DIY Camo Cocoon
    Tarp
    Tricked out SWT
    Insulation
    DIY 4 layer IX
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    +1 on losing the triangles. I made mine at the start w/ triangles then when test hanging I quickly realized they were not needed on my hammock for a good seal and actually made things worse for me. I just have the UQ bungies looped over the gathered ball at each end of the hammock and that works good for me.

Hammock
    DIY Easy Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 12x10 Silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY Stuff
    Suspension
    Dyneema and a knot
    Works much better without triangle thingies. Tinkering a bit more for a warmer fetal position. Thanks for the help.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered and ENO DN
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe
    Insulation
    LeighLo UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Sorry if this question has been asked, this is a long thread and I didn't' read EVERY post.

For the shell, does it need to be breathable? Would it be ok for me to use coated ripstop? Does it matter at all?
    If you don't try due to fear of failure you've already failed due to fear.

Since were on the topic of questions that may already be asked. Any Hennessy sleepers how do you fit it for the asym lay? I'm a little confuzzled and this would be my first large project DIY...

Hammock
    It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaceCadet View Post
    Sorry if this question has been asked, this is a long thread and I didn't' read EVERY post.

For the shell, does it need to be breathable? Would it be ok for me to use coated ripstop? Does it matter at all?
    Yes or no. Insultex is breathable, but only very slightly. If you use non-breathable shell material, I'd recommend you do either a non-breathable layer against the hammock and breathable away from the hammock, or non-breathable on both sides.

In most circumstances, it's not advisable to do breathable against hammock and non-breathable on the other side. Body moisture gets into the insulation but cannot escape out the other side. Insultex is more forgiving in this area though - because it doesn't trap moisture the way down or climashield does - it's more hydrophobic.

Quote Originally Posted by Astrolope View Post
    Since were on the topic of questions that may already be asked. Any Hennessy sleepers how do you fit it for the asym lay? I'm a little confuzzled and this would be my first large project DIY...
    I sleep asymmetrically in my hammock with this underquilt w/o problems. If you want, what would be useful would be to make loops at the edge corresponding to your tie-outs, and run the tie-out through the loop. That would keep the underquilt in place very well.
    DIY Gear Supply - Your source for DIY outdoor gear.

Hammock
    DIY GE
    Tarp
    12'x9'
    Insulation
    DIY IX UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I have two questions about making one of these.

I think that I'd like to make a two layer version, so it's less bulky in warmer weather. Can I just make it with the bottom and middle layer, and then make the top layer separate and just place it on top of the other two when more warmth is needed? Or should I have some kind of buttons, or velcro to attach them to maintain the spacing?

I'm also planning on just putting the shell material on the outside. Would there be any issues with tacking the shell nylon to the bottom IX layer, and then doing the pleating as one whole piece?

Hammock
    DIY GE
    Tarp
    12'x9'
    Insulation
    DIY IX UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by lustreking View Post
    I have two questions about making one of these.
    I'm also planning on just putting the shell material on the outside. Would there be any issues with tacking the shell nylon to the bottom IX layer, and then doing the pleating as one whole piece?
    I decided to go for it, and this method turned out great.

I think that I'd like to make a two layer version, so it's less bulky in warmer weather. Can I just make it with the bottom and middle layer, and then make the top layer separate and just place it on top of the other two when more warmth is needed? Or should I have some kind of buttons, or velcro to attach them to maintain the spacing?
    I decided make a two layer with the optional top layer, and put grosgrain tabs on the corners like the Molly Mac IX underquilts appear to have. When I want both layers, I'll just clip them together with the really tiny (#0?) s-biners, and attach the suspension lines to those.

My question: On the two layer version, I rolled the nylon cover over the top side to cover the edges of the insultex (as well as to create a drawstring channel). On the top layer, I didn't think ahead far enough to make this layer a little larger to allow for a rolled hem. What should I do to finish the edges of the top layer? I was thinking maybe bias tape, that should be pretty light weight, right?
    Last edited by lustreking; 05-02-2011 at 08:21.

Hammock
    It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    My question: On the two layer version, I rolled the nylon cover over the top side to cover the edges of the insultex (as well as to create a drawstring channel). On the top layer, I didn't think ahead far enough to make this layer a little larger to allow for a rolled hem. What should I do to finish the edges of the top layer? I was thinking maybe bias tape, that should be pretty light weight, right?
    Yeah, bias tape would be light, and work well. You can make your own if you want, with some scrap ripstop. Just cut 2" (or whatever width seems right) strips at an angle (the bias), and sew the strips together for a long length of bias tape. Pre-made is less of a hassle, but it's not terribly hard to make your own. You can get bias tape makers (they help make the double fold part really easy) on Ebay for cheap.

In fact, you don't even need it to be bias tape. You can just cut straight strips of your scrap ripstop shell material and do the same thing. Bias tape is helpful on things with major curves. On something like this, it's not necessary that it be cut on the bias.
    DIY Gear Supply - Your source for DIY outdoor gear.

Hammock
    DIY GE
    Tarp
    12'x9'
    Insulation
    DIY IX UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by sclittlefield View Post
    Yeah, bias tape would be light, and work well. You can make your own if you want, with some scrap ripstop. Just cut 2" (or whatever width seems right) strips at an angle (the bias), and sew the strips together for a long length of bias tape. Pre-made is less of a hassle, but it's not terribly hard to make your own. You can get bias tape makers (they help make the double fold part really easy) on Ebay for cheap.

In fact, you don't even need it to be bias tape. You can just cut straight strips of your scrap ripstop shell material and do the same thing. Bias tape is helpful on things with major curves. On something like this, it's not necessary that it be cut on the bias.
    Yeah, I was thinking about using the bias tape because it was already folded, however, the bias tape at JoAnn's was 40% cotton, so I decided against it. I bought a roll of 7/8" polyester ribbon. I'll try folding that in half and pressing it before I sew it on.

Thanks for the plans! I can't wait to try it out the weekend.

Hammock
    Blackbird xlc
    Tarp
    kelty noah 12
    Insulation
    jarbridge UQ
    Suspension
    woopie slings
    Images
    Great read, but I am wondering would this be warmer than a DIY sleeping bag UQ??? I'm still a noob, and I'm trying to decide which way to go. Thks.

• + New Posts
  • Page 17 of 40 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast