DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I called GHSP & Marceia Holland answered. She was very nice & helpful.

I began to explain what I was calling about & she knew immediately what I was referring to. She was appreciative that we had taken the email in the spirit that it was intended... not to come across as a hard nose LE, but as having concern for the area's use & the impact it would have on the other hikers using the area as well.

I told her that we had at times talked about our own concerns in using the wise shelter for our large group. I pointed out the things we had done to balance our impact on the area, but first explained that it was not to change her mind or argue our case, just to let her know that did indeed have concern for the area as well, even though we were "bending the rules"... OK, breaking the rules But she never pushed that point very hard.

Some of the good points Marceia made were the group size limits with in State Parks & Wilderness Areas, public consumption of alcohol is illegal, any winter hikers that might come along might need that shelter & not feel inclined to use it, even though we might encourage them to. Also, the shelter is intended mainly as an overnight shelter, not a multiple night hang out, especially considering the group size.
    But the one that really made me say, Ummmm.... I hadn't really put that into full perspective is this. We have to spread out quite a ways to look for fire wood. The further we do clean up the fire wood over the weekend, the further a tired, winter hiker is going to have to go to find wood to burn.
    We didn't talk about it but it's something to consider about the huge amount of human waste we deposit into that compost style out house in a weekend

Anyway, I explained that alcohol was limited & such, but again, just to let the rangers know that we did keep things relatively in check & tried to be responsible campers.

What it really comes down to is that State Parks & Wilderness Areas are more protected from things like large group impact than the larger Mt Rogers Recreation Area (MRRA). If you look at a map you will see that the MRRA is huge, & it contains with in it's borders GHSP & 3 wilderness areas. I already knew this but just helping everyone get the big picture.

We talked about alternatives, but I forgot to ask about the possibility of using the camp grounds. I can call back & ask, but I have my doubts since she never mentioned it.

She talked about not needing to go much further past Wise shelter to be out of the State Park, but going toward Scales in order not to go into the Little Wilson Creek Wilderness Area.
    She said she had a hammock but had not used it for camping (she is a backpacker though) so she didn't know just what we needed as far as set up, but said there are quite a few hemlocks at the edge of the Scales area.
    I talked about the need for a rather protected area from the wind for one thing. It's been a long time since I've hiked through Scales but maybe there are enough woods surrounding it??? I don't know how the wind might be in that open valley though.
    She said a 4 wheel drive could go into scales & even take fire wood. The firewood ban has not come as far as The Mt Rogers Rec Area, but if wood is brought in, I would just suggest it not be brought from anywhere near the areas were the Emerald Borer has been active.
    She said there were vault toilets at Scales & may even be a working water spigot, but not sure.

I'll be away from the computer for a while but just wanted to get this info posted so y'all can start showing how flexible & creative you are
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrick View Post
    Where is Old Orchard in relation to GHSP, is it outside that park, and in a Wilderness Area?
    5.9 miles N on the AT from the Wise shelter, still in (per my GPS) the Grayson Highlands.
    After some research: The parking lot is on VA 603 at Fox creek, a bit from Troutdale VA. On MY map, it's a few yards West of Homestead Rd. as best I can tell. 1.7 N of the Old Orchard Sh & as mentioned above, TO the shelter it is uphill just about all the way. BUT, that means all down on the way back to the cars

I Think That the shelter faces West, or in to the prevailing wind. I may be wrong. But if we get enough people, we can just pick it up & turn it around.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

ἑταῖροι
    Hammock
    Switchback
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Ultra
    Insulation
    How cold is it?
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctari View Post
    But if we get enough people, we can just pick it up & turn it around.
    just to make it clear to anyone reading this thread: THAT'S A JOKE!
    Live by the sword, die by the arrow

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    But the one that really made me say, Ummmm.... I hadn't really put that into full perspective is this. We have to spread out quite a ways to look for fire wood. The further we do clean up the fire wood over the weekend, the further a tired, winter hiker is going to have to go to find wood to burn.
    She doesn't want 40 real winter campers to use the park because she wants to reserve the downed firewood for a hypothetical winter hiker.

Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    We didn't talk about it but it's something to consider about the huge amount of human waste we deposit into that compost style out house in a weekend
    That's what it is for! Good grief!

- MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    eno doublenest
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12
    Insulation
    HG + AHE tqs/uqs
    Suspension
    donated whoopies
    I've got the 4wd, I have a new jeep we can use to grab some firewood if its allowed, mud tires and everything! I like the idea of possibly going to the scales. I have heard its neat, but I have always gone towards the top of the area, never down to the scales. I would be up for the scales if there are some trees to hang from.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    So would we just be trading one shelter for another within the same management area if we went to Old Orchard Shelter? Or would it be acceptable given our constraints...? How certain is the water situation at Scales?

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    So would we just be trading one shelter for another within the same management area if we went to Old Orchard Shelter?
    Old Orchard is not in the GHSP. Neither is Scales.

Or would it be acceptable given our constraints...?
    Looks like Old Orchard is on a hillside that is open to the NW... bad idea in winter!

How certain is the water situation at Scales?
    They marked the springs on the Natl. Geo. map. There's one a half mile to the north, and one about a quarter mile to the south.

I like the look of Scales better [changed my mind ...see below]... if the GHSP rangers don't mind us using our usual access and parking. Our hike would be twice as long.

Scales has a big P icon indicating Parking... but it's a long drive!
    [3.5 to 4 miles... now that would be neat if Big Papi drove in, wouldn't it? We'd have our own emergency contingency evac!]
    Last edited by MacEntyre; 12-15-2010 at 17:07.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hetairoi View Post
    just to make it clear to anyone reading this thread: THAT'S A JOKE!
    Yes it was?

I mean "YES, it was!"

Re the scales:
    AT north of the scales is a nicely wooded area & as I passed through I thought a few times "OOOH, I could hang there!" But I think the amount of trees, at least what I saw is 20 hangers. BUT: I stopped at the privy, signed the register, got water & hoofed it up the trail. I did little sight seeing.
    There is a fully enclosed privy there, likely paid for / built by the horsemen & women. Concrete floor (& vault), well vented, & when I was there, supplied TP
    A nice spring was just N of the privy, (across the road by the camper below).
    There is a gravel road, but when I was there a LARGE camper was there, with road wheels & suspension, so,,,,,,,,,
    Ewker's map (I think) shows the road I saw, it MAY be part of the VA highlands horse trail to the NNW, but I did not take the time to follow it any. What I saw was a fairly decently maintained GRAVEL road.
    AT south of the Scales area is pretty barren of trees.
    It was windy along there in 08.
    Judging from the map, the scales is 2x as far as the Wise is from "Our" Parking lot. There is a pretty substantial (for those used to the trail to the Wise) hill about 1/4 mile past the river, but that is all I have hiked of the Scales trail.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctari View Post
    There is a gravel road, but when I was there a LARGE camper was there, with road wheels & suspension, so,,,,,,,,,
    Ewker's map (I think) shows the road I saw, it MAY be part of the VA highlands horse trail to the NNW, but I did not take the time to follow it any. What I saw was a fairly decently maintained GRAVEL road.
    Here is that road on Google Maps. It is 4.1 miles, according to Google.

And here is a sat view of Old Orchard, near as I can tell...
    - MacEntyre
    www.MollyMacGear.com

view of the shelter and a view from the shelter in 2002
    Attached Images Attached Images
    'Classic.' A book which people praise and don't read.” ― Mark Twain

Who cares about showers, gourmet food, using flush toilets. Just keep on walking and being away from it all.

There are times that the only way you can do something is to do it alone.

• + New Posts
  • Page 13 of 29 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast