WarbonnetBlackbird
    Tarp
    Olive Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubat Dempsey TQ
    Suspension
    Stock Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by HanginTom View Post
    If only I could've learned those things that fast..
    I'm thinking the same thing!

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl & WB XLC
    Tarp
    OESMCD W/PMOD
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ, JRB HR TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies

UQ suspension slip/Raise your ridge line out of your face

Quote Originally Posted by lincolnstrong View Post
    loved the report, but i'm not sure i follow the part about the zipper pull/shock cord prussik around the UQ suspension... are you basically keeping the two suspension cords bound together closer to your head to keep the UQ snug around your shoulders (if that made any sense)? if so... genius... i have the same problem and never thought of doing that...
    UQ suspension slip
    A short loop of shock cord with a prusik knot works great. However, the zipper pull has a short loop of shock cord already attached to the zipper pull and is a bit easier to attach/detach with the suspension shock cord. Simply wrap the zipper pull shock cord around the doubled up suspension cord twice and then around the zipper pull to lock (a pseudo prusik).

Raise hammock ridge line out of your face.
    I also discovered that with the 2QZQ pole mod on my MacCat Deluxe tarp, I can tie my loose hammock ridge line to the grosgrain straps that holds the pole in place on the tarp ridge line. This keeps the ridge line out of my face when I am sitting (not laying) in my hammock.

I am sure both concepts have been discovered already, but it was a practical trail moment for me under the tutelage of Shug.

Wander'nFool
    Last edited by Wander'nFool; 10-27-2010 at 18:45.
    "It's a wanderful life."

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Treestrap
    Now that's what a call a trip report! Thanks Wander'nfool and Shug. That was most a excellent read.
    Terry

Hammock
    WL Light Owl/Dangerbird
    Tarp
    WBBMJ Spinn+doors
    Insulation
    HammockGear Down!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by KerMegan View Post
    Just don't name your dog "Bear"...
    might could cause a panic...
    KM (who has learned something today, YAY!)
    This is Bear and he LOVES to camp.

I read WFs post on the trip report forum and it made me JEALOUS. I've got to get a group of guys down here that I can get out with (or I could drive hours and hours to join others...).

It sounds like a wonderful trip with some great friends. Thanks for sharing!
    "One of the best things you can do in this world is take a nap in the woods." ~ Jayber Crow by Wendell Berry

"While it may be a lot of work, the view is best from the summit." ~ an anonymous staff member of Philmont Scout Ranch

Enjoy the day
    Shane

Senior Member mountain_man_mike's Avatar
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY CLIMASHIELD UQ
    Suspension
    DIY hugs & whoopie

Say it ain't so!

Wondering Fool-

"Mountain House meals taste better in the woods, than in your kitchen at home. Bring black pepper."

Please tell me you don't still do the boiling water into a pouch stuff...

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mountain_man_mike View Post
    Wondering Fool-

"Mountain House meals taste better in the woods, than in your kitchen at home. Bring black pepper."

Please tell me you don't still do the boiling water into a pouch stuff...
    Well ...... I too enjoy a Mountain House meal from time to time.
    I used to prepare meals backpacking more .... often still dehydrate my own.
    Getting out quick though I keep some on hand.

Curious as to what your eating style is?

Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Senior Member mountain_man_mike's Avatar
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY CLIMASHIELD UQ
    Suspension
    DIY hugs & whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Well ...... I too enjoy a Mountain House meal from time to time.
    I used to prepare meals backpacking more .... often still dehydrate my own.
    Getting out quick though I keep some on hand.

Curious as to what your eating style is?

Shug
    Hey Shug!
    I hope my passion for good food did not take over. I know the folks at Mountain House provide a high quality freeze dried meal, but being a foodie it's so hard to adjust. Hopefully my "say it ain't so" is not taken as judging anybody or condemming anything.

I usually have a spartan breakfast, albeit with hot coffee. IMHO Starbucks via rocks!

The meal I really enjoy is the evening meal, where I have real meat and vegetables in my dinner. I dry my food on cookie or baking sheets placed on a wire rack with a low speed fan blowing on them in my garage. If it's cold out I use the oven, setting the temp as low as it goes and prop open the door. Jerky is good like this, but I prefer the hot garage (Fresno in the summer is hot) with the fan. My favorites are rotini with meaty marinara, beef or chicken with beans and rice burritos, shepherds pie and another is creamy chicken ramen kicked up with chicken and veggies. I am working on a chicken & dumplings recipe and others as my taste buds direct me. A chocolate cake or apricot cobbler is a nice way to finish off the evening and there is always enough to share.

