an Epic Hammock Idea...

Here goes an epic idea...

what if I were to make a hammock out of Epic fabric? its denier is 30x50, so it is a little weaker then 1.9 oz length wise, and 1.1 oz width wise. I got this idea from the PBP podcast, the interview with MLD. That is what they use for their hammock, but I cannot find it in their site (the shop is malfunctioning).

since Epic is usually polyester, it will not stretch as much, and each thread is bathed in silicone. The threads will be stronger then the uncoated/ DWR in the 1.9 oz RSN that we use. It should hold fairly well, and it is 1.7 oz.

I am going to try and get samples from as many places as possible, and see if I can find one that is more breathable/ waterproof then the rest.

if it does prove good, I would try and order wholesale, because it is quite cheaper per linear yard (~$3 at OWF). I would only need about 3 yards, so there would be anyone else would would want a 1 layer WP/B?

the bad news is that is around $10 /yd, but I am going to see if I can barter it down a bit.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    I have been entertaining the idea of making a hammock from the Momentum90. Although the fabric is .95 oz per sq. yard it looks thicker and stronger than most 1.1 oz rip stop I have seen, closer to 1.9 oz in look and feel. The cost (12.00 a yard) has been the only thing stopping me.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

momentum90 is a 20x20 denier, so it would be more stretchy and weaker then 1.1 oz RSN, but the same as the Epic, its coating and production may make it much stronger then it looks. I wouldnt, because it would be too expensive to risk.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by skar578 View Post
    Here goes an epic idea...

what if I were to make a hammock out of Epic fabric? its denier is 30x50, so it is a little weaker then 1.9 oz length wise, and 1.1 oz width wise. I got this idea from the PBP podcast, the interview with MLD. That is what they use for their hammock, but I cannot find it in their site (the shop is malfunctioning).

since Epic is usually polyester, it will not stretch as much, and each thread is bathed in silicone. The threads will be stronger then the uncoated/ DWR in the 1.9 oz RSN that we use. It should hold fairly well, and it is 1.7 oz.

I am going to try and get samples from as many places as possible, and see if I can find one that is more breathable/ waterproof then the rest.

if it does prove good, I would try and order wholesale, because it is quite cheaper per linear yard (~$3 at OWF). I would only need about 3 yards, so there would be anyone else would would want a 1 layer WP/B?

the bad news is that is around $10 /yd, but I am going to see if I can barter it down a bit.
    sure, I can imagine uses for a few yards of Epic. OWF posts 20 yards as the threshold for getting the wholesale price.

Grizz

yea, $200 is a little steep, but we can see.

I realized something while writing an email to owf, what is the point?

what is the point of making a very expensive hammock out of materials, when I could just use 1.9 oz RSN and save a bunch of money. The epic would have a better use as a hammock sock, or even the outer layer of a quilt.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    The conundrum of cost vs. benefit of using an expensive light-weight fabric like this is a hard choice. The only real advantage is weight savings. If Momentum90 would work well for a hammock body, it would be almost 1/2 the weight of 1.9oz fabric. That's probably a weight savings of 8-6 oz or more for the hammock body. The down side is having to worry about damage or failure of fabric. If a Momentum90 hammock ripped and dropped me on my pride, not only would you have the pain of hitting the ground, you would also have that pain in your wallet.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by skar578 View Post
    I realized something while writing an email to owf, what is the point?

what is the point of making a very expensive hammock out of materials, when I could just use 1.9 oz RSN and save a bunch of money. The epic would have a better use as a hammock sock, or even the outer layer of a quilt.
    that's exactly right. The use I'd make of Epic is where it's B/WP properties add value, e.g. as part of an under and/or overcover.

Grizz

Images
    i feel like there is also a comfort trade off as well. i don't know about the momentum 90, because i haven't tried it, but the way it is with regular 1.1, i can tell a difference. 1.1 is not as strong so it stretches more, and my but hangs lower, causing decreased flatness, and also, more stretch causes more shoulder squeeze. the price is about 4.5 oz (1.1vs1.9). for me, comfort is the main reason i go with a 1.9, but 1.9 just seems alot more durable and dependable. it will probably last longer as well.

epic is from 1.7 to 2.2 oz. i will see after samples arrive

• + New Posts