Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Here's a revised update (#10):

Place: TBD but likely Nemadji State Forest, Minnesota
    Dates: January 7-9
    Weather: ??? but likely COLD!

Attendees: I hope I have this right, but if not, please PM me or post in this thread!!
    "YES"
    Beep
    Fourdog (has pickup truck)
    Stairguy
    MacEntyre
    Hooplehead
    Lonely Raven
    Firekeeper
    Lonetracker (has pickup truck)
    Snipen (has pickup truck)

"Maybe"
    Sir Nothing
    Shug
    Beast 71
    Hanging Yankee
    Canoedad
    Stormcrow
    Fin
    Pizza

Vicarious Watchers and Not Yet Ready for Cold Time
    Root Cause
    tbctx
    Animal Control
    Wildcrafter
    GrizzlyAdams (from Hawaii!!)
    Keys?
    Last edited by beep; 12-06-2010 at 08:58.
    "The more I carry the happier I am in camp; the less I carry the happier I am getting there" - Sgt. Rock

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    100% Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Snipen View Post
    That would incredible. My main area of concern is my underquilt as all I have is my 3 season crowsnest...
    So if there is enough insulation coming to share I should be able to make it for all three days then.
    If I am able to go I might know someone that can bring you a winter Incubator to try... I am looking forward to seeing some of the original gang again.

We are going to miss you Keys!

~Stormcrow
    Owner/Founder at Hammockgear.com - Hammock Camping Outfitters
    Home of the Burrow, the Incubator, and the Phoenix

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    The Edge
    Insulation
    Incubator UQ, TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie, biner
    Images
    I wonder if skipping a family christmas event would put me on the naughty list?

I missed quite a bit over the summer, better not push my luck I will miss you too Stormcrow

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    The Edge
    Insulation
    Incubator UQ, TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie, biner
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stairguy View Post
    Hope not to gross anyone out on this trip,but I generally plug one nostril w/finger, aim as best i can and blow the runny fluid to the snow. Naturally I then relieve the other nostril in the same manner.
    Lol! There's another way to do this?!!!

Hammock
    BIAS
    Tarp
    Hammockgear cuban
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    No Adam its too much temptation. I'm still trying to save up to get a burrow.

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    MAJOR UPDATE

I am happy to report that Fourdog and I had a successful scouting trip yesterday, December 4, 2010 and have identified a great spot for our Frozen Butt Hang site. It is indicated on the attached map of the Nemadji State Forest by a red five-pointed star. The "base camp" for this trip is about 1/2 mile from the trail head over a wide, level trail The trail head is about 16 miles from our vehicle parking area (at the farm of Fourdog's friend, Todd). From Todd's farm, we will shuttle to the trail head. The road to the trail head is plowed more-or-less regularly, but even so, safety requires a four wheel drive pickup, truck tires, etc. (Attendees who have such a vehicle are encouraged to volunteer! ) We still had some shovel work and pushing even with Fourdog's Ford F-350 4WD. We expect to have two or more such 4WD trucks for getting attendees to the trail head.

While exploring this area on foot, we saw tracks of fisher, marten, porcupine, deer and wolf. Moose are here as well, although we didn't see one. We saw eagles and one owl. This is untamed woods despite the presence of trails and some roads.

The map and some photos to whet your appetite are attached. FWIW, the moon phase is just past the new moon for this trip, so we won't have much moonlight to see by.

The "agenda" for the event as it now stands is as follows:

Friday, January 7, 2011 - Those whose schedule permits will meet at Tobie's Restaurant in Hinckley, MN at the intersection of Interstate Hwy 35 and Minnesota Hwy 48 in time for a 10:30AM group departure. We will caravan to Fourdog's friend's (Todd is his name) farm to drop vehicles, about a 45 minute drive north and east from Hinckley. From there, the truck shuttle to the trail head is about 16 miles (at 20 miles per hour or slower to keep vehicles on the road). If you want to meet earlier for breakfast/brunch at Tobie's, then plan accordingly to arrive earlier. Hinckley is about 1 1/2 hours north of the Twin Cities. For "late" arrivals, we'll need to make arrangements (maps, etc) to get you to the vehicle park and to shuttle you from there to the trail head. For safety's sake, if you don't have a 4WD pickup and some experience with deep snow and icy roads, do NOT plan to drive yourself to the trail head. We want everyone to have fun and a pleasant, memorable experience, not an unncessary struggle with the environment. Ski pulks, toboggans, or sleds are recommended for hauling your gear, but the 1/2 mile distance is short enough for you just pack it in if that's what you want to do. FWIW, 1/2 mile in deep snow is enough to get you quite warm, even sweaty if you are even a tiny bit overdressed.

