DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images

Video: 2sticks at Linville Gorge October 2010

Linville Gorge Hangout October 2010

2sticks, Rayn, and I arrived at the Gorge on Thursday morning. We met several HF members when we arrived. It was cool to put faces on forum names. 2sticks was pretty quiet but was soaking it all up. We decided to just base camp on Thursday and enjoy the day. There were already a lot of hammocks hanging so we spent some time finding a location to set 3 hammocks up. 2sticks and I set up our bridge hammocks close together. I hung the tarp in the high mode with my hammock not really covered. There was not room to hang a second tarp and I was not worried about it because I don’t mind seeing the stars. This made for an interesting night.

We decided to hike up to Hawksbill in evening. 2sticks was not feeling the best but we had a fairly quick hike up the mountain. The views were incredible and so was the wind. It would move you a couple feet when it would gust. 2sticks did not like this too much so we did not wait for sunset. She went down the mountain non-stop to base camp. The wind was not bad off the mountain.

We fixed supper and hung out around the fire. 2sticks loves to just listen and soak up the conversation.

We went to the hammocks around 10pm. The “hurricane” hit around midnight. I looked out of my swinging bridge hammock to literally see 2sticks higher than I was in her bridge hammock (Her hammock was much lower than mine to start with), Needless to say, 2sticks did not care much for this. I got up and re-positioned the tarp to cover her hammock with the edges close to the ground. This took care of the wind swinging the hammock but the noise was still very loud. I went to the ground for a little while under her tarp until she told me she was OK. Rayn was ready to let 2sticks and I get in the WBBB and he would use my bridge under 2sticks tarp. 2sticks told me to be quiet and get in my hammock. This left me under the stars and I think I earned my Gorge Rat patch. I would grab a tree (that was out of reach when still) every time I heard the wind train coming. It was like being in a storm at sea. It was kind of cool until the really big gusts would come. I was tied to a smaller tree that would bow in, then swing the other way. It was a good test of the Dutch Clips because those straps were taking a beating. Even without the tarp and the high winds I was very warm. The UQ and TQ blocked the wind much more than I expected. I saw that 2sticks had gone to sleep and proceeded to get plenty of sleep myself. Needless to say, the wind was the topic of discussion the next morning.

2sticks was still not feeling the best and the windy night experience was not helping. She was not sure if she wanted to go on an overnight hike to the river or not. Hawkeye invited us to go to breakfast at the famous Louise’s restaurant and this was just the ticket. The good company, good cooking, and even more important the good bathroom resulted in 2sticks feeling much better. When we got back she wanted to go to the water. Rayn, jbryan, 2sticks, and I packed up for an overnight trip.

We went down the Spence Ridge trail to the bridge that crosses the river. We continued on the Linville Gorge trail to campsite #16 or #17. It was right on the river and level with river so it made a great camp.

This time 2sticks and I used a Clark UL and a DIY hammock under the same tarp. We set up in a rock bowl and put the tarp low but the night ended up being very calm. We enjoyed the company of Rayn and jbryan for the evening and had a great nights sleep.

We hiked out the next morning. We met some more HF members in base camp. We had left 2sticks bridge hammock hanging in base camp. We took it down and Cooldays decided it was a good place to hang his hammock. Hope his night was calmer than ours in that spot! We hung out in base camp until about 4pm visiting with other HF members. 2sticks was worried about missing her Halloween activities the next day and was ready to go home.

I want to thank Hawkeye and everyone else that helped plan this hang. There was a city of hammocks in camp and everyone was great.

Sorry to miss the swedish candle and company at the campfire Saturday night but will see some of you at other hangs in the future. I want to get back to the Gorge and spend a few nights on the river.

Thanks again

hangnout & 2sticks

We spent more time enjoying the hang than taking video but here is some of our trip

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    Chinook 14X12
    Insulation
    KAQ w/ deep winter
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Aw man, great trip report and video! I love me some Linville Gorge! You got some great video of the river! I know the Linville hurricane winds you speak of! We camped on top of shortoff Mtn. one time and about 30 minutes before sun up we quickly woke up and broke camp because we thought the heavy rains were coming! Nope, just the Hurricane winds blowing up the gorge. Literally I had to reach my hand out of my tent to be sure it wasn't raining, sounded like it!

I cannot wait to get to the gorge just after Christmas.

Thanks,
    Tbull

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    Awwww, what a great video and trip report! I still can't believe I was there too. The gorge is awesome! I hope someone has video of the wind!
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    "Were going on an adventure",,,very nice
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    HG4seasonCFw/doors
    Insulation
    Hammock gear UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Looks like that was a lot of fun. Definitely "Go'in on an adventure."
    Jose Diaz

Hammock
    Eno Doublenest
    Tarp
    OES Standard
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel w\MSH
    Images
    Beautiful scenery. Love the music. Thanks for the vid!

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Speer SWT
    Insulation
    hammockgear.com
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Thanks for the great video and report 2Sticks and Hangnout. That was really nice! Hope to see you again soon!

Ken
    http://www.linvillegorge.net

"You can't hem up a Rat!" Malcom Johnson, ca. 1970

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Treestrap
    Hangnout and 2Sticks that sure is a great video and trip report. Thanks for sharing.
    Terry

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Loved seeing ya'll in one of my most treasured spots .... the Linville Gorge!
    Toting that rhododendron .... I do that as well.
    Bridges on top of the Gorge and gathereds at the river .... ya'll know how to live.
    Right good stuff .... and Happy After-Halloween......
    Shug

Happy After-Halloween!
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Rhino
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    HammockGear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Really enjoy Gorge videos. Good job. Can't wait until my trip there. I just hope the wind don't blow that hard!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast