WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    Big Mamajamba, Sil
    Insulation
    IX Hammock Sock
    Suspension
    WBBB Webbing

Unhappy My First Hang - Fairfield Lake SP

So, I took my HH Expedition Classic out to the Big Brown Creek Primitive Camping Area. The trail was very nice (3 miles in same 3 miles out), the site was very secluded, near a fishing dock and well maintained. Everything was great except the HH, I'm 5' 11", 198 lbs and for some reason could not get my legs comfortable in the HH, my legs would hurt behind my knees and the sides would push against my feet when I laid at the suggested diagonal, not sure if I did anything wrong with the set-up, but I set it up the same way as the video except I used the "Garda" set-up. Also, I am not very comfortable with the entry to the HH, it made it very difficult to adjust my bag and gear and the "lounge chair feature is so-so. So, I got up the next morning, ate breakfast, hiked back out and drove straight to REI and returned the HH. When I returned home I compared the length/width with other hammocks, then placed my order for a Warbonnet BlackBird 1.7 DL (I wish it was really black though; Olivebird). My reasoning is that I felt the HH was a bit too short for me, even though I am not quite 6', also I think I will like the side entry feature of the WB.http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...00001020196431

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DBL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Sleeping BearTQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Straps and Slings
    Images
    Well, you probably have alot more wiggle room in the bb, but you might still experience some of the knee soreness laying on your back. I have seen where folks put something under the back of the knees to eliminate that, or go to their side. Good luck with the new hammock.
    Last edited by Dblcorona; 10-24-2010 at 09:10.
    "We don't stop hiking because we grow old,
    we grow old because we stop hiking."

-- Finis Mitchell,

Hammock
    DEBATING eno and diy at the moment
    Tarp
    outdoor Research
    Insulation
    20° incubator :)
    Suspension
    straps/whoopies
    Images
    I had some of the same problems...took my hennessey back to rei too, I am very happy in my eno doublenest (for now, until I save up enough for a blackbird )

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Travel, Parachute
    Tarp
    Noah 12
    Insulation
    A work in progress
    Suspension
    noose
    I have noticed that my knees have hurt in the same fashion in the past. I think that my problem is that my hammock it too ridged and when I laid in I was bananaing and locking my knees. I have loosened it up a bit and can lay flatter and on occasion I have woke up with my knees bent.

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Hyper extension of the knee is an issue in most any hammock and it's exaggerated if the hammock is too short for you. For people near 6' and taller the Hennessy Explorer is a better choice than the Expedition. Of course it's hard to go wrong with a Blackbird.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    DIY 126 x 60 Tablecloth
    Tarp
    JRB 10 x 11
    Insulation
    New River/Owhyee
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    I am 5'11" 200 pounds and have spent MANY nights in a Hennessey Exped. What you experienced was not the hammocks fault but yours for not being informed; it is called hyperextension and I have never been in a mayan hammock that didn't cause this. Although I haven't been in all of them Sleeping on your side is a trick as well; you need to have your legs on the right position with something between your knees to adjust the angle of the hips, otherwise you will experience discomfort. Don't just automatically blame the hammock, I don't want you sending your Blackbird back as well.
    "I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds
    Mind of a Rat Youtube Channel

Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    Big Mamajamba, Sil
    Insulation
    IX Hammock Sock
    Suspension
    WBBB Webbing

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Hogn8r View Post
    I am 5'11" 200 pounds and have spent MANY nights in a Hennessey Exped. What you experienced was not the hammocks fault but yours for not being informed; it is called hyperextension and I have never been in a mayan hammock that didn't cause this. Although I haven't been in all of them Sleeping on your side is a trick as well; you need to have your legs on the right position with something between your knees to adjust the angle of the hips, otherwise you will experience discomfort. Don't just automatically blame the hammock, I don't want you sending your Blackbird back as well.
    No I did not mean to imply a fault in the hammock, I felt that the size was wrong for me and thought that a longer hammock would allow me to lay better, also I think I would prefer a side entry. It sounds like "hyper-extension" is very common and I admit that I was ignorant of it, but trying to learn as I go. Thanks for the reply

Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    Big Mamajamba, Sil
    Insulation
    IX Hammock Sock
    Suspension
    WBBB Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Knotty View Post
    Hyper extension of the knee is an issue in most any hammock and it's exaggerated if the hammock is too short for you. For people near 6' and taller the Hennessy Explorer is a better choice than the Expedition. Of course it's hard to go wrong with a Blackbird.
    Thanks Knotty. I thought about getting the Explorer, but they did not have them in the store and I've read so many good things about the BB and wanted to give it a try.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    Big Mamajamba, Sil
    Insulation
    IX Hammock Sock
    Suspension
    WBBB Webbing

Quote Originally Posted by slackmacker View Post
    I have noticed that my knees have hurt in the same fashion in the past. I think that my problem is that my hammock it too ridged and when I laid in I was bananaing and locking my knees. I have loosened it up a bit and can lay flatter and on occasion I have woke up with my knees bent.
    I was reading about that here in the forums and plan on some R&D here in the back yard when my BB gets in to limit the banana effect. Trial and error I guess.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    Big Mamajamba, Sil
    Insulation
    IX Hammock Sock
    Suspension
    WBBB Webbing

Quote Originally Posted by Dblcorona View Post
    Well, you probably have alot more wiggle room in the bb, but you might still experience some of the knee soreness laying on your back. I have seen where folks put something under the back of the knees to eliminate that, or go to their side. Good luck with the new hammock.
    Thanks DblCorona. That's what I ended up doing during the night, I rolled up my jacket and stuck it under my knees, which helped but I guess I need to experiment with the BB more than I did the HH to be better prepared.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast