Tarp
    diy cat cut hex
    Insulation
    whatever
    Suspension
    openable whoopies
    Images

Lightbulb tree strap ucr??

as if there where not enough ways to attach your hammocks suspension to the tree straps i had this idea today.what if i could install my web strap through some hallow braid rope?i spliced some up useing some rope i had that was originally a whoopie sling that was part of a tree step used for hunting.(i got them about 18 yrs ago)
    i have not hung from them yet but i think they will work.
    [IMG][/IMG]

closer pic
    [IMG][/IMG]

at first the bury would not grab.i added a rubber band at the back of the bury and it started holding.then i had another idea. if i put a loop at the end of the bury (B) i could then attach my nacrabiner to it,instead of back onto the strap.thereby making
    [IMG][/IMG]

a web whoopie
    [IMG][/IMG]

i will try to try it tonight.what do you all think.
    hangin u.p.
    bill
    diyin to hang

Hammock
    DIY 126 x 60 Tablecloth
    Tarp
    JRB 10 x 11
    Insulation
    New River/Owhyee
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    The whoopie sling suspension was originally brought to light by the guy you bought your UCR's from 18 years ago (probably). He posted on here about the UCR and spawned an entire cottage industry! I like your idea tho, especially tying the "B" end back tot he webbing to create tension/compression at the weak end. I will hafta try that with my UCR hammock tonight. I currently use a whip on the weak end to keep it tight; like you did with the rubber band.
    "I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds
    Mind of a Rat Youtube Channel

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Interesting. What's the diameter of the whoopie around the strap? In one of the pictures the loop ("A") that connects to the hammock whoopie looks pretty large. Also, the loop at the other end ("B") will be pulling at right angles to the strap instead of parallel to it if it is snugged down around the tree. Do you think that will affect its grip on the strap? Also, how wide is your strap? Did you use (or invent) a strap fid?

One way to judge a new idea is by the number of questions it immediately generates. This one's a winner.

Images
    I like it... looks like my next fiddlin' will be to make me some webwhoops

Hammock
    diy fiddle factor
    Tarp
    diy cat cut hex
    Insulation
    whatever
    Suspension
    openable whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    Interesting. 1 What's the diameter of the whoopie around the strap? In one of the pictures the loop ("A") that connects to the hammock whoopie looks pretty large. 2 Also, the loop at the other end ("B") will be pulling at right angles to the strap instead of parallel to it if it is snugged down around the tree. Do you think that will affect its grip on the strap? 3 Also, how wide is your strap? 4 Did you use (or invent) a strap fid?

One way to judge a new idea is by the number of questions it immediately generates. This one's a winner.
    wv; 1st ??.the grey rope used as the ucr has a rectangular profile it is 1/2inch wide and about 3/16 deep.
    the loop looks thick because i buried a loop through the loop
    like this

2nd?? i started thinking the same thing as i wrote this thread.i think if the strap is routed through the biner and attached at b at same time that would take care of the potential problem

3rd ??the straps are1inch.the camo one is polyester.the black one is polyproplene

4th??i used a bent wire to pull it through.it was tight.the second one i cut a long taper on the straps end,and melted the frays together.i got this narrowed end started,useing the bent wire, then was able to pull the rest through
    diyin to hang

Hammock
    diy fiddle factor
    Tarp
    diy cat cut hex
    Insulation
    whatever
    Suspension
    openable whoopies
    Images
    i went out last weekend and tried this out.the ucr ,that was shown first at the begining of this thread did not work.slow slide down as soon as part of my weight was put in hammock.
    the second approach,the web woopie worked really well.it was easy to adjust and locked in position just like a normal whoopie.
    i think this could be a good solution for someone looking for an all in one conected suspension system if they did not mind the exta 16 inches it adds (per side)to your overall suspension length.

[IMG][/IMG]

closer pic
    [IMG][/IMG]

with a wrap around

[IMG][/IMG]

it was fun to play with but i will most likly end up switching back to my old way.

hangin u.p.
    bill
    diyin to hang

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Nice work LT, Did you do anything special at the exit point of your bury? or just split the braid/weave, i.e., burn it or cut it?
    Did it seem like it will hold up (the exit hole) or keep widening as does some of the amsteel buries that have been posted?

I like the soloman wrap on your nacra! nice touch.
    Is that snow on your trees already..

I had a rope whoopie on an old treestand a long time ago as well.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    diy fiddle factor
    Tarp
    diy cat cut hex
    Insulation
    whatever
    Suspension
    openable whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle View Post
    Nice work LT, Did you do anything special at the exit point of your bury? or just split the braid/weave, i.e., burn it or cut it?
    Did it seem like it will hold up (the exit hole) or keep widening as does some of the amsteel buries that have been posted?

I like the soloman wrap on your nacra! nice touch.
    Is that snow on your trees already..

I had a rope whoopie on an old treestand a long time ago as well.
    gargoyle,nothing done special at bury entrances/exits just split the weave.these points still look ok,not overly loosened.as far as long term?i do not know .the web folds in half while inside the rope.does not seem like it causes undo wear.
    no snow on the trees.there was a few pockets of snow on the ground here (baraga co mi)when i arrived the day before.(sat)though it was cold enough to snow as it got down to 24degf that night.
    diyin to hang

• + New Posts