Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    If it does snow, or if there is snow on the ground, we can use my huge army surplus pulk sled to ferry wood from along the trail.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DOUBLE
    Tarp
    WB SUPERFLY
    Insulation
    IN SEARCH OF!
    Suspension
    tree huggers
    Images
    I am a newbie here. But not a newbie to the Highlands or Mr. Mt. Rogers, I say Mr. because he demands respect. I once was on a SAR team that operated in that area.
    I am planning my first hang with the great folks here at HF on this winter trip. I will be making appropriate prep over the next two months and look forward to meeting all for the first time.
    Tony a.k.a. bugman0914
    Tony a.k.a. bugman0914

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bugman0914 View Post
    I am a newbie here. But not a newbie to the Highlands or Mr. Mt. Rogers, I say Mr. because he demands respect. I once was on a SAR team that operated in that area.
    I am planning my first hang with the great folks here at HF on this winter trip. I will be making appropriate prep over the next two months and look forward to meeting all for the first time.
    Tony a.k.a. bugman0914
    You are most welcome, bugman0914! I'm not a newbie to hanging, but I am new to Mr. M. R. - been there once, last January, and I concentrated on staying warm, fed, and hydrated (did not do well on that last item - must do better this time). This year I'd like to see more of Mr. Mt. Rogers' neighborhood, take a stroll or two, and I count on learning from you and all the others there who know the area well.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bugman0914 View Post
    Tony a.k.a. bugman0914
    Yeah, it's a beautiful area but high & exposed for the south east US, and it regularly catches folks off guard.
    That's a big part of the reason we use the more protected Wise Shelter area for our winter hammock hang out.
    Thanks for your SAR work & hopefully we'll see you in Jan.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    kbwaddy
    Tarp
    valesko
    Insulation
    ahurst
    Suspension
    dutch

2011 Never Looked So Good

i'm a new hanger this year - and Mt. Rogers has me excited.
    i'v got quite a few hours logged on winter threads here - and
    have a bunch of trips and backyard hangs planned to gear up for this.

can't wait to meet all the cold-weather heads and get some real-world
    tips and experience in winter camping from those who've faced it before.

2011 is looking on the up and up.
    "Jeff-Becking"

DOWNTOWN BROWN!!!!

Hammock
    eno doublenest
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12
    Insulation
    HG + AHE tqs/uqs
    Suspension
    donated whoopies
    winter expeditions to mt rogers are why I am glad I am fat. Although I prefer "naturally well insulated".

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    Just a reminder on some points I feel are important to staying happy in the cold:

LAYERS: Layers, Layers, Layers!! And be willing / ready to add or remove layers as conditions change. Quick story: I forgot to loose a few layers when I went for water (about 3/4 mile RT) when I got back to the shelter I was HOT Started stripping about 20' from the shelter leaving a trail of clothing & had to stand there about 15 minutes in just my pants & a tee to cool off. Ambient temp was around 17 degrees.

FOOD: Bring more than you think you will eat / need. You WILL be surprisingly hungry, even though you "Just" stood around talking. Even properly insulated, staying warm in 17 degree temps with wind chill (gusts as high as 50+ MPH) takes A LOT of energy!

Gloves & a Hat: Even if you never wear them, trust me, you will want to have them. Have them ready for when you go to bed also!! Some bring a face mask! It looks funny, but they are warm!

LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION!!!!! Not just pretty words or a catchy Real-estate saying. If at all possible, find a campsite that is well sheltered from the prevailing wind. This can mean as much as a 20 degree difference in temp from an exposed area. Also if possible orient your tarp to block the prevailing wind!

IF YOU NEED HELP, AT ANYTIME, ASK!!!! 14 degrees minus wind chill is NOT the time to "Tough it out". Sorry to be morbid, but I do not want to have to make arrangements to get your corpse out of the woods just because you didn't want help when you needed it! Honestly, I would rather you woke me up at 0200 on Sat morning saying "I'm cold & can't get warm!" than to find your DB later that day! I can fix you being cold!! The other option,,, not so much!
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    WBBB Double 1.7
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Burrow,Yetti,WInc
    Suspension
    webbing/Dutchclips
    Just like to add on to Doc's notes. . .

Lesson I learned last year is not to get over-heated while wearing a down jacket. Due to exertion, my sweat got into the down without me realizing it and the next morning, that jacket was useless. Frozen down does not keep you warm. Luckily, I brought a fleece liner and goretex shell.
    “He doesn't know the meaning of the word fear, but then again he doesn't know the meaning of most words”
    - Bobby Bowden

Hammock
    Black DIY dual zipper
    Tarp
    Black DIY 10'X12'
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    One tip I've learned from my uncle who was a scoutmaster for 25 yrs.

As crazy as it sounds, a pair of those womens nylons, the ones like socks, keep your feet under a slight compression and thereby keep your feet warmer.

I'm not sure about all the details, but I do know it works. Put those on before the other 3 pairs of socks!
    "Is this the best you've got?!!" (Shortoff Mtn., Linville Gorge 2010)

"Life is tough.....it's even tougher if you're stupid!".....(John Wayne)

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hangin' Burrito View Post
    One tip I've learned from my uncle who was a scoutmaster for 25 yrs.

As crazy as it sounds, a pair of those womens nylons, the ones like socks, keep your feet under a slight compression and thereby keep your feet warmer.

I'm not sure about all the details, but I do know it works. Put those on before the other 3 pairs of socks!
    I can imagine dieing of hypothermia and my family discovering that I have been hanging out in the woods in panty hose! That might make for an "awkward eulogy".

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast