JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    MLD Hex Tarp syl
    Insulation
    No Sniveler UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie

BMBH Pad Question..

Not that I would EVER THINK of buying one of those great looking BMBH hammocks, as my wife has seen way too many cardboxes shipped from JacksRBettter....

Shenandoah Quilt, No Sniveler, Triglides and Webbing, Dry Duck poncho, Whoopie slings etc.

But should a BMBH drop into my hands somehow... Will a Big Agnes inflatable mummy pad fit in the pad sleeve?

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Thermarest X-Therm
    Suspension
    Mule Tape / Becket
    Images

BMBH + Pad

The BMBH hammock will take a 25" pad easily, and you can use a rectangular or mummy shape. I favor the former for cold weather camping to make sure that I have enough pad around me to insulate from the cole.

I've tried a ThermaRest NeoAir and an Exped Downmat 9, both sized large, and both have worked well.

Images
    I believe it is sized to accept up to a 26" wide pad, and either 2" thick or maybe 3" thick?

If I planned to mainly use a pad for insulation, I'd have a hard time choosing other than a JRB BMBH. Other double layer hammocks and SPEs work well, much better than single layer without an SPE, no doubt. It's just that the BMBH works so much better with a pad than other hammocks, in my experience. As opposed to trying to lay diagonal on a full length pad, it is just a much more conducive to a hassle free sleep. Just my opinion, of course. You can not roll off of a pad in the BMBH, unless you are about to roll out of the hammock. And the pad is, like the hammock, pretty much flat in both length and width.

A pad in a BMBH both improves and worsens things. A wide thick torso area pad opens the hammock up, definitely increasing shoulder room. But a thick pad raises your center of gravity making the BMBH feel less stable. I have not really found it to be a problem, but it does feel a little scary at first and takes some getting used to.

I'm not ready to say that a BMBH ( except for improved shoulder room) is 100% as comfortable as it is with, say, a JRB MW3 or 4. You know, there is that whole sleeping on nylon and air thing(and how the nylon conforms to every contour of your body that hammocks are famous for). It is a heck of a lot more comfy than that same pad on the ground at least. And then there is the whole sweating on a pad that is such an issue for some folks, less so for others. But, if you want to use a pad in a hammock for whatever reason, the BMBH can not be beat, IMO.

Hammock
    JRB BMB
    Tarp
    JRB 11'x10'
    Insulation
    JRB TQ / UQ set
    Suspension
    JRB tri-glide
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    A pad in a BMBH both improves and worsens things. A wide thick torso area pad opens the hammock up, definitely increasing shoulder room. But a thick pad raises your center of gravity making the BMBH feel less stable. I have not really found it to be a problem, but it does feel a little scary at first and takes some getting used to.
    + 1 to BillyBob's note --- This is exactly my experience as well. I greatly prefer the BMBH with the pad but I also found that rolling over at night will start a rocking motion. I have gotten used to it.

I use a BA insulated air core pad, rectangluar 20" x 72" x 2.5". I wish it was wider. I plan on asking Santa for the Exped Downmat 9.

I have used a Z-rest and it bends a bit more than the air pads but still works.
    Last edited by tjm; 10-30-2010 at 13:37.
    Love my JRB BMB

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Custom OES BatCave
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Ive used a 3'' thick 25'' wide rei pad in mine a few times. It fits, but it changes the CofG of the hammock a little to make it feel a little more tipsy.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    MLD Hex Tarp syl
    Insulation
    No Sniveler UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I had not considered height and Center of Gravity issues with an inflated bad. Thanks Guys! I guess I will ask Santa for a closed cell pad as well as a BMBH. What is the optimum width for closed cell pad in a BMBH sleeve?

Hammock
    none
    Tarp
    none
    That is one of the things I'll miss about a bridge hammock. Flip it over, slip pad in pad pocket or attached UQ. Flip back over to use. Nothing ever touches the ground. If they would only make it so I didn't have to climb out of it.
    I have heard your confession I know who you blame
    If you had it all back you'd just lose it again
    Can't bank on redemption if you ain't saved
    Don't bring me your tales of temptation and loss
    Don't bring me the pieces of your shattered cross

-- Stuart Adamson

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sambeaux View Post
    I had not considered height and Center of Gravity issues with an inflated bad. Thanks Guys! I guess I will ask Santa for a closed cell pad as well as a BMBH. What is the optimum width for closed cell pad in a BMBH sleeve?
    Optimum? I'd say the max of 26". Can't think of any reason why 24 or 25" would be better except weight. But 24 or 25 should also do the job.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sambeaux View Post

Choose an answer.

Wider is better.... max out at 26inches

Go with what you got...use anything available

Zero...be realllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllyyyyyyyyyy y good and ask Santa for a MT Washington 3 or 4

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    Switch back 1.9
    Tarp
    Lawson HexaLite
    Insulation
    3-Season Incubator
    Suspension
    whoppie slings
    I have used a Big agnes rectangle pad as well. but the pad of choice is the Neo air. It is just like sleeping on a twin bed at home. I can't say enough about this set up. To me the only plus of using a pad is the increased shoulder space. For warmth I still perfer to use down quilts. I have to agree with Biilybob about the center of gravity issue. It does take some getting use to. but i have never fell out yet.
    "The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress, and grows brave by reflection."
    Thomas Paine

• + New Posts