WBBB 1.7 DOUBLE
    Tarp
    WB SUPERFLY
    Insulation
    IN SEARCH OF!
    Suspension
    tree huggers
    Images
    The north end of that little ridge the springs for Carico branch are just in front of his cabin. He has a pond where those springs start right on top of the mountain.
    Tony a.k.a. bugman0914

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    So, it's this one?
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DOUBLE
    Tarp
    WB SUPERFLY
    Insulation
    IN SEARCH OF!
    Suspension
    tree huggers
    Images
    Bingo. He has 118 acres at that cabin. then continue north to the national forest along that road road behind the cabin past the last log cabin on the aerial and there is 130 or so acres that abut the JNF there
    Tony a.k.a. bugman0914

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    WOW! Thanks!!!!!!

As I said, I got a 16' X 12' tarp, & (somewhere) a few 10' X 10' dining shelters that I'll start looking for tomorrow. I also have a (Gasp!) 8 person tent, not sure why I menton that, but there it is.

So, in NO order it seems the top 3 site choices are:

Move a few yards AT north at the Wise shelter; near the traditional site, few trees.
    Old Orchard shelter; PLENTY of trees, a further walk in all up hill.
    Bugman's site; Generous offer, fewer (NO ) restrictions, possibly a little harder to find. Futher to drive for ME Yea, like I care.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    WBBB Double 1.7
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Burrow,Yetti,WInc
    Suspension
    webbing/Dutchclips
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctari View Post
    Move a few yards AT north at the Wise shelter; near the traditional site, few trees.
    I mentioned this a few posts back and even though we should be expecting snow, I just recall this area being a "dumping grounds" for horses. It was enough that you literally had to find a path around to walk through the trees.

I'm in favor of the other two sites: Old Orchard or Bugman's property. Thanks for offering Bugman, very generous of you. Is there ample parking for such an event there?

Just saw the aerial view. . . .answered my own question.
    Last edited by Muskrat; 12-17-2010 at 22:19.
    “He doesn't know the meaning of the word fear, but then again he doesn't know the meaning of most words”
    - Bobby Bowden

Hammock
    DIY 11' double layer 1.1
    Tarp
    huge DIY camo
    Insulation
    DIY 9oz. Primaloft
    Suspension
    7/64"whoopie sling
    I have a good friend that lives here. I'll call him in the morning to see if he'd mind a bunch of us descending on his land for a weekend. He has 60-some acres: the fields adjacent to his house, and the 2 groups of trees, east of his house, and north.
    I still think Bugman's location would be best, if it's for sure an option.

PF
    It's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Formerly known as Acercanto, my trail name is MacGuyver to some, and Pucker Factor to others.

It's not procrastinating, its proactively delaying the implementation of the energy-intensive phase of the project until the enthusiasm factor is at its maximum effectiveness. - Randy Glasbergen

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DOUBLE
    Tarp
    WB SUPERFLY
    Insulation
    IN SEARCH OF!
    Suspension
    tree huggers
    Images
    Hey PF
    Whos your friend near Comers Rock. I sold alot a Real Estate in that area in the mid 80s to early 90s. I know alot of people in that community. Hunted back in there for years.
    Ok as far as parking at my lot. I have a driveway that goes down into two pads upper pad will hold 2 cars lower pad for ground camping. Then up the road a ways is another area to park and down the road a ways too. Both within 1/4 to 1/2 mile from the campsite. So really not bad considering the hike at GHSP we were going to have to make. This is a sloping lot on the south slope but it does have lots of trees. And it is definitely ours to use if we want to. I just bought it in the spring from a life long friend who had to file bankruptcy due to economy. Its not big but I love it up there. Planning to put a log cabin on it. Here is the cabin for reference.
    http://www.turmanloghomes.com/pdfs/f...ttle-creek.pdf
    The interior will be more open than the floor plan and will be set up very primitive with a wood stove and spring fed water. Hopefully sometime this coming year.
    By the way the company I work for owns over 22,000 acres of real estate in SWVA mostly in Carroll, Floyd, Montgomery, Bland and Tazewell counties and I am the Land Sales and Marketing manager. I have one track that would be great for a summer hang.
    1740 acres with a private 40 acre lake in Pulaski County Va. In all that property not alot above 4000 ft though.
    Tony a.k.a. bugman0914

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Muskrat View Post
    I mentioned this a few posts back and even though we should be expecting snow, I just recall this area being a "dumping grounds" for horses. It was enough that you literally had to find a path around to walk through the trees.
    Muskrat, that had to be inside GHSP. Perhaps you are recalling the area beyond the compost toilet, NW of Wise. The entire park is fenced so the horses cannot leave GHSP. If we follow the AT NE of Wise, cross the creek and hop the fence, we'll be out of the state park. Then we can take the Wilson Creek Trail a short distance across the bald. Once we cross the fence, we will be out of GHSP and beyond the range of the horses.

Quote Originally Posted by Muskrat View Post
    Thanks for offering Bugman, very generous of you.
    Bugman sent me a link to the tax map, which I used to adjust exactly where I think his property is located. Here is a more accurate guess, just down the road from where I first posted. Here's the closeup. From his description, the brown spots just north of the "B" are the pads.

Doctari, I would rank Old Orchard last based on parking insecurity:

1. Move a few [hundred] yards AT north at the Wise shelter...
    2. Bugman's site...
    3. Old Orchard shelter.

The reasons for my first choice are the relatively secure parking, availability of fantastic day hikes (Massy Gap, Rhododendron Gap, Scales), ease of access both driving and hiking, availability of water and compost toilet, and Thing1 gets to pet the ponies!

Should we post a poll?
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    WBBB Double 1.7
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Burrow,Yetti,WInc
    Suspension
    webbing/Dutchclips
    Thats incorrect Mac. From Wise Shelter, hike the AT North, cross over the stile that goes over the barbed wired fence (GHSP Boundary), cross bridge over Wilson Creek, ascend embankment on the other side of Wilson Creek, and there you will find a small campsite with fire ring. Approx 100 yds behind that is a wooded area that seems to fit your description for a possible location. That area is the area that is littered with horse feces.

If I am incorrect that this is the area you are referring to, then my bad, carry on. Just trying to give a heads up.
    “He doesn't know the meaning of the word fear, but then again he doesn't know the meaning of most words”
    - Bobby Bowden

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DOUBLE
    Tarp
    WB SUPERFLY
    Insulation
    IN SEARCH OF!
    Suspension
    tree huggers
    Images
    Mac,
    I have to agree with our PM discussions. I believe you idea is #1. I say gallop poll it!!!
    My place may be a bit difficult to get to with the snow as this is a NF road and it gets little to no snow removal! But as I said Mac the offer stands 24/7/365.
    T
    Tony a.k.a. bugman0914

• + New Posts
  • Page 19 of 29 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast