Hammock
    Warbonnets
    Tarp
    Simply Light
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear TQ
    Images

SOLD: MacCat Deluxe

I am parting with my MacCat Deluxe. I've have only tied it up once, for 2 days. It has never seen any rain, just a little fog, dust, and mild wind. So, it will have a few dust spots on it, but otherwise be like new. I don't have any special cording for it, just some cheap mason line. Comes with the OES stuff sack. Tarp is the standard gray. $110 shipped to the continental US, Priority Mail. I take PayPal or Money Orders. Can ship within one day of payment.

Hammock
    Warbonnets
    Tarp
    Simply Light
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear TQ
    Images
    Tarp is Sold.

I need to get something different for a suspension system. I'm tired of the standard rope and tree straps. If anyone has some extra stuff, feel free to PM me.

I believe the simplest suspension mod is a treklite biner clipped to the tree hugger with an SMC ring clove hitched into the hammock rope. This is basically a trucker's hitch (the ring replaces the loop of the hitch). The ring functions as a pulley and you just tie a hennessy lash at the carabineer. The lash is easier 'cause you can just clip through the biner each time instead of having to feed the working end of the rope through each time. Best of all, you don't modify the hammock and it adds about 2 ounces.

I must give credit to TEEDEE for the above suspension mod, he originated it. Speaking of him, he hasn't posted for some time.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Take-a-knee View Post
    I must give credit to TEEDEE for the above suspension mod, he originated it. Speaking of him, he hasn't posted for some time.
    Where were you hiding when that happened? TeeDee left the forum in a petty temper tantrum a few months ago and deleted almost all his posts (subsequently ruining the flow of MANY threads in the process).
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    Where were you hiding when that happened? TeeDee left the forum in a petty temper tantrum a few months ago and deleted almost all his posts (subsequently ruining the flow of MANY threads in the process).
    I just had a look at Take-a-knee's public profile. He joined up HF in late September 2007. TeeDee blew out of here in August. Doesn't mean TaK couldn't have been lurking here before then, but I wouldn't a priori assume he was around for the fireworks.

Both he and TeeDee post at www.hikinghq.net . I've not been over there for a while so don't know if TeeDee is posting there these days or not.

The discussion TaK credits to TeeDee happened after the blow out, at Rock's site.

Grizz

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Take-a-knee View Post
    I believe the simplest suspension mod is a treklite biner clipped to the tree hugger with an SMC ring clove hitched into the hammock rope. This is basically a trucker's hitch (the ring replaces the loop of the hitch). The ring functions as a pulley and you just tie a hennessy lash at the carabineer. The lash is easier 'cause you can just clip through the biner each time instead of having to feed the working end of the rope through each time. Best of all, you don't modify the hammock and it adds about 2 ounces.
    If you pass the rope between carbiner and ring 3 or 4 times there isn't much pull on the free end of the rope (due in part to mechanical advantage, due in part to friction among the rope lengths that are all passing between ring and biner). You then don't need a Hennessy knot in all its gory, err, glory. What I do is tie it off with a bight in a half hitch, and then for safety's sake pass the free end loosely through the bight. This last bit gives some protection against accidently pulling out the bight tripping over the free end or something. Quick to loosen up and adjust if needed.

Grizz

is there a link describing (hopefully with pictures) about that mod? I am quite interested.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by skar578 View Post
    is there a link describing (hopefully with pictures) about that mod? I am quite interested.
    Sorry, that was text, and pretty hard to follow actually.

But I've used that technique in the picture below in a different context. There is a cord coming out from the hammock to a couple of stakes. Before the cord gets to the stakes, a biner is attached to the rope, using a larks head (which you can do without involving any rope ends...just loop it on in place). The rope then goes to a loop between the stakes; the pull is therefore shared between the two of them. The rope goes from the loop, back to the biner, where it is tied off.

so in your mind's eye, imagine that the loop between stakes is a biner at the end of tree huggers, the biner that's on the rope is an SMC ring, and you've got the same idea.

Grizz

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    So TeeDee got mad and left Sqt. Rock's forum also?
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast