Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bryce1201 View Post
    Anyone have problems with bugs flying up from underneath the net? On my trip it seemed like they would fly under the loose hanging parts and work their way up as I moved around. I didnt have an underquilt to tuck the loose ends into, but would be curious if there are options without one or with a pad.

Having mosquitos stuck inside with you in the middle of the night can drive you NUTS
    +1 on what John said.

The HUG was designed as part of a system to take advantage of an under quilt. I suppose adding a few more shock cord to strap the back up.

OR, you could build a HUG that is more like a half tube net, e.g., sewn in the back. The netting would need to be longer in order to do this.

Again, the HUG was designed to be minimal and take advantage of other systems. Without those systems in place you're going to need to get creative.

Hammock
    Weight Weenie Micro
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Shenandah,Greylock
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps
    Thanks guys. Impressed by the quick responses.

Great site.

Without an underquilt, I had the best success looping the cord under the pad and between the hammock. I'm going to give the small binder a try ... or better yet find a good deal on an underquilt for the holidays.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images

Ultralight Shock cord for Hug

For those counting grams . . . My local Joann's has lots of elastic options. I picked up some 1/32" black elastic, and it works great with the hug. It's really light, but strong enough to support the bugnet. . .

For mine, instead of a cordlock inside the hug, I just adjust my prussik loop to set the tension.

I'm making myself a Sgt. Rock Ghost hammock... I'm thinking about a partially-sewn in HUG... I'm thinking sewn in on the footbox side, and partially sewn down the exit side. This would eliminate the need for the velcro, and create a better seal.

I wonder if a lightweight drawcord in a rolled hem on the open side would help seal, too...

More to come...

John
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    BIAS camper
    Tarp
    super fly
    Insulation
    AHE Uq, EE Tq
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Looks good to me I want one , now to work on my thread injector skills
    Shalom.

ramjet

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images

Re: Instructions: The Hug - Hammock Half Bug Net

A hug is a great first project!
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    Just wished I lived where a HUG would provide enough bug protection. Would be great to reduce my bugnet weight to less than half of what it is now.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    Argon X90 Experimental hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images

Re: Instructions: The Hug - Hammock Half Bug Net

How much does your current net weigh?
    NO SNIVELING!
    www.hikinghq.net - Hiking H.Q.
    www.bmtguide.com - the BMT Thru Hiker's Guide

Senior Member TheIrishmanHangeth's Avatar
    Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    Stock EXPLR tarp
    Insulation
    Reflector
    Suspension
    Garda hitch
    Anybody have experience with a HUG that would be able to comment about at what point it becomes not enough coverage? For instance at what temperatures would it be too hot for bottom insulation period? I have a full bugsock but like most of you I find it annoying to open and close. Maybe you specifically could speak on this dejoha as you live in AZ as well so maybe during the summertime do you use a full bug sock? You mentioned previously using a double layer hammock but for most of the time that would just be deadweight when using an underquilt.
    Last edited by TheIrishmanHangeth; 05-06-2013 at 21:57.

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TheIrishmanHangeth View Post
    Anybody have experience with a HUG that would be able to comment about at what point it becomes not enough coverage? For instance at what temperatures would it be too hot for bottom insulation period? I have a full bugsock but like most of you I find it annoying to open and close. Maybe you specifically could speak on this dejoha as you live in AZ as well so maybe during the summertime do you use a full bug sock? You mentioned previously using a double layer hammock but for most of the time that would just be deadweight when using an underquilt.
    I have yet to hang when I didn't need some kind of insulation. Even in the hottest, humid, muggy night in Virginia, at some point in the night I needed a little something under me. In Hawaii I just used a light fleece and it worked okay. That is mostly a personal preference because I know there are folks who hang without any insulation at all during those times of the year.

For mosquito protection at those times, I recommend permethrin treatment or a double layer hammock.

The HUG has been working great and I have yet to find a time when Mosquitos were more than a match for it. I can imagine that there are places where the Mosquitos would be problematic and having a full length net would be preferred, such as the height of the bug season in Alaska.

In Arizona bugs are rarely a problem and have to admit that I rarely use any bug net out here. In fact, much of the southwest is the same way in my experience.

Senior Member TheIrishmanHangeth's Avatar
    Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    Stock EXPLR tarp
    Insulation
    Reflector
    Suspension
    Garda hitch
    Quote Originally Posted by dejoha View Post
    I have yet to hang when I didn't need some kind of insulation. Even in the hottest, humid, muggy night in Virginia, at some point in the night I needed a little something under me. In Hawaii I just used a light fleece and it worked okay. That is mostly a personal preference because I know there are folks who hang without any insulation at all during those times of the year.

For mosquito protection at those times, I recommend permethrin treatment or a double layer hammock.

The HUG has been working great and I have yet to find a time when Mosquitos were more than a match for it. I can imagine that there are places where the Mosquitos would be problematic and having a full length net would be preferred, such as the height of the bug season in Alaska.

In Arizona bugs are rarely a problem and have to admit that I rarely use any bug net out here. In fact, much of the southwest is the same way in my experience.
    What time of year were you in Virginia dejoha? Just wondering as I was there from oct to jan at one point and insulation would definitely be needed then.

• + New Posts
  • Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast