Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Images
    yeah, i think that is one of the best ones from the whole fig 9 thread. i am difinately planning on making one

Hammock
    Homemade 1.9oz
    Tarp
    Homemade cuben
    Insulation
    Homemade synthetic
    Suspension
    Strap-biner-buckle
    Images
    I thought it was, too. The only issue so far is that, when you run the webbing through all three slots, it's not quick-adjustable like a backpack strap. You can adjust it, but it takes a second.

Not a big deal, though. The line adjusts and ties off in no time. I really like these.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    I thought it was, too. The only issue so far is that, when you run the webbing through all three slots, it's not quick-adjustable like a backpack strap. You can adjust it, but it takes a second.

Not a big deal, though. The line adjusts and ties off in no time. I really like these.
    what if you just had 2 slots like the plastic ones on backpacks, the ones you can just pull? would it slip? did the origional have 3 slots or 2?

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I had a hammock hung like that on the same tree for a while and I started noticing the needles turning brown. I took it off and the tree looked healthy again. It could have been from the constriction of the hugger...but I'm sure one or two nights wouldn't damage a tree.

One thing, though - it's a little difficult to do the figure-8 lashing on one loop like that. I usually passed the cord through the webbing's loop a second time...made it easier for me.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Homemade 1.9oz
    Tarp
    Homemade cuben
    Insulation
    Homemade synthetic
    Suspension
    Strap-biner-buckle
    Images
    andersj's had three. So did my prototype, although the slots were a good amount wider than the final versions. With the prototype, I could pull it out just in my hands using two slots. Not so with the new ones, but I haven't tried it weighted yet. I'll give it a try in the next couple days (busy with a wedding prank most of this week) and report back.

I've been watching this thread. The redwoods around here take about 8 feet of webbing on average, and up to about 15 feet for the bigger ones. I'm carrying climbing webbing right now but it's really heavy. I am thinking of 12 or 15 foot tree huggers out of 1" polyester webbing... will have to test those out.

There's some really large trees in the Sierra I want to be sure I can use while backpacking.

Images
    if you wanted to, couldn't you just hang from smaller trees?

It depends. I'm able to find smaller trees pretty easily now, but I really don't know how easy it'll be to find smaller trees where I normally backpack. That wasn't something I thought about a lot before I considered hammocking! I just need a bit more experience hanging.

Images
    i have only been to the sierras once, but seems like i remember lots of "regular" sized trees. would be cool to hang from a giant one though.

i checked out the mariposa sequoia grove near yosimite, it is an amazing site to see trees that big. just a really awesome place.

If I'm camping with a ground dweller, I'd like to pick trees near them. At least one site in my mind has trees at least 3 feet in diameter, requiring over 10 feet of web.

The really big trees, I can't imagine having enough webbing for them. At 6 feet diameter you're looking at over 20 feet of webbing to go around once! Any bigger than that and it just isn't happening...

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast