hh explorer asym zip 7ft
    Tarp
    hh
    Insulation
    my dog
    Suspension
    hh at this point

Bunji Hanging?

not sure if this would work or not, but....could you actually replace your main hanging wire with a very tough bunji type wire that would let you hang more like a shock absorber where your body would be less stressed in the hammock? possibly making it even more comfortable than it already is? could this even work, i wonder?
    defcon 4

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SNIPERFX View Post
    not sure if this would work or not, but....could you actually replace your main hanging wire with a very tough bunji type wire that would let you hang more like a shock absorber where your body would be less stressed in the hammock? possibly making it even more comfortable than it already is? could this even work, i wonder?
    Try it, take pictures, report back.

Not sure adding elasticity to the hammock support would be a good thing or a bad thing. I've always assumed the later and never tried it, but somebody should.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    hh explorer asym zip 7ft
    Tarp
    hh
    Insulation
    my dog
    Suspension
    hh at this point
    i would think it would have to be very slight in the give department..are there any engineers on the boards that might be able to give some insight? if nothing else you could have a really powerful slingshot...llololol
    defcon 4

Hammock
    Superior Gear
    Tarp
    Superior Gear
    Insulation
    Down
    This sounds like a great experiment. It would take some rather big bungee cords or Multiple wraps of smaller cords but I could work. Would love to see a video. I figure if it works it will make a fun video to watch and if it fails it will make a fun video to watch. I think you would have to either string it up rather tight or quite high or both. Dont see any way this could be a light option but not everything has to be light. I hope you try this and let us know the results. I do think it could work but I dont know that it would add comfort but the only way to know is to try. Could even try just using a bungee on one end just to see how it would act. Hmmm now you have me thinking. Could even try a shorter bungee set up added to your suspension sort of like a shock absorber. I wonder is a bungee set up would stretch like webbing does or would it hold its position under pressure. In other words when you move will it return to the same position each time or would it return only part way to where it was before you moved? I better stop now. My brain is going into overload for an experiment I cant try out.
    Pete.
    The opinions expressed by this user are not those of a competent individual. If they were that would mean I know what I am talking about.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SNIPERFX View Post
    ..are there any engineers on the boards that might be able to give some insight?
    We have a rule here, NEVER summon the mathathletes.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    We have a rule here, NEVER summon the mathathletes.

But mathletes need love too

I don't think a bungee system would would work.

The bungee would need to be huge and thus heavy. I'm thinking at least 3/4" bungee would be needed to support 200-250 lbs safely.
    As it stretched, it would alter the hang and lower the hammock. Lowering the hammock would expose the occupant to the elements, unless its a big winter style tarp.
    It would encourage bouncing in the hammock, stressing the rest of the system (fabric and suspension).
    My kids would use it to launch each other across the yard.

I've seen large coil springs on some of the hammock chairs. They compress with the load, but have a point at which they stop.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    DIY 126 x 60 Tablecloth
    Tarp
    JRB 10 x 11
    Insulation
    New River/Owhyee
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Plus, the only stress it would alleviate is dynamic stress like entering, or rolling over, while in the hammock. While stationary it will still be supporting all your weight so there would not be any stress relieving going on.

But don't let that stop you, go ahead and tie one up and see what happens!
    HTSL! Hammock Tensioning Suspension Lines!
    "I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds
    Mind of a Rat Youtube Channel

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    Noah 9
    Insulation
    3S Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    this probably goes without saying, but don't use the factory hooks on bungee cords (if you decide to go that route). A buddy of mine put too much tension on one while loading his truck, broke the hook, and ended up on his back in a dark room for 2 months (the broken hook whipped back and hit him in the eye) >.< not pretty
    I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I have not lived.
    -Henry David Thoreau

Hammock
    hh explorer asym zip 7ft
    Tarp
    hh
    Insulation
    my dog
    Suspension
    hh at this point
    maybe not even bunji cord, but those black tie downs with steel hooks type thing... also maybe use them as straps around the trees...rubber being kinda sticky might make it easier to keep snug around the trees with less slippage..

DO YOU SEE WHAT YOU GUYS HAVE DONE TO ME????? SEE??? I HOPE YOU ARE HAPPY NOW???????
    defcon 4

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    8x10 made by me
    Insulation
    JRB winter UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel Whoopies
    Most suspensions out there are designed to eliminate stretch. I don't understand what problem is trying to be solved by adding stretch.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast