Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.7
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Yeti + TL 1/4" CCF
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing

Blown Away on Gregory Bald (Almost Literally)

I had a first experience this weekend while celebrating my ladies 30th birthday on Gregory Bald in the Smoky Mountains. The campsite we stayed at is Sheep Pen Gap (#13) and is easily one my favorite sites. The only problem with it, is that winds come down off the bald and cut through the gap.

This weekend they were particularly nasty. I don't have any speed information, but it was enough that the foot and a half thick trees I was hanging from had some sway to them. Add in the fact that my tarp is made from material designed to catch winds and I was almost certain I would achieve lift off.

I was actually surprised everything held as well as it did. The tarp was a Warbonnet Big Mamajamba (Spinn UL) with the single brad dyneema that Warbonnet sells. I had the tarp connected to the trees using two small Figure 9s and cord locks (form the Hammock Forums store) on the guy-lines. I only had one failure and it was actually the Figure 9, the cord locks held perfectly.

Something I did notice though was the slackening of the guy-lines during high gusts would give enough slack in the guy line that when the wind died down and the guy-line was pulled back to tautness it would put a lot of pressure on the stakes. One time it even managed to work itself loose from the stake.

I can't really think of a way to fix this, but it was neat none the less.
    If there's two ways to take my comments, assume it's the lighter and funnier of the two.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    JRB Universal Tarp
    Insulation
    Thermarest Regulus
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by LyttleBryan View Post
    Something I did notice though was the slackening of the guy-lines during high gusts would give enough slack in the guy line that when the wind died down and the guy-line was pulled back to tautness it would put a lot of pressure on the stakes. One time it even managed to work itself loose from the stake.

I can't really think of a way to fix this, but it was neat none the less.
    Tarp tensioners would probably fix that. The tensioner would take up the slack on the leeward side during the gusts. The pull on the stakes would remain much more constant.

~Dan

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.7
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Yeti + TL 1/4" CCF
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyBoy2k View Post
    Tarp tensioners would probably fix that. The tensioner would take up the slack on the leeward side during the gusts. The pull on the stakes would remain much more constant.

~Dan
    Of the tarp tensioners I've used and seen, I honestly don't think they provide a strong enough tension to do anything other than get blown around in the wind too.
    If there's two ways to take my comments, assume it's the lighter and funnier of the two.

Banned
    Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben
    Insulation
    Cottage Down
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    if i'm really worried about the wind i simply try to put a heavy rock or log onto my stakes

• + New Posts