Tarp
    Bigred's custom
    Insulation
    Bigred's UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Cinch/Web
    Images

Tarp vents

As I was looking for some equipment for the boys in my scout troop, the thing that I realized is that some tents have built in vents so as to reduce or eliminate condensation in the tent.

I have two types of DIY tarps. One three season that is 11' X 68". The other I have is a winter style (to the ground) with doors. Would there be any benefit to put it on my winter tarp, nearer to, but possibly not at the ridgeline?
    Bigred

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    I think just by nature a tarp is vented. It is hard to close even one with doors to the point that moisture form you is going to be the problem. Seems to me if the outside moisture is the problem then venting isn't the solution either.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    Homemade
    Tarp
    TBD
    Insulation
    Rab Quantum
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    My experience so far with my Speer Winter trap is that I can't seal it up tight enough to warrant the need for vents. Any possibility for condensation inside is the result of weather conditions where condensation is pretty much unavoidable (fog/dew/etc)

EDIT: I just \noticed you said your tarps are DIY.... is that a design that you can SEAL the doors, via zipper or velcro or something? In that case, maybe vents are a valid option...
    "I know the feeling - It is the real thing - You can't refuse the embrace!" | "Go n-éirí an bóthar leat."

Hammock
    WB Tribe
    Tarp
    OGeeTarp & OES
    Insulation
    PHOENIX/BURROW
    Suspension
    Webbing N Whoopie
    I don't see any needs for vents on your tarp either.

But do make sure that everybody involved intakes enough calories prior to dozing off for the night, especially during real cold weather.
    "If'n I'm gonna fall, someone is gonna' watch."
    Sean Emery

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    I could use an exhaust vent on my hammock...
    It gets a little gassy sometimes.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Images
    Whether it is a tent or a closed off tarp with doors, etc, you will need some venting. In general the theory of venting is to have a low access for air coming in and a high access for air going out. The low intake, high exit works well with carrying away the warm moist air you exhale as you breath because it tends to rise.

With hammocks you can get this naturally by the tarp not going all the way to the ground, and like you suggested, having some opening near the ridgeline where the hammock suspension enters. But even with that you need some air movement for it to work well which basically means you would like to adjust how much venting area you have according to the amount of wind you have or the lack off.

With a lot of wind you will likely get enough ventilation whether you try to or not. Without any wind you might not get enough ventilation no matter what you do, especially if you are in a high humidity environment. All you can do is the best you know how to do with what you have to work with in the situation you find yourself in. A tarp is just one part of what you may have to work with. Bug netting, hammock socks, etc can be a part of the equation as well as your tarp.
    Youngblood AT2000

Hammock
    Bigred's custom
    Tarp
    Bigred's custom
    Insulation
    Bigred's UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Cinch/Web
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle View Post
    I could use an exhaust vent on my hammock...
    It gets a little gassy sometimes.
    I need one as well

Quote Originally Posted by Youngblood View Post
    Whether it is a tent or a closed off tarp with doors, etc, you will need some venting. In general the theory of venting is to have a low access for air coming in and a high access for air going out. The low intake, high exit works well with carrying away the warm moist air you exhale as you breath because it tends to rise.

With hammocks you can get this naturally by the tarp not going all the way to the ground, and like you suggested, having some opening near the ridgeline where the hammock suspension enters. But even with that you need some air movement for it to work well which basically means you would like to adjust how much venting area you have according to the amount of wind you have or the lack off.

With a lot of wind you will likely get enough ventilation whether you try to or not. Without any wind you might not get enough ventilation no matter what you do, especially if you are in a high humidity environment. All you can do is the best you know how to do with what you have to work with in the situation you find yourself in. A tarp is just one part of what you may have to work with. Bug netting, hammock socks, etc can be a part of the equation as well as your tarp.
    Point noted. Thanks for all of the input guys!!!
    Bigred

• + New Posts