Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quite a bit of info on both of those here and in the whiteblaze archives - just do a search.

My system changes pretty often, but here's an example.

For 50s when bugs might be a problem, I use the JRB 3 season set w/ the Hennessy. I've been playing with the Warbonnet but I've only tested it outdoors with the quilts once...worked fine.

For 40s, I assume bugs won't be a problem and take the DownHammock and JRB NS. A half-length CCF pad insulates the legs b/c the DownHammock is only insulated down to my thighs to save weight.

For 30s, I use the DownHammock and JRB NS and take extra insulating clothes.

Last time I was in the 20s/teens, I used the Exped Downmat 7 with the Sierra Designs Wicked Fast bag and the JRB NS on top of that. Probably would have used the DownHammock but my son was in it.

Last time I was below teens, I used the Downmat, JRB NS and PeaPod...I was VERY warm and had to vent down to my waist a few times. I didn't really like fidgeting with blowing up the pad in conditions like that, though.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    DIY Bridge/DD Travel
    Tarp
    Kathmandu/Superfly
    Insulation
    Exped/DIY UB
    I was hammocking at Loch Tay at the weekend, coldest night was the friday, temps got down to 5.5 deg c, 41 or so f, but there was a strong very cold wind off the Loch.

I was in a HH expedition with a snugpack under quilt, as this was the first time I've used the u/quilt with the HH I also brought and used a 38mm thermarest inside, unfortunately I brought the full size not the 3/4, even partially inflated it doesnt fit well, annoying more than anything else.

I used a Rab quantum endurance 600 sleeping bag which is supposedly good down to -12 deg c, again as insurance, even zipped up I woke a few times with cold spots, every time because I was off the thermarest, forgot to say I only wear shorts to sleep.

Whether I had'nt fitted the u/quilt properly (most likely) or the snugpack is inadequate at those temps is hard to say, more testing is required I guess.

Other ppl with the same quilt sleep warm, some too warm, so perhaps my setting up is more likely, they however only had hoochie tarps, so had them closed down, while I have a 3.5m sq silnylon which I left open. Shrug I'm thinking that windchill had a lot to do with it.

The second and third night the temps did'nt get much higher, perhaps 6 to 6.5 deg c, heavy rain,little wind 2nd night, both the third, however both nights I slept with the sleeping bag open and was still to hot.

I've made up my mind, I dont like the HH, I far prefer top entry hammocks, I'll go back to my DD (double skinned) hammock till my JRB Bridge gets here.

Stephen

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I've heard of a tarp being called a 'hoochie' (made me giggle at the time), but I've never heard of a 'hoochie tarp'. What is it?

Hammock
    DIY Bridge/DD Travel
    Tarp
    Kathmandu/Superfly
    Insulation
    Exped/DIY UB
    Hoochie is (I think) the Australian armys name for a tarp, its about the size of a poncho, I'll see if I can find a picture.

Stephen

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gailainne View Post
    I was hammocking at Loch Tay at the weekend, coldest night was the friday, temps got down to 5.5 deg c, 41 or so f, but there was a strong very cold wind off the Loch.

I was in a HH expedition with a snugpack under quilt, as this was the first time I've used the u/quilt with the HH I also brought and used a 38mm thermarest inside, unfortunately I brought the full size not the 3/4, even partially inflated it doesnt fit well, annoying more than anything else.

I used a Rab quantum endurance 600 sleeping bag which is supposedly good down to -12 deg c, again as insurance, even zipped up I woke a few times with cold spots, every time because I was off the thermarest, forgot to say I only wear shorts to sleep.

Whether I had'nt fitted the u/quilt properly (most likely) or the snugpack is inadequate at those temps is hard to say, more testing is required I guess.

Other ppl with the same quilt sleep warm, some too warm, so perhaps my setting up is more likely, they however only had hoochie tarps, so had them closed down, while I have a 3.5m sq silnylon which I left open. Shrug I'm thinking that windchill had a lot to do with it.

The second and third night the temps did'nt get much higher, perhaps 6 to 6.5 deg c, heavy rain,little wind 2nd night, both the third, however both nights I slept with the sleeping bag open and was still to hot.

I've made up my mind, I dont like the HH, I far prefer top entry hammocks, I'll go back to my DD (double skinned) hammock till my JRB Bridge gets here.

Stephen
    My Bridge should be here on Friday. Cant wait.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    DIY Bridge/DD Travel
    Tarp
    Kathmandu/Superfly
    Insulation
    Exped/DIY UB
    Make me jealous why dont you I aint gonna get mine till after Christmas

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I'm callin my tarp a 'hoochie' from now on! I like it.

FF- I know you're lookin forward to that hammock! I assume there will be a review shortly after receipt.

Images
    for ccf, locally you can also look at upholstry shops and fabric outlets, if they have it, it will be wide, and you can get as wide a piece as you need. my old winter ccf is 5/8" thick and 29" at the shoulders.

double bottom hammocks are what you want if using ccf. the good thing is, they really aren't much heavier. if you normally have a 1.9 oz ripstop hammock, just make it out of 2 layers of 1.1 oz. instead. it will be about an ounce heavier than the single 1.9 hammock, and is ccf is the lightest and cheapest way to go. like others have said, ccf can cause condensation and is bulky to carry around (especially if you're using a fatty for sub freezing weather).

i just tested my new torso length uq last night. it's got 10 oz/yd of xp, and kept me adequately warm (my back was barely cool). it was below 20* the whole night. 17* at 7am. i was wearing a marmot windshirt and using by down bag as a quilt.

i recently turned my down bag into a quilt. i grabbed the edges and shook the down in them down into the chest area. then i rolled the empty edges for about 7" or so and sewed about 6 loops by hand to hold them rolled up. now the quilt is a much more reasonable width (around 46") and the zipper is no longer exposed, and the quilt is now overstuffed from all the extra down that was being wasted in the edges. i love it, and it works great. and sleeping at 17* tells me having the sides properly tucked under me makes it pretty darn efficient as well.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    I'm callin my tarp a 'hoochie' from now on! I like it.

FF- I know you're lookin forward to that hammock! I assume there will be a review shortly after receipt.

i thought it just meant skimpy, like a girl wearing a skimpy shirt, "a hoochie" you know how those brits and scots have all that funny slang.

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345