WBBB 1.7 dbl & XLC
    Tarp
    Big MJ & Superfly
    Insulation
    Yeti & 2 Wookies
    Suspension
    Stock straps
    Images
    Can't stand waiting for trip reports/ pic's. Am sure they are all safe, somewhat cooled down by now, and are having an outstanding experience. Memories are forever.

Images
    Really looking forward to Mondays trip reports coming in.
    I hope some were able to keep their camera batteries warm.

After looking at shug's weather report I wonder if this will be a record for coldest HF.net hang?

Hammock
    diy fiddle factor
    Tarp
    diy cat cut hex
    Insulation
    whatever
    Suspension
    openable whoopies
    Images
    we all made it out all right with all our fingers ,toes and ear tips.it did get down to minus------something.tune in to trip reports.....just got home myself.
    diyin to hang

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Well .... wasn't a group hang but HF member kwpapke and I did a -26º hang!
    It was a fun challenge...... here is the video: http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/v...ils&videoid=59

S-s-s-shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Lite Owl, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Awesome Trip!

Before I start I just want to put out a huge thanks to fourdog for doing such a great job hosting this event for us! He acted as our guide and brought lots of extra gear and his knowledge and expertise camping in these conditions was most impressive. I learned a LOT from him. He's done many trips in these conditions and even COLDER and it was real interesting hearing from his past experience in what works and doesn't work so well. Camping in these conditions is so much different than your typical three season conditions. I will definitely be retooling my rig next time I venture out in these conditions. It was fun going around and checking out everyone's rigs and seeing lots of different setups bouncing ideas around.

Night one was about -8F and night two was -15F.

Things learned with some personal thoughts...

1. The pulk is an absolute necessity in my opinion in doing trips in these temps. I won't do another winter trip without it. My pulk worked great.
    2. It may be stating the obvious but the ultralight concept just isn't a viable option in these conditions. I can't imagine anyone being able to go out with an uber-light pack on their back and expect to have a safe and enjoyable experience. You need LOTS of insulation...especially if you are going to spend more than one night out.
    3. Frost is unavoidable. You cannot eliminate it but as fourdog says...you have to learn to manage it. If you get a lot of frost on your quilts after the first night and can't dry it out properly your down insulation will not work as well for you on night two.
    4. As much as I like the two quilt concept for three season (underquilt/top quilt combo I came away impressed by the peapod style quilt system after seeing a few rigs set-up that way. Not to say that the traditional underquilt/top quilt combo system doesn't work, it obviously can and does however from what I saw the full wraparound style quilt is whole lot more foolproof and much less hassle to keep you consistently warm than than having to squirm around doing the tuck. A zip up mummy bag would work too but unless it has a top zip it still has more fiddle factor than a full wraparound quilt. I'd like to see some of the other quilt manufacturers come out with wider quilts that allow for a complete wraparound enclosure with lots of loft and maybe with a zipper on top.

For my rig...less than ideal but it got me through both nights just barely I used:
    Warbonnet Traveler Hammock
    Under insulation:
    Yeti 3 season underquilt with a JRB Hudson River overlapped.
    Ridgerest pad in between the hammock layers
    Dri Ducks poncho on the outside.
    Top Insulation:
    10F Synthetic mummy bag with a broken zipper used as a top quilt.
    JRB Old Ragmountain top quilt with the footbox stuffed inside the mummy bag for double footbox insulation...very effective BTW!
    Lots of extra clothes!
    MacCat Deluxe Tarp with 2Q/ZQ doors.
    Built up snow walls around the tarp to eliminate drafts.

It was great meeting everyone. Many traveled long distances to attend this event. MacEntyre drove all the way from North Carolina...WHOA!!!!!!

Some may call it cheating but it was real nice of fourdog's friend Paul to bring his big Cabelas tent complete with stove heating and two cots just in case anyone had problems sleeping in these challenging conditions. It was also a nice place to go to warm up once in awhile, melt snow, heat water cook, etc.

The big parachute pitched up over the main campfire area was a neat idea although it did get a bit smokey under there at times! Fourdog's demo of the super shelter (hammock enclosed inside reflective tarp and poly plastic on all sides creating a dome with a parallel fire in front) was really neat. With below zero temps outside it got up to 40 degrees inside the hammock shelter and no smoke blowing in. A few people shot video of this and I am sure it will get posted.

All in all I think I can speak for everyone that we had an absolute blast. It was nice to see everyone pitch in making extra trips with their pulks to help fourdog and Paul haul out all of the extra gear they brought so everyone could leave at the same time today.

I'd like to see this become an annual event. I would attend again without question and with all of the knowledge I learned I plan to do more winter camping in the future but not at these temps unless it were with a group like we had here.

Be patient waiting for more trip reviews. Some won't be back for a couple days. I was one of the fortunate ones to only live a couple hours away from the event's location. I'll post some pics but probably not until tomorrow as I'm pretty beat and have to work tomorrow bright and early.

Hammock
    Lite Owl, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Here are my photos. Just signed up for Flickr, let me know if the link works...as I'm new to it. http://www.flickr.com/photos/15255236@N07/

Hammock
    DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Great trip report Pizza. I'm glad you all had a great time and stayed safe. Four dog sounds like a necessity to have a long while winter camping. I especially liked the heated tent idea, especially with how cold it was. Glad you all had a great time and I can't wait to camp with everyone on the next Mn trip.

Fronkey

Hammock
    DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Also, great pictures man. I laughed when I saw the heated tent. I can't believe you guys brought a heater out there like that. That is awesome!

Fronkey

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat
    Insulation
    3/4
    Suspension
    Strap Cinch buckle
    Very nice trip report and pics glad everyone one had fun and left with memories and all there toes.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & down bag
    Great first report. Glad all made it in good condition. I'm looking forward to learning how to deal with winter camping conditions. I know I need more gear and correct clothing. FourDog was a great teacher at the last northern hang. I sure his advice on this one was taken in by all.

• + New Posts
  • Page 37 of 41 FirstFirst ... 273536373839 ... LastLast