Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Images

Hammock Sock material

I went to the last RRG trip, and discovered I need a hammock sock. I wasn't really cold at night, but I could tell I was at the limits of my cold weather setup. I know most people have DWR hammock socks, and I believe Headchange is using untreated. I have about 40 yards of green untreated that I think is 1.9 oz. Would that work ok for a hammock sock? It will be used in places like Speer's New Years Eve hangout on Springer. It will also be used at the winter hangout, and go on my thru hike next year. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    for a hammock sock, i would use the lightest fabric i could. but if that's what you already have, i think there would be very little difference in weight for something that size.

i would just get a can of DWR spray & treat it w/ that after it's finished.
    the DWR will not only help to repel rain & mist but make it much more wind resistant while leaving it breathable.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Images
    Well, weight is an issue. What material would you suggest? Is there anything lighter than 1.9 DWR? Also, something that isn't too expensive.

Hammock
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    i know it's hit & miss but i've found a fair amount of really thin rip stop at wal-mart's $1.00 bin. i would say it's about 1.1 ozs.
    maybe jeff still has some if you can't find it there.
    if not, i'll look & see if i do. i don't want to get rid of to much of the good & cheap stuff i found, but for someone getting ready for a long hike....
    i guess i could

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    IMHO, untreated material is a must for a sock. It's very breathable, which helps to cut down on condensation and allows air flow in for breathing, which is a good thing. I prefer 1.1oz but my HH top cover and my HH clone zip on winter cover are both made from 1.9oz untreated.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    i know it's hit & miss but i've found a fair amount of really thin rip stop at wal-mart's $1.00 bin. i would say it's about 1.1 ozs.
    maybe jeff still has some if you can't find it there.
    if not, i'll look & see if i do. i don't want to get rid of to much of the good & cheap stuff i found, but for someone getting ready for a long hike....
    i guess i could
    I would hate to take any since the sock will require a fair amount of material. I think a WalMart near me has some OD Green 1.9 DWR. Also I was looknig at OFW, and found what I thnk may be the best stuff. I think it is 1.1 oz DWR.
    http://www.owfinc.com/Fabrics/NylonW...stop:%20Coated
    RIPB+wt+color
    I am looking that the thrid one on that page. RIPB+wt+color, the 1.1 oz. If I am reading it right, that is 1.1 DWR. My mom is thinknig of maknig a Potomac underquilt, so we could share the shipping.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post
    IMHO, untreated material is a must for a sock. It's very breathable, which helps to cut down on condensation and allows air flow in for breathing, which is a good thing. I prefer 1.1oz but my HH top cover and my HH clone zip on winter cover are both made from 1.9oz untreated.

For weight and cost, I preffer untreated. What about wind passing through the material though? I remember you and Hooch saying how you got hot with the covers, and how it made the difference. So I know untreated makes a difference.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    The socks acts as a wind stopper for the most part. At Mt rogers when we were experiencing wind of 35-45 mph I could feel air moving through the HH top cover just barely when the wind managed to find it's way to my hammock. I couldn't imagine what it would have been like if I didn't have the cover. Unless there is a strong wind blowing directly against the sock I don't think wind would be much of an issue. That's where site location and tarp setup becomes key.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    headchange would be the voice of experience here. i haven't even made my hammock sock or travel pod yet.
    i just know it will be a real benefit this winter.

Images
    I think I will go with HC here. I will use the 1.9 I have on hand and make one. Hopefully it will be done to be tested at the next hangout Neo is having in Dec. Thanks.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast