Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    Any world on who's hiking where/when for the weekend? I've got some ground dwelling friends who would like to make an appearance. It seems that Alexander to Juniper springs is a bit long for one day but too easy for two. My maps of the trail are kind of sketchy so I'm trying to find some alternatives. The goal is for them to hike all weekend but end up at Buck Lake with us Saturday night.

I'm still undecided about my plans. I'm more of a backpacker but I could definitely see myself driving up in the truck loaded for bear to do some car camping (chairs, coolers, turkey fryer, dutch ovens, firewood, etc). What are other folks planning?

Hammock
    BlackBird
    Tarp
    MacCat Delux
    Insulation
    HG 3/4 - UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    I'm heading North, back to the Suwannee this week. If it's not too cold, I'll hike from the Spirit of Suwannee Music camp to Twin Rivers State Forrest. leaving on Monday (Tuesday looks warmer). Have a new UQ, DIY stove and a hammock chair from Arrowhead Equip. can't wait to try out the new stuff.

I'll post a trip report if I think to take some pics.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by zukiguy View Post
    I'm still undecided about my plans. I'm more of a backpacker but I could definitely see myself driving up in the truck loaded for bear to do some car camping (chairs, coolers, turkey fryer, dutch ovens, firewood, etc). What are other folks planning?
    Until recently, I never car camped and it didn't sound very appealing to me being a backpacker, usually solo. However, I happened to be in Texas last month, just when they were having their hang and I said, "Why not?"

Well, I had the best time on many levels! First of all, I actually got to socialize with 40 of the great folks on this forum. The hands-on looks at the equipment, whether bought or homemade was invaluable.

And did I learn something about the difference in cooking at a car site versus a backcountry site! I showed up with my trusty alky stove and dehydrated food and they were making cherry cobbler in a cast iron dutch oven over a Swedish candle! That was the best cobbler I have ever eaten! See the attached picture of the burning log (Swedish candle) and the other one with the dutch oven on top of it.

I am now excited about any HF hang that I can get to. I still don't have a clue how to cook in cast iron cookware over an open fire, but maybe I'll learn eventually

Come and I think you will be as surprised as I was!

P.S. Did I mention FIRE? I learned that large fires go with car camping. I'm packing a load of firewood in the trunk of my car
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Switchback
    Tarp
    OES MacCat's
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Me, I'm planning on it being a long weekend, car camping with my kayak on top, Backpack loaded in case I plan to hike an overnight, and all my camping toys I can load.
    I also plan to bring half-a-pickup truck load of firewood. Campfires are the best time ever for me while out camping. Second to that... Yes I said 2nd to campfires is hanging in the hammock
    Looking forward to learning & sharing camping experiences with everyone. Should be a great turn-out, all types of people.
    and, don't tell anyone... My first hammock hang event

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe Zip
    Tarp
    HH HexFly
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ New River
    Suspension
    Rings w/Caribiner
    Quote Originally Posted by islander View Post
    Soon, I think we should begin a First Annual Florida Hang Planning thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by zukiguy View Post
    Mark, You get your thread injector? I already completed my walking sleeping bag, turned out pretty good. May have to put some shock cord in the foot end so it will at least close up some when in the hammock. Pictures to follow in the sleeping bag section..

Well, I am new to the whole camping thing considering its been 32 yrs since I slept outside. And that was in the beautiful part of the globe they call Southeast Asia. Camping to me over the last 30 yrs has been done in a camper of some sort. But sure looking forward to this new experience.

I plan on bringing a cooler, some easy fixin groceries, couple folding chairs and my sleepin gear. Anyone got any other thoughts, I am all ears.

Look forward to meeting everyone who shows up.

I agree with Islander. A thread with plans to come and what to bring would be something worth while since its less than a month away now. I will see if I can rustle some firewood as well.

Hammock
    TLD/Hammeck Breezy
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    HG/WL/pad
    Suspension
    webbing /CB
    [QUOTE=MAD777;375791].

I am now excited about any HF hang that I can get to. I still don't have a clue how to cook in cast iron cookware over an open fire, but maybe I'll learn eventually

Hey MAD777,
    How's that Lafuma chair working for you? Bet you were loving it on the car camp. As for dutch oven cooking...... beware it's addictive, just like the hammocks. Next thing you know you'll be buying dutch ovens, DO gear, and cooking up a storm. We use the anodized aluminum on the river, weighs a lot less. Nothing better than DO pizza & brownies in the wilderness !!!!!
    As a transplanted Floridian, I'm envious of your January hang. Sounds like you're going to have a great time.
    KJ

Hammock
    Custom Gathered End
    Tarp
    Macat Ultra,UGQ WD
    Insulation
    Incubator/Pea Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    I can cook in a dutch oven. How about I do my peach cobbler for Sat. night. And I can bring some wood too.
    Hootenanny Hang June 11-13, 2021
    Love many, trust few & always paddle your own canoe. American Proverb

Adventure is Calling... nolilearn.org

Hammock
    Switchback
    Tarp
    OES MacCat's
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cataraftgirl View Post
    "...As a transplanted Floridian, I'm envious of your January hang. Sounds like you're going to have a great time..."
    KJ
    I think you should consider a January Hang event vacation.

Quote Originally Posted by ldcakes View Post
    I can cook in a dutch oven. How about I do my peach cobbler for Sat. night. And I can bring some wood too.
    And I say anyone offering to cook something good from a Dutch Oven gets my vote. Thumbs-Up!
    Thats the kind of thing that makes an "Everyone" get-togethers worth going to. All the good Eats

Hammock
    Switchback
    Tarp
    OES MacCat's
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    NEW PLANNING THREAD STARTED HERE:

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=26264

Hammock
    DreamHammock Darien
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 12
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I'm going to try and attend as well, be sure to remember that hog hunting season runs the 20th thru the 23rd. So bring your blaze orange clothing.

• + New Posts
  • Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast