a good estimate of the fabric weight, call and ask them to measure and weigh. In our experience they will do so if they have the time.

In emailing and talking to them on the phone, I was told that the weights on the web site are just numbers put there because the site designer put a place for them. So whoever fills in the information puts a number down.

Another factor that muddies the water: some people putting down the information think it is running yard weight and others think it is shipping weight and others think it is weight per unit square. So take your pick as to which is displayed or maybe none of the above.

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images
    So, what's the upshot of this? Where does TeeDee get polyester microfiber for his bridge hammocks? I, too, am interested in polyester ripstop. Thanks!!!
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

Surely, God never did.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12