Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle

KAQ DIY Kit, A learning curve!!!!!!

Several weeks ago I ordered two of the KAQ DIY kits from AHE. All items were shipped in a timely manner and it everything is included in the kit, including the thread!!!!!!!. I have been graced with a great partner in this endeavor, Mandydawn a fellow forum member and signifigant other. After laying one of the kits out and comparing it to my KAQ New River (see photo 1) we made a miraculous discovery!!!!!! We noticed that if we were to take the quilt and cut everything in half going down the long axis of the quilt we would have a full length quilt for her (she's only 5'2") and a 3/4 length quilt for me (I'm 6'1"). After much deliberation and many moments of second guessing we decided to make the Full Length UQ Kit into a customized full length and 3/4 length UQ's. Please Paul no nastygrams please!!!!!!!!!

Since this was a trial by fire on these quilts we did not make many photos of the process........more will follow as her quilt is built!!!!!!

After borrowing a thread injector from MOM and making many trial stuff sacks from Walmart drybags due to the fact that neither one of us had run a thread injector since 8th Grade Home Ec class, that would be about the time they cancelled Miami Vice from prime time. We also made many attempts to get the machine to run correctly but it took my Aunt, a 30 yr seamstress, to point out that we had the needle in backwards!!!!!!! This was causing numerous broken threads and moments of wanting to toss the machiine through the window while we were learning yet again how to inject thread.

After we get everythiing working we start the project.........It was a very thrilling, frustrating and enlightening experience to make our first DIY quilt. We both worked together, side by side and at times in unison with each other. After seeing how well the first quilt has turned out we look forward to completion of the second customized quilt out of this kit.

The second picture is one of the KAQ New River on a WBBB last weekend.

With no further ado we give you the fruits of our labors, the rest of the pictures will show the UQ at the starting stitch through to it hanging on the WBBB:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

Hammock
    MYOG 1.1 Double Layer
    Tarp
    DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY top & U Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Very nice. It looks like you have retained some skills from 8th grade home-ec

It looks like it fits the hammock very well with out any bunching on the ends.
    ???? Does this have darts? or is it just a flat quilt?
    Check out my website www.cwhammocks.com or Find me on the YouTubes
    You can even"Like" me on facebook or follow me on Twitter @cwhammocks

"In my world everyone is a pony, and they all eat rainbows, and poop butterflies."

DONATE TO THE GOAT ISLAND FIRE PIT FUND

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    Thank you for the compliments Chickenwing..............it is rectangular quilt that uses a cinch channel on the ends. The channel is made from 1 1/2" grosgrain ribbon which has the cord fed through it with a cord-loc to keep it cinched up. The suspension channels are made from the same grosgrain ribbon and have shock-cord fed through it, shock-cord comes in the kit, which is attached to a Triangle Thingy on both ends of the hammock which also came from Paul at AHE.

Hammock
    MYOG 1.1 Double Layer
    Tarp
    DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY top & U Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Thanks for the info. My first attempt at diy kaq had darts on diagonal opposites. It was a bugger to put together. I am trying to decide if my next venture will have darts or not. Seeing yours makes me think I will try sans darts. What is the recommended temp rating for the version you have(custom mods not withstanding)?
    Check out my website www.cwhammocks.com or Find me on the YouTubes
    You can even"Like" me on facebook or follow me on Twitter @cwhammocks

"In my world everyone is a pony, and they all eat rainbows, and poop butterflies."

DONATE TO THE GOAT ISLAND FIRE PIT FUND

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by chickenwing View Post
    Thanks for the info. My first attempt at diy kaq had darts on diagonal opposites. It was a bugger to put together. I am trying to decide if my next venture will have darts or not. Seeing yours makes me think I will try sans darts. What is the recommended temp rating for the version you have(custom mods not withstanding)?
    That version of the KAQ was designed for the Henessey hammock...

Nice looking quilts! I was thinking I might pick up a kit! Looks great!
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbamaguy View Post
    Please Paul no nastygrams please!!!!!!!!!

You won't get any from me. They look great and the whole idea of the quilt kit is that you can create what ever is going to work best for you, no reason to stick to the established KAQ designs. Well done. Can't wait to see what else you do with them.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    Chickenwing:
    This quilt kit had the 6 oz Climashield HL in it and has similar loft to the original KAQ New River that I purchased. I have been able to take the KAQ NR to the low 30's with no issues. With that being said, I am a warm sleeper, this DIY kit should get the hanger to that temp as well. This one is 3/4 length on me so I will be carrying a footpad, as a supplement to my TQ.

John Sawyer:
    Thank you for the kind words..........I will recommend the kit to anyone who has a UQ or TQ project in mind. All the items are in the kit, its a great price and it allows for a DIYer the opportunity to customize the quilt to themselves and how they hang.

Paul:
    Thanks for another great product!!!!!! As soon as we get the other one built we will get the pics posted and a report. We have to hurry this week, signifigant other wants to hang in her "own" quilt at the MWL hang that is this weekend.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    Great job! That thing looks good on the hammock. I like the way the triangles give the UQ suspension the correct angle (but my opinion may be biased)

It won't end with these quilts. You are infected now with the diy bug.
    Last edited by hangnout; 10-25-2010 at 13:04.

Hammock
    Switchback 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE prototype hex
    Insulation
    Leighlo hi and low
    Suspension
    strap/ring buckle
    Thumbs up to both the New River (which I bought already done made ) and to the triangles. On my Switchback I find I don't need the triangles for the New River, but on Leigh's wonderful UQ the triangles are just what I needed. I made my own though as I don't have much room before the attached bug net on the SB angles up and away towards the spreader bars.
    The gene pool needs a life guard.

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    Thanks Hangnout..........yeah we had to quit last night or I would have never made in to work this morning!!!!!! I have been informed by my coworker at the house, Mandydawn, that we are not through with this and we need to find other DIY projects..........were both infected!!!!!!!!!!!

Millarky
    I found the same thing when I put the full length New River on the hammock I had to roll the triangle thingy up and pull the cords almost all the way tight to get the UQ to work.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast