Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Homemade DIY Hennessy
    Tarp
    Homemade Speer

Big tarp for two

I finally finished the big tarp I was making. It's purpose if to cover my son's and my hammock at the same time. And, maybe even a second child. I bought the fabric at Walmart for $1.50 a yard. I had a hunch it might be silnylon. After water testing, I think it is. The design was very simple, a big square, 12ft X 12ft. The fabric came in 4 ft widths, so I sewed 3 12 foot sections together with a flat felled seam. Then I sewed grosgrain loops with a heavier fabric backing for the tie outs. After everything was sewn up, I sealed the seams with silicon, I think I might have been too liberal with it. This last Saturday I got a chance to test the waterproofness and see if it really was silnylon. If it wasn't, then I was going to siliconize the whole tarp. As you can see in the pictures, my kids had to help with the water test. The test consisted of setting up the tarp and then spraying the hose on it looking for leaks. The good news, no leaks. I don't have any good hammock trees in my yard, so had to resort to trekking poles. By the way, the poles are ski poles I bought at a thrift store for $5 a set. You can see the small set for my 8 yr old son, so he stops stealing mine.

The last picture shows the inside ridgeline. I put a loop on the pull outs and tied a 2mm dacron line on the inside to provide a little strength, and give me something to tie stuff to if I wanted. I will try and bring it in to work tomorrow to weigh. Sorry, no weight yet.

Also, since I had the camera out, and my tie out line, I figured I would take a picture.

Here is a picture of the top of the roll for the green line in the upper left of the picture.

Here is a picture of the writing on the small one on the bottom.

I emailed the manufacturer of the green line, and found it's breaking strength and what it was made out of. It is a combination of polyethylene and polypropylene, so no nylon. It also comes is a myriad of different colors. I think the next roll I buy will be bright yellow. I can't see the OD green in the daytime and run into it all the time. The tannish line in the upper right is 2mm dacron from the same company as the line on the bottom. It has a rated breaking strength of 200 lbs. Both of the two top lines are 2 mm and work great in the smallest figure 9's and those t-bone line tensioners. Also, I have made continual ridge lines with them both, and a prussiks holds amazingly well. I don't know where you can source them, I found them at a local store that doesn't sell online. The two large rolls on the top cost around $6.

I weighed the tarp and it is 24.5 oz.
    Last edited by finallyME; 10-28-2010 at 10:35.
    I have taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.

Hammock
    DIY FrankenBird + 5 other DIYs
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Ogee, etc.
    Insulation
    IX UQ & TQ +fleece
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Looks great!
    Did you do your edge hem by hand?
    "I keep telling myself that if I make perfect seams, nobody will believe that I made it... " -JohnSawyer

My outdoor gear review site http://gear-report.com
    Gear reviews, DIY / MYOG projects, Outdoor gear discounts, sales and coupons updated daily

Question- Wouldn't you want the breaking strength of your guyline to be less than the breaking strength of your tarp???

I think I saw that somewhere on this forum... that way the line will fail and not your tarp

Great gigantic tarp BTW!!!!!!!!

Hammock
    Homemade DIY Hennessy
    Tarp
    Homemade Speer
    Quote Originally Posted by rjcress View Post
    Looks great!
    Did you do your edge hem by hand?
    No, I used a machine. My singer sucks at even stitches. But, it is still faster than by hand.

Hammock
    WarbonnetBlackbird
    Tarp
    Olive Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubat Dempsey TQ
    Suspension
    Stock Webbing
    I was checking out decoy line for some stealth line. That stuff looks great, and if you go to the web page, the pricing is very reasonable!

Hammock
    Freebird, HHExUL w/zip mod
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Nice job! I like the idea of the 12x12 too. It gives you plenty of cover for 2, and the shape lends itself to lots of options if you had to go to the ground.

I do agree with the concept of a breakaway guyline to save from ripping a tarp. It's no victory to say the guy line didn't break but the tarp was torn to shreds.

Hammock
    DIY FrankenBird + 5 other DIYs
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Ogee, etc.
    Insulation
    IX UQ & TQ +fleece
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by finallyME View Post
    No, I used a machine. My singer sucks at even stitches. But, it is still faster than by hand.
    LOL!
    What I meant is "did you machine sew your hem with the aid of an attachment or hem foot, or did you hand roll and sew with no attachments?"
    "I keep telling myself that if I make perfect seams, nobody will believe that I made it... " -JohnSawyer

My outdoor gear review site http://gear-report.com
    Gear reviews, DIY / MYOG projects, Outdoor gear discounts, sales and coupons updated daily

Hammock
    Homemade DIY Hennessy
    Tarp
    Homemade Speer
    Quote Originally Posted by rjcress View Post
    LOL!
    What I meant is "did you machine sew your hem with the aid of an attachment or hem foot, or did you hand roll and sew with no attachments?"
    I didn't use the foot attachment. My mom has shown me several times, but for the life of me I can't get it when she isn't watching. However, my wife did the machine work, and I would help feed it through the machine, so two people.

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    Great looking tarp you got there and the assistants see to be very happy with the results as well.
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

you never said...did it leak? i have the exact same material and my plans were to do EXACTLY like you have done except i haven't gotten around to it yet. nice work! nice pics! who stole your fence

i re-read..NO LEAKS
    Last edited by kitesurfer; 10-28-2010 at 09:39. Reason: ?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast