Hammock
    diy DL HH explorer asym w/shelf
    Tarp
    jrb hex spinn
    Insulation
    winter crowsnest
    Suspension
    whoopies/toggles
    ok I might be totally off topic but what is the reasoning in an over the top RL, I might be wrong but having it under lets you hang stuff to dry and helps support the tarp (I think) so why use an over the top

back to the main topic:
    I've used both full RL and only the ends and I like them both
    as far as not damaging the trees, why not get the tube straps ( I don't know the real name, sorry ) and insert your Rl rope in it, you can then adjust the RL without hurting the trees, not that much as far as weight penalty, even less than opting for tree huggers, doesn't even have to be really long, a couple of feet on each side will do the trick! and it will even protect your line if the tree has coarse bark

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    HG4seasonCFw/doors
    Insulation
    Hammock gear UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by fred1diver View Post
    ok I might be totally off topic but what is the reasoning in an over the top RL, I might be wrong but having it under lets you hang stuff to dry and helps support the tarp (I think) so why use an over the top
    Your not off topic. I wanted all kinds of feedback, and I too would love to hear more about this if someone has it to offer.

back to the main topic:
    I've used both full RL and only the ends and I like them both
    as far as not damaging the trees, why not get the tube straps ( I don't know the real name, sorry ) and insert your Rl rope in it, you can then adjust the RL without hurting the trees, not that much as far as weight penalty, even less than opting for tree huggers, doesn't even have to be really long, a couple of feet on each side will do the trick! and it will even protect your line if the tree has coarse bark
    Do you have a picture or a source for this "tube strap" material?
    Jose Diaz

Hammock
    WBBB, Switchback 1.9 SL & 1.9 DL
    Tarp
    BDWD, AE Hard Rock
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Webbing & Rings
    Water can (will) follow the ridgeline under the tarp and onto your hammock/quilts. Someone posted here once where they used drip lines to stop the water and the water still passed through the line like a conduit.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 dbl/DIY
    Tarp
    OES std/DD Hattarp
    Insulation
    Burrow & CrowsNest
    Suspension
    Webbing/Whoopies
    Images
    I was under the impression that huggers aren't really necessary for tarp lines since the load is small -- at least compared to a hammock.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    TerraRosaGear Adv
    Insulation
    Crowsnest 900-fill
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    That's actually quite a good idea. I happen to have some 10mm clear plastic tubing lying around. I use 5mm cord. If I ever get time I'll test it and post results. Most hardware or gardening stores (or in my case, Home Brew store ) will sell plastic tubing.

Quote Originally Posted by matto View Post
    I was under the impression that huggers aren't really necessary for tarp lines since the load is small -- at least compared to a hammock.
    I can only really speak for local conditions. Here in NSW, Aust most of the trees are paperbark which is quite sensitive to damage. A 5mm rope moving against it while one adjust one's tarp can actually cause quite a bit of damage. Personally, I prefer to contribute as little damage as possible. For this reason, I find individual tie outs work best for me.

Cheers,
    Russ

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Mainly to move the tarp back and forth a bit for fine adjustments over the ends of your hammock.
    I have had drips under the tarp with the line under the tarp ..... I save that for winter now ... snow support.
    Reckon I would put drip lines on it if it were under in a storm. Seems my ridgeline is never level.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    I use an over the top RL to prevent water from dripping down under the tarp and to avoid the friction of the RL against the tarp. I also like the natural and smooth shape the tarp takes when tensioned in all directions without a RL under the centre. IMO both under and over work and you will find people here use both.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    BB 1.1 + 1.7DL, TRAV 1.7DL, HHEXPLR
    Tarp
    Superfly, HH Hex
    Insulation
    3S Incubator & CN
    Suspension
    Whoopies, Dutchies
    My girlfriend and I use single line RLs. Usually usually under the tarp so we can pitch them together. If we are close together we will place one tarp over both ridge lines. If firther apart we will attach the guylines to the opposing ridge line on another set of prussiks.

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    I have used all of these configurations. What I use mostly is to have figure nines on the tarp and simply wrap a section of line around a tree with a small biner on one end, snap the biner over the line, run the free end to the nine on the tarp and adjust. There is no movement of the line on the tree, and the tarp is infinitely adjustable between the trees using the figure nines. This system has worked well for me, though I do like the looks and "fiddle factor" of a full length ridge line. I like to hang stuff up too, and this gives me more options.

Play with it, have fun, don't do it based on what someone else is doing, and I often change just because I want something new, or I am in a mood to do one thing over another. Spending time outdoors and how we do it is a dynamic process, begs for change, thought and adaptation. I like it, let's me putz, be creative, and discover another way to do something.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Hammock
    diy DL HH explorer asym w/shelf
    Tarp
    jrb hex spinn
    Insulation
    winter crowsnest
    Suspension
    whoopies/toggles
    Do you have a picture or a source for this "tube strap" material?[/QUOTE]

You CAN usually find some where they sell climbing Gear, in Canada I usually buy it at M.E.C.
    I guess any outdoor store that sells rope Will probably have some, it looks l'île normal 1 inch webbing but it's hollow in the center
    Last edited by fred1diver; 10-29-2010 at 12:57.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast