Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by skar578 View Post
    FF, I am short of money (can find the money to get a treklight tomorrow) or should I save up to buy better DIY materials such as epic, momentum90, spinntex, etc.
    Dont know enough about those materials to comment. Most just use 1.9 ripstop and similar material. My Treklight double is more comfortable than the DIY hammock I made.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    i personally like the top entry (speer) type too.
    one question though. in you're post you didn't mention a pad or under quilt. did you have anything other than your sleeping bag under you?

for you & your girlfriend to really enjoy sleeping in cool weather, you'll need some kind of bottom insulation.

and welcome to HF. ...tim
    I am actually working on a few ideas for the insulation. For now I have an closed cell pad inside of a $3 fleece blanket (for comfort)...all stowed inside of my sleeping bag (-25 deg). Seems to work okay so far. All stays together.

I am glad to know someone is close who knows about this this stuff. I am in Kernersville.

I do health and safety consulting and a client I was doing chemical assessments for last week, make batting and pillows. They told me I can have all of the scrap I can carry away...so I will begin experimenting soon with hollow-fill batting, egg crate type material, feathers/down fill and cotton liners.....so who knows what I will end up with.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by skar578 View Post
    an ENO? so does that mean you will "accidentally" order the ENO double nest?

eh, eh? sorry, couldn't resist.

Tim, why does it seem like everyone loves the top entry? I have never used a bottom slit, but with the top loader, you have to hang it low enough to be able to get in, which after streching, is rather low.
    We tested a double......didn't like it. That is what actually got us involved in the hammock camping idea.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pyr8fan View Post
    I am actually working on a few ideas for the insulation. For now I have an closed cell pad inside of a $3 fleece blanket (for comfort)...all stowed inside of my sleeping bag (-25 deg). Seems to work okay so far. All stays together.

I am glad to know someone is close who knows about this this stuff. I am in Kernersville.

I do health and safety consulting and a client I was doing chemical assessments for last week, make batting and pillows. They told me I can have all of the scrap I can carry away...so I will begin experimenting soon with hollow-fill batting, egg crate type material, feathers/down fill and cotton liners.....so who knows what I will end up with.
    sounds interesting. between the free insulation & all the near by walmarts w/ cheap fabric, you could end up w/ several really cheap but effective under quilts.
    there are a few HF members close by. we'll be glad to get together w/ you & help if we can.
    take a look at the member's on the map found on the home page here.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pyr8fan View Post
    I just purchased a HH and slept in it last night. I love the comfort that it provides. I had trouble getting into my bag and got a little chill about 4 am. My girlfriend wants a hammock also.......I am thinking of giving her my HH and purchasing a Clark Ultra-light. What are a few opinions of the 2?....If I said I would buy you one.....what would you get?
    the claytor jungle is the way to go,double bottom which alows you to place a pad between the layers,its only 130.00 and free shipping,only 3 lbs and that includes a large fly and its in my favorite color amo neo

http://www.mosquitohammock.com/junglehammock.html
    the matrix has you

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Welcome to the site pyr8fan!

Let me know if you want to make one of your own. I don't live too far from you and can give you some help if you want.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12