The wood stove is great for these as it allows the meat in particular to rehydrate completely and you have a meal as good as at home but since it's in the outdoors it tastes a lot better. I took Mark's design and modified it by cutting up a chicken stock can and a pie filling sized can. Mark makes reference to a Trader Joe's marinara can, but any can that size will do. I cut them with a dremel so that the smaller can interlocks into and on top of the larger chicken stock can. This allows for a larger stick fire and no inverted tent stakes to worry about. I fashion foil into a tent over the fire and can bake on it, so a chocolate birthday cake with raspberry glaze five days into a hike is possible. A couple of tabs serve as a stove holder for the alcohol stove but a small can of chilis cut just right works great too.

For weekend trips I usually carry one stove or the other but on longer treks I typically bring both and save on fuel. About 6 fl. oz. of alcohol is all that is needed for a week long trip if the wood stove is along for the ride. Part of that economy is that my hiking buddies usually have a cup or so of hot water in the morning so this consumption is almost 100% dedicated to dinner.

Great to hear from you Shug and keep those videos coming, I love them!

Mike

Hammock
    hennessy exped asym
    Images
    great trip report guys! I laughed about the dog, that'd freak me right out, I'd probably wind up tangled in my hammock!
    Debi

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe & ENO
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mountain_man_mike View Post
    The meal I really enjoy is the evening meal, where I have real meat and vegetables in my dinner. I dry my food on cookie or baking sheets placed on a wire rack with a low speed fan blowing on them in my garage. If it's cold out I use the oven, setting the temp as low as it goes and prop open the door. Jerky is good like this, but I prefer the hot garage (Fresno in the summer is hot) with the fan. My favorites are rotini with meaty marinara, beef or chicken with beans and rice burritos, shepherds pie and another is creamy chicken ramen kicked up with chicken and veggies. I am working on a chicken & dumplings recipe and others as my taste buds direct me. A chocolate cake or apricot cobbler is a nice way to finish off the evening and there is always enough to share.
    WOW!!!

Sounds like somebody eats well on the trail.

Mountain Man, you should start another thread with some of these techniques and recipes, or you could just pm them to me...

I would love to eat that well while hangin'!!!

Hammock
    WB Traveler 1.7 single
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH/strap
    Images

Chicken and Dumplings

mountain_man_mike,
    Here is my C&D trail recipe. It is a version of a common recipe found on the internet, but I added the dehyd veggies; corn, peas and/or carrots work well. Feel free to use any chicken you like. I will use a large can or a pouch, both of which are heavy; FD would substitute nicely but you will need to adjust the water. I make this in my 1.3L ti-ware pot. Serves 2 easily

Hope this helps.

Chicken & Dumplings
    2 envelopes Lipton's Cream of Chicken Cup-o-soup or 1 Maggi Cream of Chicken soup (Maggi is better but can be hard to find)
    1 can Swanson's Chunk Chicken Meat
    ˝ pkg Mixed freeze-dried vegetables
    1 cup Bisquick in a zip-lock bag
    2 - 3 cups Water

Mix the soup, chicken meat and vegetables in a relatively deep pot with 2 to 3 cups water. Place on camp stove. Heat to simmering, stirring occasionally. While soup stuff is heating, add water to Bisquick and knead in the zip-lock bag (see Bisquick box instructions for qty). When soup stuff is hot, tear off a corner of the bag and squeeze out plops of Bisquick into the pot. Cover and cook for about 10 mintues on low heat.

Bisquick Dumplings instructions(3 servings):
    2 cups Bisquick
    powdered milk for ˝ cup
    ˝ cup water
    Bisquick Dumplings instructions (4 servings):
    2˝ cups Bisquick
    powdered milk for 2/3 cup
    2/3 cup water
    Mix and transport dry ingredients in zip lock bag. Add water, seal bag and knead until thoroughly mixed; add water if needed. Cut bottom corner and plop into mix when ready.

Hope I have not hijacked the thread
    “Indian builds small fire and stays warm, white man builds big fire and stays warm collecting firewood”—unknown

“The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea”—Karen Blixen

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast