Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images

Question Foam Pad Carry Options

Hey Folks,
    My "search-foo" is kind of weak so I've had no luck finding any info on this. Here's my dilemma....I'm headed out on my first "cool" weather hammock trip next month. Since I'm a cheapskate I'm just going the foam pad route for now. I got a chunk of 1/4" volara that I'm trying to pack.

Now, It's probably too big (40"x60") and I'll have to do some experimenting to see how far I can cut it down. I just started with this size since this seems to be a kind of common size that folks order.

A chunk of foam this size doesn't seem to want to pack down into any kind of manageable package. A 40" long roll just won't work for the outside of my pack. I've tried folding it in half and rolling but this ends up with a pretty nasty lump. Folding has got me a maybe 12" square x 4" thick. Still not very pack friendly.

So how do others pack some seemingly large chunks of foam down into a more manageable size???? Is there some kind of compression sack or straps that might help with this?

Thanks,

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1SL/UKHamm
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 4S/CamoSF
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WhoopieDutchness
    When I used to use pads many moons ago I would put mine into the pack before anything else, push it out to the sides and then stuff everything else inside the tube created.

Suppose it depends on how tall your pack is though

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Insulation
    DIY Synthetic
    I use some 1/4" foam which I've found works well down into the mid 30's in this configuration between the layers of my WBBB. I haven't had the opportunity to test it in lower temperatures, but I'm guessing that is about the lower limit without wearing more than thermal underwear for clothing.

I cut one piece 20" wide x about 75" long (full body length plus a little more). I cut off the right side corner of the foot side so that it fits better in the WBBB foot box.

Then I cut 2 pieces 20" x 30". I lay these 2 pieces perpendicular to and under my full length pad. One of these I have under my shoulders/upper back. The other I put under my lower back/butt. This gives me 1/2" of padding for my upper/mid body with some 1/4" coverage on the sides, and 1/4" padding for my legs/feet. It all rolls up about the size of a normal full length 1/2" blue pad.

This will work for me till I have time to make and under quilt.

Hammock
    Claytor JH
    Tarp
    stock JH tarp
    Insulation
    CCF and body fat
    Quote Originally Posted by Shewie View Post
    When I used to use pads many moons ago I would put mine into the pack before anything else, push it out to the sides and then stuff everything else inside the tube created.
    That's what I do, when the dimensions of the pack I'm using permit it.

But I once ran into a guy who used a really big pad of some sort. He wasn't a hammocker, and I guess he liked to pad the entire floor of his tent or something. Anyway, he rolled his pad on the long axis and looped it around the perimeter of his pack and carried it that way. Just tied or strapped there on the exterior. It reminded me of the old WWI doughboy or tommy packs-- the kind with a rolled-up blanket around the outside of it.

It seemed like a good way to carry a pad, but I never tried it. The guy was able to compress his pad down to a pretty thin cylinder, so I'm not sure it was CCF.

FWIW...

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    I've done a couple of things.

For reference, I use a blue closed-cell foam (CCF) pad from Wal-Mart. I cut mine into two sections (nearly in half), and round the corners. One section is turned so the longest width curls around my upper torso, arms, and shoulders. The other section is for my lower torso and legs.

1. Roll the pads and stick them directly into a top-loader pack. As the pads unwrap, they help form the pack. I then stuff the rest of my gear into this tube.

2. Roll the pads up tight, secure with a strap, and attach them vertically to a pack (more streamlined -- cool!). Horizontally works okay too if you have the attachment points for it (top, bottom, etc.)

3. Z-fold. I've taken my pads and scored them so they fold up like the Therm-A-Rest version. I usually use this style as the frame for my frameless packs, or to give more structure to the pack.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    WBBB XLC dbl. 1.7, ENO Dblnst
    Tarp
    Superfly, MCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Zep/Incu/NewR/SSnv
    Suspension
    tree strap/whoopie
    Since they are so light, I just roll mine and attach it anywhere convenient on the outside of my pack (usually horizontally and usually on the bottom).

Happy napping,
    desmobob

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite & WBBB 1.0 Double
    Insulation
    Crowsnest/No Snive
    Images
    When I carried a full pad, I used this method:

Now that I carry only an 18x24 inch section, it gets folded and placed on top of everything in the pack. This way it is available as a sit pad whenever I take a break.

Hammock
    switchback
    is anyone worried about them getting wet while strapped on the outside of the pack...i know they arent suppose to absorb water, but they could still get wet?

Hammock
    WBBB XLC dbl. 1.7, ENO Dblnst
    Tarp
    Superfly, MCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Zep/Incu/NewR/SSnv
    Suspension
    tree strap/whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by Grillmastertoo View Post
    is anyone worried about them getting wet while strapped on the outside of the pack...i know they arent suppose to absorb water, but they could still get wet?
    If the pad is closed cell foam, it's no big deal. It will get wet on the outside... just shake it off before you use it.

Happy napping,
    desmobob

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite & WBBB 1.0 Double
    Insulation
    Crowsnest/No Snive
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Grillmastertoo View Post
    Not worried about CCF at all.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast