Tarp
    guidegear camo 12'
    Insulation
    garlington style
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images

New Hardware v1.0(the oops)

A little while back I had posted a question about people's thoughts on the ring choices between SMC and hardware store and it affirmed my thoughts that I'd be making my own hardware as neither really had my goals in mind when they were created.
    So I figured if you had a small pulley to run your support line around the perimeter and cut a slot in the middle to run your webbing through you would no longer be limited by the tensile limits of your ring but now the compression limits. Then if you wanted to get fancy you could have the line go through a mini belay device(a strip with two holes in it) and then tie it off.
    I headed for the shop this morning and figured I'd change some stuff around on the test parts, ditch the belay style tie off and opt for a cinch hoist style(75% strength) with an exploding knot, and two slots so I could run the webbing through backpack style and not have to sew anything.
    Long story short I should have sewed, after making everything I did a FEA and because of the two slots, the part is in shear rather than compression which limits it to 1600 lbs, good but I'd prefer slightly higher. Next week I'm going to cut a set with one slot and a set with three slots(but non recessed bars, 2400lbs).
    Anything you guys would change? I'll get my boss to anodize them too.
    Other stats are .4 oz a piece(same as a single smc ring or hardware store ring but I think I can make it even lighter), 6 min. to cut(due to long drill cycles), and they held fine with both my girlfriend and I (350-ish)
    Depending on how the final version goes, anybody interested?
    http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery.../8/webring.JPG
    "nickels and dimes, yours and mine, did you cash in on your dreams? You don't dream for me no" Third Eye Blind

Images
    looks like a cool design, the webbing is adjustable right?

Hammock
    DIY parallelogram/speer
    Tarp
    guidegear camo 12'
    Insulation
    garlington style
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    I was planning on just having the line adjustable via an exploding knot but I suppose you could go the other way too with the multiple slots for the webbing.
    Last edited by nickelanddime; 11-24-2007 at 01:12. Reason: sleepy typing jibberish
    "nickels and dimes, yours and mine, did you cash in on your dreams? You don't dream for me no" Third Eye Blind

Images
    very interesting design!
    It just opens up the infinite possibilities.
    It's hard to tell from the photo, but did you consider making the circum. groove a bit deeper? It seems it would shave a little weight (always good ) and perhaps give the user a little more assurance the line won't come out.
    If you are using the line for adjustment, the only concern I'd have (thinking visually, hypothetically, etc....) is being able to tension it. Any thoughts on having some sort of 'tieoff', hook, etc. extending out to accomplish this?
    I think in the figure nine thread we came up with the female symbol (cross with circle) as a possibility. Anyway, just thinking out loud, it kind of opened up even more gates on the roll your own hardware concept.
    Scott

"Man is a stream whose source is hidden."
    RWE

Hammock
    DIY parallelogram/speer
    Tarp
    guidegear camo 12'
    Insulation
    garlington style
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    As far as the groove goes, I was going to make it deep enough to completely hide the line but the more I thought about it the more I realized I didn't really need it(that deep) and I didn't want to run the key cutter that deep, if I was turning a groove in it I don't think it'd bug me any but that would mean another setup.
    For the tieoff I was thinking of first having a little projection off the pulley to keep the line in on center(so it won't want to twist up or down), then after the the line wraps around the back side I'd have it hop out of the groove and wrap around a miniature sailing cleat... I was thinking of the cleat because I'm pretty sure people would prefer that to the way I usually just pull it tight then throw in an exploding knot.
    I'm writing the updated program now, hopefully I'll have some pics tonight
    ***6:22 after playing around with the program for an hour and using up all my spare time I realized that if I had just made the little belay device style part I wouldn't need to change anything(or worry about how to make the little nubs strong enough)... just make the ends of the belay device a little longer so that it could be wrapped like a cleat. As for the holes, only have one hole and have the other as a slot so that you don't have to thread the extra line just slide it into place after it has gone around the pulley then wrap like a cleat from there***
    Last edited by nickelanddime; 11-24-2007 at 18:28. Reason: clarification

Hammock
    Trecklight Double
    Tarp
    JRB 11' x 10' Cat
    Insulation
    U.S. Poncho Liners
    Images
    Got a thought for another model type. Make the whole thing so it screws together from two pieces so that it would fit in the end loop of the hammocks and then you could just run the webing adjuster from that. might not have to use two part but maybe a little bit larger diameter with a higher profile. JAI

Great idea man!

Hammock
    DIY parallelogram/speer
    Tarp
    guidegear camo 12'
    Insulation
    garlington style
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    I'm a really visual person and I'm having a little trouble understanding from the description... could you draw a pic?

I really didn't want to adjust the webbing at all just have the pulley as a replacement for the garda hitch without putting a knot in the webbing...

here are the pics of a cardboard mockup of the belay device/cleat... once the extra is threaded through the slot and you start wrapping it like a cleat the support end will pull it down on the pulley like a belay device pulls down on a 'biner
    [IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]

Images
    did you ever see that piece from the fig nine thread that was an adjustable webbing buckle with an anchor hook sticking out the side. you could adjust the webbing and you could also quick hitch the little hook with your line. it weighed 10g. i can't remember who made it though or what page it was on. maybe somebody remembers.

Hammock
    Homemade 1.9oz
    Tarp
    Homemade cuben
    Insulation
    Homemade synthetic
    Suspension
    Strap-biner-buckle
    Images
    It was andersj:

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ersj#post28343

I copied his design for a pair of buckles of my own. I've only living room tested on my hammock, but I'm very happy so far:

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=2357

I did a test with my car on the strength and I broke my 2.8 mm Spyderline without damaging the buckle:

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=2362

Hammock
    DIY parallelogram/speer
    Tarp
    guidegear camo 12'
    Insulation
    garlington style
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images

Oh Well

Yeah, I had seen those... I was just so set on putting the adjuster in compression rather than tension in hopes of using less material and making it lighter... but the pulley has to be big enough for the webbing to go through and that seems to ruin the whole deal. I suppose you could connect the webbing to some smaller line and then run that through a VERY small pulley, but then I'm putting a knot in the webbing that I was trying to avoid.
    I just now had a small stroke/epiphany while I was thinking of the trade offs... and when the fog cleared I was thinking of that aluminum hex stock that I think Dutch had drilled 3 holes in... if you orient it like the byer adjusters and run a loop of line from the webbing in the two outside holes then run the support line through the center hole you could then take the extra and tie it off like a sailing cleat... no knots... you could even do away with the center hole so you don't have to thread it just wrap it over the top.
    This makes me more sad than I was before, I was looking forward to making super complex stuff... sure and simple wins the day again I guess

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast