Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    WB BMJ
    Insulation
    AHE JB, Puffer UQ
    Suspension
    WB Webbing
    I too need to make 2 UQ's before the Texas hang. Can you show us more on your quilt?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chingyul View Post
    Planning on building my own too.

However, I do plan on keeping it outside (subject to freeze/thaw, rain, snow and other weather up here in Canada).
    What's the better choice?
    Weather treated wood (heard some issues with the chemicals and close contact with people).
    Untreated, and then a paint/stain? What about holes for hardware? Does it have to be painted/stained internally?

Was passing through Home Depot. Cedar is suppose to be weather resistant, but would still to stain right? Pricey though.
    I used treated pine, but I'm not sure what would be best for your area. I wouldn't think cedar should be a good choice, it's fairly soft and tends to bow more than pine...

Quote Originally Posted by sparkyjim View Post
    Nice job on both! I went with the "Rabbit Ear" stand. I like the UQ, am going to do something similar - may just copy your idea. Did you read any particular post in the reconstruction?
    I read a bunch of posts, to get ideas and realized not ever having seen an underquilt up close I wasn't sure how it connected. There were a few photos but nothing up close. Watched a vids too, so I knew it attached simply. So I ended up just buying some materials and parts that I thought I would need and layed it out on the dining table. More to come.

Quote Originally Posted by Buck View Post
    I too need to make 2 UQ's before the Texas hang. Can you show us more on your quilt?

Thanks
    I will work on a list of materials and provide some pics. Unfortunately I did not measure anything. I kinda threw it together because I needed something for the trip and knew it would be temporary.

OK, please forgive me for the lousy sewing. I didn't practice first and I wasn't trying to do a perfect job. I also did not measure anything as I went along. I found after my test night that I needed an additional support up and over my hammock to support the extra weight of the cheap sleeping bag. The first night I used a couple of binding clips and then added two more grosgrain loops along the side the next day.

Purchases:

Boy's camo sleeping bag - Walmart $10 (zipper removed, inside of bag is all grey - used this for the outside of UQ)
    7/8" roll (18ft) grosgrain black ribbon - Walmart $2 (also available at Jo-Ann Fabrics for $3.50)
    1 yard black nylon (heavy duty, not ripstop) - Jo-Ann Fabrics $6 (my Walmart does not sale nylon material anymore)
    1 roll Gutterman 100% Polyester thread black - Jo-Ann Fabrics $5.49 (use store circular for 40-50% off)
    20 ft shock cord - REI Store at .25 per ft (may need more depending, I used 3 ft at each end, less over top and the rest for the loop through the side channels)
    4 pk mini cordlocks - REI Store $2.25
    3 pk #2 S-biner - Academy Sports $6

Cutting:

Layout your black nylon material

Cut 2 - 4" strips (shock cord channels on the head and foot end) from the short end (cut to size as I pinned to the bag)
    Cut 2 - 4" strips (shock cord channels for the sides) from the long end (cut to size as I pinned to the bag)
    Cut 4 - 3x3 squares to reinforce corners (can use left overs from 4" strips above - may also want to use 2 more reinforcement point on the sides)

Sewing:

First, pin 3 - 3" darts to each short end (head and foot) effectively reducing the length by 18". The batting is cheap and bunches badly, do the best you can. You want to secure the batting to the edges with pins. (picture # 3, not to clear but they are there)
    Fold the short strips in half and pin both sides to the outside of the UQ over the darts. Sew in place and repeat for other end.
    Fold the long strips and pin both sides to the outside of the UQ along the sides of the UQ. Sew.
    Sew the squares on the corners (inside the UQ), then sew the grosgrain loops at 90 degree to each other on the corner squares. (picture #1)
    Sew 2 grosgrain loops on each side of the UQ 18-24 inches from the head to support the weight of the sleeping bag and to help keep the bag up over your shoulders while sleeping. (picture # 4)

Final touches:
    Cut and thread 3 ft of shock cord through the channels at the head and foot ends. Tie one end to grosgrain loop and use a cordlock on the other for each end. I choose to use the cordlock on the entry side of my hammock for easier adjustments. (picture # 1 and picture # 2)
    Cut 2 ft 8 in of shock cord and tie to grosgrain loop on the side channel, opposite from entry and loop through cordlock and attach s-biner. (picture # 5 and picture # 4)
    Thread the remaining shock cord throught the side channels in one large loop attach cordlock and secure with knot. Attach 2 s-biner on the large loops to secure to hammock above the gathered end. (picture # 3 and picture # 6)
    I also installed an additional ridgeline above my hammock (not shown in picture # 6) to support the shock cord line going up and over the chest area so the weight was not on the netting on my WBBB. This also provides a clip point to secure the cord when getting in and out of your hammock so you don't loose the cord to the other side...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    DIY FrankenBird + 5 other DIYs
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Ogee, etc.
    Insulation
    IX UQ & TQ +fleece
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Thanks for taking the time to document your UQ project and post.
    I'm about to start this very project and will likely just copy yours... as it looks better than what I was thinking of doing.
    "I keep telling myself that if I make perfect seams, nobody will believe that I made it... " -JohnSawyer

My outdoor gear review site http://gear-report.com
    Gear reviews, DIY / MYOG projects, Outdoor gear discounts, sales and coupons updated daily

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    WB BMJ
    Insulation
    AHE JB, Puffer UQ
    Suspension
    WB Webbing
    Yes thank you. Starting on mine tonight

Correction

The nylon strips used for the shock cord channels are 3" wide not 4". Measured when I got home....

Hammock
    Freebird, HHExUL w/zip mod
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    So, when does production start?

I have 2 nephews and a brother starting out hammock camping and an economical, "weight doesn't matter since they're car campers", synthetic under-quilt would be great to have under a Christmas tree.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12