DIY 126 x 60 Tablecloth
    Tarp
    JRB 10 x 11
    Insulation
    New River/Owhyee
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images

In the beginning...or, How do they do it?

In the beginning options were few and, on the whole, Hammock camping information was very dispersed; from Youngblood's site, to the Yahoo Groups, Just Jeff, Speer's book etc. Tinkerers and philosophies blossomed and then ripened into what you see now; but in the beginning the options were few...

For example, if you wanted a gathered end hammock made of camo material you had to make it, or if you wanted a double layer hammock, you had to make it. Speer and Hennessey were the kings, indeed they were the only contenders of any merit for some time. Tarp options were even fewer, but soon we had cat cut tarps of all shapes and sizes, then the Hammock hut and Winter Tarps emerged...

Insulation had always been modified, from pads to frankenpods and everything in between. Your choices were Speer down or pads, then cam along modified sleeping bags, then the KAQ, now we have, well, whatever we want...

Many people saw the light and jumped right in to fill the gaps, JRB among the first, then others, and the list is still growing...

But, what truly amazes me is this: This year my family has decided to MAKE Christmas gifts instead of BUYING Christmas gifts. My idea was to make some hammocks and some gravity filters for the boys/men. As I priced the components here is what I found.

For less money than I can buy the individual components I can buy a Warbonnet Traveler, and I don't hafta sew it. Same thing on the water filter; all tolled it will cost me just over $65, I can buy one for $69. Synthetic underquilt kit for $90 from AHE or the MMG IX for $90. It just blows me away the quality of workmanship (and workwomanship) of these products at the price point.

The newbies have no idea how easy they have it!

I usually DIM (do it myself) because I can do a better job, build something not available or do it cheaper; this just isn't the case anymore for my hammocking needs, and I am glad for it.

It's a great time to be a hammock camper! And thanks to all of you who have stepped out and started businesses for the community; I can spend less time making - and more time using - my gear!
    "I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds
    Mind of a Rat Youtube Channel

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hogn8r View Post
    In the beginning options were few and, on the whole, Hammock camping information was very dispersed; from Youngblood's site, to the Yahoo Groups, Just Jeff, Speer's book etc. Tinkerers and philosophies blossomed and then ripened into what you see now; but in the beginning the options were few...

For example, if you wanted a gathered end hammock made of camo material you had to make it, or if you wanted a double layer hammock, you had to make it. Speer and Hennessey were the kings, indeed they were the only contenders of any merit for some time. Tarp options were even fewer, but soon we had cat cut tarps of all shapes and sizes, then the Hammock hut and Winter Tarps emerged...

Insulation had always been modified, from pads to frankenpods and everything in between. Your choices were Speer down or pads, then cam along modified sleeping bags, then the KAQ, now we have, well, whatever we want...

Many people saw the light and jumped right in to fill the gaps, JRB among the first, then others, and the list is still growing...

But, what truly amazes me is this: This year my family has decided to MAKE Christmas gifts instead of BUYING Christmas gifts. My idea was to make some hammocks and some gravity filters for the boys/men. As I priced the components here is what I found.

For less money than I can buy the individual components I can buy a Warbonnet Traveler, and I don't hafta sew it. Same thing on the water filter; all tolled it will cost me just over $65, I can buy one for $69. Synthetic underquilt kit for $90 from AHE or the MMG IX for $90. It just blows me away the quality of workmanship (and workwomanship) of these products at the price point.

The newbies have no idea how easy they have it!

I usually DIM (do it myself) because I can do a better job, build something not available or do it cheaper; this just isn't the case anymore for my hammocking needs, and I am glad for it.

It's a great time to be a hammock camper! And thanks to all of you who have stepped out and started businesses for the community; I can spend less time making - and more time using - my gear!
    Very well said...and thanks! We are all beneficiaries of the entrepreneurs who supply our gear needs and wants!!
    "The more I carry the happier I am in camp; the less I carry the happier I am getting there" - Sgt. Rock

+1

But DIY is soooooo much fun

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    Well said indeed!!!!!!! To the men and wemon who have brought us all of the fabulous products and ideas my hat is off to you!!!!!!!! Good luck to all of the vendors and inventors of the site, may the future be just as prosperious.
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

Images
    Aint it the truth! I am amazed they can offer these quality products, at the prices they ask, and without even any real mass production!

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    HG4seasonCFw/doors
    Insulation
    Hammock gear UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I've got to repeat the thanks. I'm so glad that I don't have to reinvent the wheel here. Between the information ant the quality cottage industry I have all I need to get started and keep going.

Thank you to all who work so hard to make these quality products, and participate in this community.
    Jose Diaz

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Whoooooo .... that is why I do not DIY as much as I used to.
    Too much good stuff out there and time is money.
    Shug
    I pay myself $125 an hour .... I am a good boss.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DIY Speer-type
    Tarp
    modded SG 12' x12'
    Insulation
    CCF and DAM
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Kudos to all the cottage industry manufacturers!
    "Interesting! No, wait, the other thing.....tedious!"- Bender Bending Rodriques

Hammock
    WB Tribe
    Tarp
    OGeeTarp & OES
    Insulation
    PHOENIX/BURROW
    Suspension
    Webbing N Whoopie
    Dang!!

I sure do like hiking, camping, and just generally hanging out with all me friends in the Piney woods...I am talking about all of my cottage industry stuff (gear). Because I prefer to buy most of my gear from the Cottage Industry Girls and Guys here on HF I feel like I am using something of very high quality (because I am), that was less expensive then the big boys could produce, and best of all...it has been custom made to my specifictions by a freind...and that my freinds is the best part of it all.

I too am amazed by how these people can produce something of such high quality and yet offer it at such a low price. How do you acquire all the gear you want or think you need...like eating an elephant....one bite at a time.

New comers enjoy and take advantage of all that there is to offer for your use!

BTW-When I do get the chance to meet one of my cottage industry freinds...it is a truly special moment, and is definetely appreciated by this wittle guy.
    "If'n I'm gonna fall, someone is gonna' watch."
    Sean Emery

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Americans working in America...what a concept!

Thanks, Hogn8r, for saying it so well.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

• + New Posts