DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by n1ck0l3man View Post
    I am horrible at sewing and I want to make an IX UQ as cheap and easily as possible. I sleep very cold. With that in mind I was thinking about buying a 2Q2Z Silnylon UQP and then inserting 3 to 4 layers of IX that has been velcro-ed together in such a manner that their would ample air space in between each sheet. Has anyone tried this? I am a new hanger and a new DIY. I figured this would make it more adjustable between seasons and easier to experiment with. Any advice? Your quilts look great guys!
    if you plan on using the underquilt protector to hold up the IX UQ my guess would be no

if you can find a way to hang it on it's own i don't see why it wouldn't work
    but it would need to be sewn to a point ... might get away without but not sure how
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    WBBB, DIY Double Layer
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    EE 20 / Phoenix20
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    So I finally finished my IX uq. I don't think I deviated much if at all from the directions on this thread. I have 3 layers of IX and an outer layer of 1.1 camo ripstop. However I'm curious as to what the "loft" on this thing should be. Mine seems really thin -- about 1/4" (maybe a bit more). Does this seem correct?

I haven't had a chance to test it yet so all could be just fine. Its not really cold enough here in TX yet anyway to tell if its working well or not.

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by cwford View Post
    So I finally finished my IX uq. I don't think I deviated much if at all from the directions on this thread. I have 3 layers of IX and an outer layer of 1.1 camo ripstop. However I'm curious as to what the "loft" on this thing should be. Mine seems really thin -- about 1/4" (maybe a bit more). Does this seem correct?

I haven't had a chance to test it yet so all could be just fine. Its not really cold enough here in TX yet anyway to tell if its working well or not.
    Loft is a by-product of down ..
    what you are talking about is "air gaps" in between the layers

from what i take of it the air gaps are not going to be very big you will not tell unless it is hanging on a hammock since IX does not Loft like Down will
    hang it on your hammock and you should tell then if there are air space in between the layers

Hammock
    It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cwford View Post
    However I'm curious as to what the "loft" on this thing should be. Mine seems really thin -- about 1/4" (maybe a bit more). Does this seem correct?

I'm not sure what it needs to be to work well, but mine is more like 1-1.5" or more with three layers. That's in the center, not the perimeter, of course.
    DIY Gear Supply - Your source for DIY outdoor gear.

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by sclittlefield View Post
    I'm not sure what it needs to be to work well, but mine is more like 1-1.5" or more with three layers. That's in the center, not the perimeter, of course.
    is that total or just in between each layer ?

i just ordered some IX from you today .... i'm going to make a 2 layer with a ripstop outer shell as my new summer UQ for temps 50F and above

Hammock
    WBBB, DIY Double Layer
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    EE 20 / Phoenix20
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    I realize its not technically "loft" in the same way that down or synthetic fill has loft. But in the sense of space between the inner layer and outer layer its the same thing. Maybe I should have used the term "dead air space".

I have hung the UQ in the house and there's nowhere near 1 - 1.5 inches of dead air space between the top and the bottom layers. Given that each layer is 42 inches wide after the darts are made, how is it possible to have that large of a difference? I understand that the darts turn the 2D shape into a 3D shape. It seems to me that if the final width is the same for all 3 then the shape is essentially the same for all 3. This would cause there to be little to no dead air space.

Where am I going wrong here?

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    20* zepplin/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    The dart in each layer makes like a scoop or cupped shape in the IX stopping it from laying completely flat. If the darts are staggered like Scott shows then the cupped shapes keep space between the layers. This should give the dead air space needed.

Now this is all in theory. I haven't made one for myself so I have no real clue.
    Yosemite Sam: Are you trying to make me look a fool?
    Bugs: You don't need me to make you look like a fool.
    Yosemite Sam: Yer deerrrnnn right I don't!

just order the makings for mine today, looking forward to trying it!

My UQ materials arrived today. Time to start sewing!
    Tim Bowman
    Burien, WA
    Hennessy Ultra-lite
    '08 WR250R PHTV (Primary Hammock Transporter Vehicle)

Finished my Underquilt & Stuff Sack

I finished my underquilt using the plans in this thread. I used 3 layers of Insultex. It was my first thread injector project (not counting hemming up a couple pairs of pants) using my Viking Husqvarna sewing machine that I purchased from a garage sale. It took about 4 hours to sew up. The hardest part was threading the shock cord.

Here's the finished product:

I used camo ripstop on the top and bottom and ironed the folded over Gross Grain to aid in stitching them to the underquilt.

While I was at it, I made a little stuff sack and it came out pretty nice.

The overall weight in the sack is 18.45 ounces which is quite acceptable for me.

Thanks to SCLittlefield for posting the plans and providing the encouragement to take on this project.
    Tim Bowman
    Burien, WA
    Hennessy Ultra-lite
    '08 WR250R PHTV (Primary Hammock Transporter Vehicle)

• + New Posts
  • Page 21 of 40 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast