Thread: Glueing Cuben

Hammock
    HH clone
    Tarp
    Homemade

Glueing Cuben

Hi everyone,

Preparing for the small Cuben-tarp project, I have understood to use 3M 9485-tape.

But, I have not successfully found any information about which glue to use. Is there any earlier thread explaining this or is there someone that please can provide the info.

Thanks!

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Ironique,
    Funny you should ask ... I have posted more than you want to know on adhesives for cuben fiber here, and the work is on-going. However, the short version is that there are a number of urethane-based adhesives that can be used with cuben, and which make a bond that is stronger than the material itself. This varies with the type of cuben and the type of adhesive, of course, but you're pretty safe with any of them. 3M 9485 is one of these - an adhesive transfer tape, which is a way of spreading the adhesive thinly and evenly. There are others. Read up, and then ask for more information pertaining to your project. Let us know what type of cuben you are using and what you're making out of it.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Ironique (like that name),
    Will your "small tarp" have a seam where two pieces of cuben are joined? That is, is it going to be more than 54" in both directions? A glued or taped 1" seam will do it.

Hammock
    HH clone
    Tarp
    Homemade

Thanks

What a great forum.

Answered my questions.

Thanks again

/Sweden

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I have also been contemplating a cuben tarp but I am confused about the weight of the tape. I checked Quest Outfitter (link below) and they claim the 1/2" tape weighs 3.5 grams/yard. That is basically the same as 3/4" grossgrain!

They also sell 1" wide tape, which is what I would use on the ridgeline seam, so I guess that would weigh about twice as much. If I use the 1/2" around the perimeter edge to reinforce it, all that tape would add up to 2-1/4 ounces. Considering that my tarp material weighs only 4-1/2 ounces, that is a ridiculous ratio.

Does this make any sense to you seasoned cuben craftspeople?

I can actually make the tarp from Spinnaker for the same total weight (with rolled edges), and for half the price. Of course the only problem is that I can't find Spinnaker EXP anywhere right now.

Check the bottom of the page here ... http://www.questoutfitters.com/coated.html#CUBEN

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Mad777,
    Both of the tapes that Quest sells are just that - tapes. You have the weight of the adhesive and the weight of the tape material that has the adhesive coating. Both get applied to the cuben. Scotch cellophane tape and duct tape are similar in construction. One of the tapes that Quest sells is double-sided. I'm not sure about the weights listed - it may be that they weighed them without removing the paper backing, which is pretty heavy.

The 3M tapes I tested are "adhesive transfer". Only the sticky stuff gets applied to the cuben, so they are very, very light. Similarly, the glues - Hysol and Aquaseal - can be applied in thin layers, so they don't add much weight at all.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Thanks WV. I know there is a cuben DIY project in my future. Thanks to your very informative posts on the subject, that future will get here sooner!

• + New Posts