Friday daylight (Sunrise: 7:53am, Sunset: 4:40pm) will be focused on setting up, gathering and splitting wood, organizing a fire area (with parachute canopy for shelter from snow and wind, pitching hammocks and a "hot tent" (large canvas tent with a wood-fired stove) for those who need a place to recover when gear or skills aren't quite up to dealing with deep cold. We'll get acquainted as well. Friday's evening meal will be a communal "chili pot" to which you are expected to bring your chili contribution. We'll combine chili and heat in one pot for all to enjoy. We'll need to figure out side dishes and/or dessert, and volunteer contributions or "specialties" are very welcome. Dutch oven cobbler anyone?

Saturday (Sunrise: 7:53am, Sunset: 4:41pm) will be a self-directed activities day. There are miles and miles of trails to explore. Within 1 mile of the hang site is a beaver dam and pond and about 1 1/2 miles away is a "virgin" cedar grove with some trees estimated at 300 years old. The terrain is mostly level, but snowshoes or cross-country skis suitable for untracked snow are pretty much necessary. Depending on what you want to do, some "bushwhacking" off-trail may be involved. FWIW, there was already about one foot of snow on the ground yesterday. If you want to hang out by the fire all day and read or visit with others, that's fine too. If you want to move your hammock gear further into the woods for Saturday night, that's fine. For now (subject to change) you'll be on your own for breakfasts, lunches, snacks and Saturday dinner meals. (Ideas welcomed for something interesting for communal dinner on Saturday) Your water supply will be melted snow, and Fourdog has a large 12 quart pot that will be used on the fire for shared water.

Sunday (Sunrise: 7:52am, Sunset: 4:42pm) after breakfast, we'll pack up and reverse the shuttle process to get folks back to their cars by mid-to-late morning (11 am ???).

A special thanks to Fourdog's friend, Todd, who grew up hunting, trapping, logging and guiding throughout the Nemadji Forest area. His intimate knowledge of the area is very impressive and we are grateful for his willingness to share that knowledge with us. We're hoping he'll join us and perhaps even sleep (for the first time) in a hammock!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by beep; 12-05-2010 at 17:50.
    "The more I carry the happier I am in camp; the less I carry the happier I am getting there" - Sgt. Rock

Hammock
    diy fiddle factor
    Tarp
    diy cat cut hex
    Insulation
    whatever
    Suspension
    openable whoopies
    Images
    thanks beep for that update and for all the work you are putting into making this hang work.and thankyou again and four dog for the site scouting.
    is there anything i or someone else can bring or do to help as regards to the communal tent/parachute canopy and its contents/setup/setting up/tools ....????
    i will be driving a 4x4 regular cab 8ft bed pickup and have plenty of ex. in snow covered back roads.so i could carry maybe myself and two more and allot of gear.
    i can not get your map to work.most likly my inept computer skills.do you have gps coordinates for the spot .i can put that in my computer and map the spot myself that way.as well as finding it if i get seperated in route.or show up late.also coordinates to the parking area would be helpful(spot we are shuttling from).
    one more thing is there cell phone coverage in the area?just incase someone was going to rely on calling someone allready there when they get close for finale directions.
    diyin to hang

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Wow, that looks like a wonderful place to visit! I can't wait!

I want to visit those cedars by snowshoe, and catch some wildlife on camera!

- MukEntyre
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    WarbonnetBlackbird
    Tarp
    Olive Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubat Dempsey TQ
    Suspension
    Stock Webbing
    Wow! I'm so very excited for this trip and to finally meet all of you!

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lonetracker View Post
    i can not get your map to work.most likly my inept computer skills.do you have gps coordinates for the spot .i can put that in my computer and map the spot myself that way.as well as finding it if i get seperated in route.or show up late.also coordinates to the parking area would be helpful(spot we are shuttling from).
    one more thing is there cell phone coverage in the area?just incase someone was going to rely on calling someone allready there when they get close for finale directions.
    1. There is no cell phone coverage in the hang site area. I'm not sure about the parking area, but I doubt it. This is really out in the country.
    2. These are APPROXIMATE longitude and latitude...
    Parking area (Todd's farm) - Latitude= 46°10'15.01"N, Longitude=92°21'0.81"W (UTM Zone 15, Easting 550162.02 m E, Northing 5113221.47 m N)
    Trailhead - Latitude= 46°17'16.60"N, Longitude= 92°24'21.14"W(UTM Zone 15, Easting 545765.43 m E, Northing 5126212.42 m N)
    Hang Site (approximate) - Latitude= 46°17'34.54"N, Longitude= 92°24'8.74"W (UTM Zone 15, Easting 546026.61 m E, Northing 5126768.26 m N)
    Last edited by beep; 12-05-2010 at 15:55.

• + New Posts
  • Page 20 of 41 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast