Page 22 of 40 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    Clark NX 250
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Dutch
    Any ideas where I can get IX in Australia?

Hammock
    DIY Gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY big Rectangle
    Insulation
    DIY Kmart Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies & straps
    DISCLAIMER: I have never used an UQ. I have also never backpacked (yet). My DIY experience is one gathered end hammock ala Knotty's instructions.

Would it be worthwhile to have more layers of IX? I see that having 3 layers can get you into the 30's if everything is set right. Has anybody tried 5 layers?

My plan is to build the base 3 layer with draft tubes like Scum did, but with small draft tubes running the long way as well. Then build a completely separate 2 layer slightly smaller so that it nests inside the larger.

So essentially when used together, [starting on the outside] I would have ripstop, 3 layers of IX, ripstop, ripstop, 2 layers of IX, ripstop.

Ideally I could use both individually in warmer weather, and combined down to ??? deg in cold.

My concern is that there is a point of diminishing returns and adding all the weight wouldn't give back much in warmth. Also does having all the layers of ripstop cause issues?

I haven't quite figured it out yet, but I am thinking some sort of quick disconnect for the suspension on the 2 layer so it is out of the way when used in system.

Does this have merit? I may be out in left field on this!
    Thanks for any feedback.

Hammock
    DIY Easy Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 12x10 Silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY Stuff
    Suspension
    Dyneema and a knot
    I have 2 IX 3 layer UQs both built the same as the OP but with head and foot end draft tubes. I put one one top of the other, bottom UQ hung looser than the top UQ.

Works great for the back yard. Got down to 28f last night with a feels like 22f I was warm and toasty.

Too bulky for the trail. You can make a climashield or primaloft UQ and velcro it on to the top of the 3 layer IX. Or sew it in with one line of stitching and seam rip it off when the weather breaks.

How low temp are you trying to go?

Hammock
    DIY Gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY big Rectangle
    Insulation
    DIY Kmart Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies & straps
    Quote Originally Posted by BodhiKnight View Post
    I have 2 IX 3 layer UQs both built the same as the OP but with head and foot end draft tubes. I put one one top of the other, bottom UQ hung looser than the top UQ.

Works great for the back yard. Got down to 28f last night with a feels like 22f I was warm and toasty.

Too bulky for the trail. You can make a climashield or primaloft UQ and velcro it on to the top of the 3 layer IX. Or sew it in with one line of stitching and seam rip it off when the weather breaks.

How low temp are you trying to go?
    I don't have a specific temp goal in mind, but I want to be able to do winter camping. Until the last couple of weeks I had never been out below 50. Using a walmart blue pad I was comfortable in the hammock at 38 Thurs night.

It's now a personal challenge to see how low I can go. (without down - allergies)

Thanks for the feedback, some of the other insulators may be on the horizon, but for now I want to stick to IX. I will probably order the materials tonight. I am going to need two anyway in the spring, cause I want to take my son out with me.

Hammock
    DIY Easy Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 12x10 Silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY Stuff
    Suspension
    Dyneema and a knot
    [QUOTE=All Kinds;579267]DISCLAIMER: I have never used an UQ. I have also never backpacked (yet). My DIY experience is one gathered end hammock ala Knotty's instructions.

Would it be worthwhile to have more layers of IX? I see that having 3 layers can get you into the 30's if everything is set right. Has anybody tried 5 layers?

Its been done and it works.

My plan is to build the base 3 layer with draft tubes like Scum did, but with small draft tubes running the long way as well. Then build a completely separate 2 layer slightly smaller so that it nests inside the larger.

Draft tubes on the side will work.

So essentially when used together, [starting on the outside] I would have ripstop, 3 layers of IX, ripstop, ripstop, 2 layers of IX, ripstop.

Ideally I could use both individually in warmer weather, and combined down to ??? deg in cold.

Yepper.

My concern is that there is a point of diminishing returns and adding all the weight wouldn't give back much in warmth. Also does having all the layers of ripstop cause issues?

2 layers of ripstop isnt going to add much weight. Diminishing returns? 2 extra layers of IX is added warmth, no diminishing returns here.

I haven't quite figured it out yet, but I am thinking some sort of quick disconnect for the suspension on the 2 layer so it is out of the way when used in system.

Make your suspension the same for both UQs same lengths. Tie a knot in one of the prussics (so you have two loops, pass through the top for your top UQ and the bottom for the bottom UQ.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Would using 1/4" polyester batting between layers of IQ work for creating an airspace between the layers? Not sure of weight, but I would think you could cut the batting into strips, go around the perimeter of the IQ, and strips across the IQ, spaced far enough apart to keep the IQ layers from touching.

Hammock
    DIY Easy Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 12x10 Silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY Stuff
    Suspension
    Dyneema and a knot
    Quote Originally Posted by Moradiss View Post
    Would using 1/4" polyester batting between layers of IQ work for creating an airspace between the layers? Not sure of weight, but I would think you could cut the batting into strips, go around the perimeter of the IQ, and strips across the IQ, spaced far enough apart to keep the IQ layers from touching.
    With a differential cut and hanging it properly the batting in between is unnecessary.

Besides, Polyester batting would be too heavy/bulky.

Hammock
    WBBB Double 1.1
    Tarp
    HG cuben fiber
    Insulation
    40/20 HG jRB HR
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Hello,

I'm thinking of giving this a shot, and think I'm going to order from http://www.diygearsupply.com. On their site the Nylon is listed as either Calendared or Uncalendared. Will the Uncalendared Nylon work for an IX UQ?

Thanks,

KC

Hammock
    DIY Easy Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 12x10 Silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY Stuff
    Suspension
    Dyneema and a knot
    Yes it will. Have fun on you IX adventure.

Hammock
    WBBB Double 1.1
    Tarp
    HG cuben fiber
    Insulation
    40/20 HG jRB HR
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Is is better to have a shell (nylon) on the side that butts up against the hammocks bottom or can it just be the IX material?

KC

• + New Posts
  • Page 22 of 40 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast