A little while back I had posted a question about people's thoughts on the ring choices between SMC and hardware store and it affirmed my thoughts that I'd be making my own hardware as neither really had my goals in mind when they were created.
So I figured if you had a small pulley to run your support line around the perimeter and cut a slot in the middle to run your webbing through you would no longer be limited by the tensile limits of your ring but now the compression limits. Then if you wanted to get fancy you could have the line go through a mini belay device(a strip with two holes in it) and then tie it off.
I headed for the shop this morning and figured I'd change some stuff around on the test parts, ditch the belay style tie off and opt for a cinch hoist style(75% strength) with an exploding knot, and two slots so I could run the webbing through backpack style and not have to sew anything.
Long story short I should have sewed, after making everything I did a FEA and because of the two slots, the part is in shear rather than compression which limits it to 1600 lbs, good but I'd prefer slightly higher. Next week I'm going to cut a set with one slot and a set with three slots(but non recessed bars, 2400lbs).
Anything you guys would change? I'll get my boss to anodize them too.
Other stats are .4 oz a piece(same as a single smc ring or hardware store ring but I think I can make it even lighter), 6 min. to cut(due to long drill cycles), and they held fine with both my girlfriend and I (350-ish)
Depending on how the final version goes, anybody interested?
http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery.../8/webring.JPG